Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The Duggars are (were) one of the last vestiges of clean, family friendly programming on television.

You should care because the media is once again doing everything they can to vilify the traditional, Christian family.

That's an important part of this story.

I have a problem with the whole underpinnings of the Duggars TV show, though, and it comes from my experiences in the past in fundamentalist/evangelical Christian circles. It occurred to me many, many years ago that many of the folks who sought the limelight in church circles were not the healthiest people I knew (psychologically speaking).

The healthy Christians who make up the backbone of most good churches are solid, healthy, happy, folks... and from an entertainment point of view, dull and uninteresting. Almost inevitably, it seems, the ones who seek (and get) the most attention aren't exactly salt of the earth.

I worked for 4 years as a teacher and vice principal of a Christian school back in the early 80's. There was a lot of hoopla and flash about the host church, and the school itself. I didn't care much for that part of it, just did my bit to the best of my ability. The leader of the whole deal was a great pastor, a wonderfully charismatic guy who made everybody feel great about themselves and their church/school. Eventually the whole thing came apart, in no small part because this wonderful pastor was screwing the principal's wife (and half a dozen other prominent married women in the congregation), among several other scandals, including at least one family where sexual abuse of daughters/sisters was going on. I had moved on a year or two before this all came to light, thank God, but many good friends went through this and it wrecked a lot of lives.

I wish I could say that was an exceptional case, but I'm aware of many other cases like this. It doesn't seem to be as big a problem among more traditional church denominations, for what that's worth.

YMMV. This whole thing saddens me on multiple levels.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars