So the other night I am watching long range pursuits, and young hunter (teens) shot and harvested an elk at supposedly 1375 yards. I had a knot in my stomach just watching, for me this was an unethical shot. Sure he took the shot and killed the animal, but it seemed more for show than in sportsmanship. I know most hunter aren't shooting at these distances but it got me thinking, What are people using to guide (ethical) shots on elk and deer. And what I really mean is this. I generally want to deliver 1800 lbs of energy for elk and 800-900 lbs of energy for deer. For elk I prefer a bullet with a sectional density of at least .250 - .260 if it shoots well in my rifle with a high BC. Plus that bullet needs to be able to penetrate without separation. So I'm shooting a 160 Accu 7mmSTW, 200 Fusion 338 Fed (closer ranges), and 165 TBBT 30-06 for elk. Plus I'm not personally comfortable shooting more than 400 yards in any of these rifle, although I'm sure the rifles/bullets can be effect beyond this limit.

What thoughts and limits have you put on your elk rifle/bullet set-up if any? or did you just say "180 Part 30-06 works for everyone I know so I'll use it, " or maybe "this magazine says I need a 210 TTX in a 338 mag.."

And I'm curious what the 243 elk hunters use to guide them, and others who use less popular elk calibers? And yes shot placement is the most important aspect.

Thanks