I carry two separate loads in gun sometimes. Never more than two. I can't say there are good reasons for it. Just a Looney thing. I've got several loads in 30-06 that impact within 3/4" at 100, and a few that match closely enough to 400, all with bullets 180-185 grains. The only load I shoot beyond 400 is a Berger 185. I don't want to fart around with any unnecessary variables beyond 400.

Usually the idea is that if I end up with a 40 yd shot at an elk, I'll have something more stout than a Berger, such as an Interbond or more recently a Partition, in the chamber. I've seen that this doesn't matter, as I've not seen any problems with Bergers on close stuff, included quartering away. But it doesn't have to make sense. After reading Klik's post about bullet testing, I think that may actually be one of the reasons for the two loads in the gun that I don't consciously think about. I'm always trying to test something to see what it will do, but I also don't want to risk an animal. I've not ever lost anything I hit, and I won't start now.

I edited to add that more often than not, when I'm hunting, deer AND elk are the quarry. Usually hunting for elk, and will take a buck if the elk have left the the county/state/nation/continent, and Muley presents himself in a giftlike fashion.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 05/14/15.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.