Originally Posted by Bling
Thinking on picking up a pistol to try to kill a deer with this fall. Give me some recommendations please. Buddy has a tc contemder in a 308 but I believe that would be more than i want. I won't be able to shoot far in mtns of Virginia maybe 75-100 yards max. Would I be better with a 243 in a contender or get like a smith in a 41mag with a scope or a dot? All I put is Be appreciated

You answered your own question. If you are or were thinking of a .41 Mag, get one with a 4" to 6" barrel and you'll do just fine. Less recoil than a .44 Mag, shoots a tad flatter, kills just as well, with just as much or more penetration. You'll shoot through deer every time with a good cast bullet.

Scope or dot is great, or practice more and use iron sights. All good for 100 yards and a bit more.

Or go with a .44 Mag or .45 Colt. Of those two, the .45 Colt will do what the .44 Mag can do just as easily. No need for rip snortin' he-man loads from either. 1,200-1,300 fps will do with 240-250 gr. bullets.

Main thing is, shoot enough to learn how to shoot whatever it is you decide to go with.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~