My yardstick is complicated and simple at the same time. Simple because I only pull the trigger when I'm sure that I will hit what I'm aiming at. Complicated because there are a lot of variables that go into making that decision.

Bullet construction is only one item in the long list of things to consider. I use a bullet that I'm sure will kill the animal that I am hunting. I make that decision long before I go into the field so I never think about it when hunting. For elk I use a 180 grain Nosler Partition because I know that works.

I also use a rifle that I'm sure will do the job. That decision is also made long before I go into the field and it includes lots of practice. So that's another item that I don't have to think about when hunting. For elk I use a T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06.

Other things that I consider automatically include:
Range to the target,
Rifle Rest - is my rifle stable?
Wind - specially a cross wind,
My Breathing Rate,
Target Activity,
Visibility - can I see well enough to make clean kill,
Backstop - what's behind the target?

I shot one elk at a range so far that the range finder couldn't get a fix on a solid reflective target. I estimated it at about 500 yards because reflective targets near and in front of him were recording ranges around 450 yards. I shot twice and hit him twice after watching him graze for about 15 minutes. It took that long for me to dope it out.

BTW I know a young lady (20 something) that has killed 6 elk using 115 grain Nosler Partitions in a 25-06. She's not very big so bigger calibers present a recoil challenge to her. She just makes sure that she hits the animal in the right place. Like you said "shot placement is the most important aspect."

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.