Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I have decided to pay off ALL my debt(excepting my mortgage) in 2015. I'm considering selling a LOT of my hunting/fishing gear if I need to to make that happen.

I think its a great idea and did much the same thing, except I didnt hit the gun cabinet as hard as I hit other areas (optics, musical equip, fishing reels, sporting goods, household stuff...)

No new hobby $ unless its funded by selling old/other stuff. Period.

I am still following my plan, and have been making solid gains in debt reduction. I didnt have stupid debt, but I also dont make much and the current climate means I likely wont be seeing big gains. I decided not to pursue a (more lucrative) career change, since i not only love my job but i am rather good at it. So, if I was to stay in a great job that offers mediocre pay, I'd have to be OK with some lifestyle adjustments...

in addition to selling off stuff that was just "stuff", I altered my behaviors as they relate to food/eating and some other habits. THIS is where the greatest gains come from. Phone bill/internet bill/utility, prop taxes, car ins, PMI, cable, lunch, breakfast, beers, booze... refi... There is money to be saved if you change your habits and lifestyle a little.

I am driving a 14 year old car thats paid for, I brown bag it every day, said FU to cable TV of any kind, I shamelessly obtain movies and shows from the net, eat healthy but smart breakfast at home instead of continuing being a regular at 3 local diners, and I basically never buy myself any clothing.

I sold off and continue to sell off stuff I dont use. So yes, I think yours is a good idea so long as its implemented with some wise lifestyle adjustment (above).

Here's some advice- I decided NOT to sell the 03 springfield and some other guns that my dad gave me. I am very glad i didnt.

Good for you, and good luck with it. Just dont sell heirlooms or stuff that has sentiment.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.