I think there is a place for 4 season tents like a Hilleberg which is why I own one (Jannu). That said if I think I can get away with it I prefer a floorless tipi much like PGSalton does.

Often I for go the stove, but when wood is around and the temps dictate then I bring a stove along as well. But for most of the May-August outings I use a tipi without a woodstove.

Time and a place for both, but I do enjoy the space and warmth of a tipi with a stove.

Just often even at 3k+ feet in Alaska there isn't enough willows/alder to make bringing a stove a viable option. In the Brooks most of the willow alder was really just along the river bottoms. Certainly isn't enough to consistently burn stuff at 4k'. I have no doubt there are pockets of small dwarf birch and the like, but I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

One you try a stove and tipi its hard to go back.

KC, why do you think someone should start with a $250 REI tent over something like a BT2?

I wish I would have skipped passed and saved my money and not bottom a few of the 3 season 4-5 pound backpacking tents I purchased when figuring out what worked for me.

I think Ed's advice is pretty sound certainly.