Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Scopes don't help you shoot better. They help you see better. On a target range, with a black bull against white paper, I can shoot effectively hundreds of yards. But in the field, my target can easily be much harder to see. Heck, in bad light, I might not even be able to see the front sight.
It doesn't take much scope to really help one see better. Even the 2.5X scopes help alot. E

Bingo!

My Browning B92 .44 Mag has factory buckhorn irons. I'm not going to change it because it was a gift from Dad. On sunny days I have no problems hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards but the biggest bull I've ever had in my sights got walking papers at that distance because it was overcast and I was in the aspens, which further darkened things. Couldn't get a good sight picture and finally let the bull walk.

All my other rifles and even my .44 Mag handgun have scopes. Someone said scopes don't help you shoot better, they help you see better. I disagree - when I can't see the irons I can't shoot well.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/25/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.