I hunt in florida frequently with a revolver,and of course my experience may not match other peoples, Ive used several calibers and revolvers I personally like the S&W 29 44 mag with either a 8 3/8 or 10 5/8" barrel the load a 310 grain lee over 21 grains of H110.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hunting with a hand gun always involves your being forced to make some compromises, a revolver with iron sites will be limited by both your eye sight and the distance between the front & rear sights. this ability to hit exactly where you want with open sights limits the effective range.
a revolver is generally going to use strait case cartridges starting with a 357 mag and dependent on the shooter preferences anywhere up to a 500 S&W , the 41-44 mags and 45 colt and 454 cassul are all very able to kill deer at 120-140 yards or so rather easily with the correct loads, most people I know have found the larger revolvers like the 445 DWSM and the 460 and 500 S&W a bit larger and heavier than ideal, but there are guys who enjoy those but it takes extensive practice and ammos much more expensive.
[Linked Image]
now if your willing to use optical sights like a scope or red dot optical sites your going to extend that range limitation but make the easy handling of a revolver noticeably less handy.
yes theres zero question that theres a few single shot break action and bolt action hand guns that will mount a scope and are more accurate , but most are at least in my opinion less handy, but also very effective IF your willing to put up with the size and weight penalty.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ive always felt if your willing to put up with that size and weight you might as well buy and use a light carbine
[Linked Image]