Originally Posted by GSPfan
I like custom rifles and have a couple, I don't like synthetic stocks. A custom rifle is a one of a kind item and Darcy is one of the best. In the mass produced world we live in quality stands out but it costs money. If a Ruger, Rem, Winchester ect works for you then fine but don't run a man down because he charges more than you can afford for a custom built rifle of exceptional quality.
I think I'll order a hat and maybe a T-shirt as well. I can wear them to the SXS shoots I attend smile

Well you are in luck get yourself a classic with nice french walnut

CLASSIC RIFLES

Functional elegance that endures

My Classic Rifles represent the best of my skills as designer, craftsman and artisan. Each project combines precision metal work and the finest stock work to accomplish the client’s goals. I carry with me many decades of experience in the traditional school of classic rifle making, component engineering and manufacture.

My goal is to create a piece of functional art that offers the owner intrinsic value. My standards emphasize exceptional fit, feel, accuracy and balance. I build the Classic rifles to withstand the rigors of the field around the world.

Within this text you will find a general layout for what materials I prefer to use for each project and the typical construction parameters. I will consider any reasonable request for those that seek something out of the ordinary. I believe my finest projects have always appeared quite subtle. With this in mind simplistic elegance is always my goal.

Classic Light Sporter

I have found the following components ideal for a Classic Light Sporter. The current production long and medium, right and left handed Winchester Model 70 actions. Chambering choices are limited to those calibers for which factory ammunition is currently available. Popular favorites are the 257 Roberts, 260 Remington, 270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, 7mm Remington Magnum, 30-06 Springfield, 300 H&H Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum, 338 Winchester magnum and 9.3x62 Mauser.

Metal Work
1. Machine and modify the action’s magazine well, rails, bullet ramp and ejection port as required for the chosen caliber. Surface-grind and machine the action to re-establish all appropriate external flat and radial surfaces above and below the stock line.

2. Re-machine the receiver threads when necessary; re-machine the recoil lug seats, recoil lugs, receiver face and bolt face. Install a premium grade Chrome-Moly barrel. The barrel contour and length will be appropriate for the particular caliber chosen. Each barrel is installed with techniques and tooling which assure the maximum accuracy potential from the chosen components.

3. Install a custom made Echols & Co. straddle-guard magazine assembly that is appropriate for the caliber and action. Magazine capacity will be determined by the caliber chosen. All standard calibers such as the 270 Winchester and 30/06 magazine assemblies have a five round capacity. Our standard length Model 70 magnum magazine assembly will hold 4 rounds down and 1 in the chamber, without being a drop-box design.

4. Install an Echols & Co. two-piece scope mount system. This solid steel mount is available for both 1” and 30 mm scopes, and features an integral base and lower ring half that is precision fit and secured to the action with at least four (and sometimes five) 8x40 Torx head screws. The front and rear rings of the action are surface ground concentric to the centerline of the bolt bore before the scope mount is installed. The ring I.D. is bored to the actual external diameter of the scope tube, thus assuring a perfect mechanical fit with the scope, a step virtually unheard of in the industry today. The top half of the ring secures the scope in place with four 8x40 Torx head screws. After final installation of the rings the scope tube is under no stress whatsoever. The mounts are made individually to allow the scope to be mounted as close to the centerline of the bore as is possible with the chosen scope, without crowding or overhanging the ejection port. This is a non-detachable scope mount and the only one that we will install on our Classic or Legend rifles. It is the only mount that I have used which will positively hold a heavy scope and prevent motion under extreme recoil.

5. Install a custom bolt handle that has a checkered bolt knob with an engraved, bordered rosette pattern. The position of the new handle will allow the desired scope to be mounted as low as possible and will assure easy manipulation of the bolt. Replace, rebuild, or install the appropriate wing safety.

6. Modify, detail and/or checker the bolt stop. Modify and precision-finish the factory trigger unit or install and modify a quality aftermarket trigger unit. The trigger lever will be modified and detailed as well.

7. Engrave the lettering for the following items: Caliber, Model #, Construction Ser #, D’Arcy Echols & Co., Millville, Utah, USA. If requested as an option the customer’s
Initials will be engraved in a gold initial inlay, installed in the corporal line of the stock or into the trigger bow itself. The socket head guard screws, sling swivel bases, cross bolt heads and grip cap screw will also be engraved with a rosette pattern.

8. All the appropriate metal work will be hand polished prior to being caustic immersion blued. The bolt body will be left blued with only the bullet ramp and side rails polished bright, unless otherwise requested.

Stock Work

9. Every rifle stock I make today originates from a pattern stock I’ve made. This pattern is modified to anatomically fit the client’s required stock dimensions. The French walnut blank is first machined ¼” oversized, removed from the machine, and then allowed to stress relieve for a month. The stock is then returned to the Hoenig pantograph and machined to the final dimensions. The barreled action is then hand fit into the machined blank. The actions and magazines are fully bedded with metal to wood contact and supported by aluminum pillars. Unless otherwise requested the barrel is tastefully Free Floated from the barrel shank forward with a minimal amount of clearance along the barrel on both sides and an adequate amount of clearance under the barrel. After 30 years of building both Legends and Classics I am convinced this method is far superior to the traditional full-length bedding procedure with forend contact on a bedding pad behind the tip. I have observed over time that bedded in the traditional method that the point of impact will begin to change as the forend wood begins to relax over the years. It is fashionable for rifle makers to insist that they apply 5 to 10 lbs of upward barrel pressure at the tip and that this is the secret to accuracy. I have never been able to understand how a steel rifle barrel can be pre-loaded or bent by 10 inches of French walnut. The reverse actually happens and as the years go by the forend wood relaxes. At this point there is variable pressure applied to the forend and errors in accuracy can occur as well as zero for the iron sight point of impact begins to change vertically.

The stock design will incorporate a contemporary straight comb or Monte-Carlo when required or requested. An appropriate grip profile and a contemporary American style cheek piece or European style cheek piece with a shadow line depending on the clients taste. The stock will be made from thoroughly dried French, European, New Zealand, Turkish or Californian thin shell walnut only. Dramatic contrast and mineral marking is quite desirable in a stock blank, and many stock blanks are chosen for these characteristics only. However, proper grain layout in the blank is a critical consideration, and great care is taken in the selection of every stock blank. All critical stock dimensions are tailored to the individual client. Typical stock measurements for a right hand, scope-sighted rifle are as follows:

Length of pull 13-3/4"
Drop at the comb 5/8"
Drop at the heel 7/8"
Pitch 3 degrees
Cast off or cast on at toe 3/8"
Cast off or cast on at heel 3/16”

10. Installation of the following hardware is standard:

Bedding pillars to support the front and rear guard screws
Precision socket head guard screws
Echols single screw, steel, grip cap
Burgess/Echols rear swivel base and front swivel base
Installation of a 1” red recoil pad
Checkered typically with a 24 line per inch open point pattern
Hand applied polymerized oil/varnish finish.

The estimated weight of this rifle, with scope and full magazine, is between 8 lbs and 9 lbs. Weight will be dependent upon the caliber and action.

11. While under construction the rifle is test fired many times at our range to confirm that feed, function, accuracy, scope viability and safety requirements are completely met. A variety of factory ammunition is used during testing to determine which ammunition delivers the best accuracy for that particular rifle. We have found that most of our customers are knowledgeable and experienced riflemen that want Precision Load Development for their rifle. We are pleased to develop such data when requested.

Total labor and material cost $ 32,000.00

This price does not include the cost of the scope, test fire ammunition or final shipping and handling expenses.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT