Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

KC, why do you think someone should start with a $250 REI tent over something like a BT2?

Alaska lance:

You ask a reasonable question. Here's a reasonable answer. There are several reasons why I prefer double-wall tents over single wall tepees.

1. I don't like moisture condensing on the walls with nothing to keep it off on me and my gear. Sure you can raise the walls above the ground and improve ventilation, but that only works when it's warm enough to allow that.

2. I don't like rolling around in the dirt, mud, leaves, wet grass, snow, frozen ground and getting my sleeping bag filthy. Yeah, you can carry a ground tarp but that adds weight that partially defeats the purpose of carrying a lightweight tent.

3. I think operating the small stoves with lots of small pieces of wood is a PITA that I don't want to mess with.

4. I don't like placing a stove or stove pipes that are covered in soot into my pack.

5. I think prices for the single-wall syl-nylon teepees are obscene. My single-wall teepee cost a lot less than those high $$$ tents.

6. I don't like fighting insects inside my tent.

7. I prefer free-standing tents in most situations.

8. I prefer a streamlined dome style tent to shed the wind rather than a tent that sticks up into the wind 5' or 6' or more.

9. I think that someone new to the sport should start with something simple and inexpensive like a 3-season dome tent.

I use double wall tents ten times more than I use my single wall teepee. I do use a single wall teepee when it's appropriate to the situation. You can't see it very well but there's a Go Lite SL-5 with a small stove in the background of this photo.

[Linked Image]

BTW I've shelved the REI QD T-2 for a Copper Spur because the Big Agnes tent weighs less. I was just using that tent as an example.

I just re-read my reasons. There are a lot of "I don't like" and "I prefer" in my reasons. So I guess in the final analysis it comes down to personal preference.

BTW there's now another thread on this forum regarding a Sierra Designs Mountain Guide Tarp with a LiteOutdoors Titanium stove. sollybug gives a good review.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.