Bearrr,
<br>
<br>I am sure you will agree there are many differnt methods employed, when hunting. No one method works the best, all the time. There are times when the use oif binocs adds no advantage at all. There are times when without the use of binos is fullhearty, at best.
<br>
<br>As far as killing deer with one scope or another or one rifle or another. My first buck was killed when I was 12, in 1965. Anybody can figure out that I am now 49 years young. I killed that spike buck with a 32 win spcl and iron sights at less than 100 yards. I used a 32 win for the next 5 years, again, iron sights. In 1971 I bought my first rifle, on my own. It was a Marlin 336 chambered for 35 Rem, again, no scope, Iron sights. After a few years I bought a 4X Bushnell Banner with a BDC. The BDC was useless to me. I killed many deer with that rifle/scope combo. If I had to venture a guess it would be somewhere around 100 deer. My furthest kill was no more then 150 yards. I graduated to my first bolt action rifle and purchased a used Rem 700 ADL chambered in 7mm mag. Looking back NOW I should have went with the 280 but hindsight is 20/20 as we all know.
<br>
<br>My requirements now are much different then what they were back then. I know enjoy the challenges of long range hunting even though on occasion I still walk and stalk hunt. I was fortunate enough to get my deer on opening day, this past season, at a mere 350 yards. Since my buddy didn't get his I grabbed my 7mm mag and became the dog. I walked, slowly through various small patches of woods, hoping to spook some deer and hoping they would go in the direction of my buddy. I have, on rare occasions spooked up bucks in the local woods and have had opportunities to kill them at close range. I have spooked deer out of their beds, never saw them, but heard them. When I got through the small patch of woods I saw deer across a field. Maybe the one(s) I spooked, maybe not. It is then that I would crank up the power on the scope, get steady leaning against a tree and kill one providing I could be 99% sure when I squeezed the trigger, it was going to be shot where I planned.
<br>
<br>Expense is another criteria. Back in the 60's and 70's I couldn't afford the higher quality optics I now enjoy using. But, to compare optics is just that, the price will determine if your pocketbook will allow one to buy the higher quality but it doesn't negate the fact that they are higher quality.
<br>
<br>I am glad you have had so much success in hunting and I hope you have many more years in doing just that.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove