Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I think there's room for both types of tents as they each have their own strengths.

Exactly. Everything is a trade-off; everyone just needs to pick the style that has the features most important to him/her.

Most of my hunts here in CO are September backpack hunts so I very rarely carry a stove, I just can't justify the extra weight. Although with the way things are shaping up with stoves these days, that weight can be pretty low. But in September, a stove is rarely needed.

I've gone to floorless pyramid tarp-tents with a single center pole for my hunting trips like the old mega-mid and SL-5. We rarely get wet heavy snow in September, I can pitch in the trees out of the wind, bugs are not a problem and I don't need a floor or a tent designed to stand up to snow loads or heavy winds. I want the lightest weight possible to cover two hunters and their gear and that style tent provides it.

I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what he needs, I always figure that most guys can figure that out for themselves, based on what's most important to them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.