With the buckhorns on my TC sidelock coupled with it's rainbow trajectory with the big conicals I shoot I limit myself to 75-80yards.

My high powered rifles that wear Lyman and Redfield aperture sights and Sourdough post fronts I have no issue shooting 250-300 yards on stuff I'd shoot that far away with any other rifle. Sighting in so the bullets land on top of the post at 100 yards allows me to shoot some pretty decent groups with irons and gives me the confidence to know I can make hits well past common "woods" ranges.

I'm not very old but I don't have really good vision either. Getting away from bead front sights and buckhorn rears opened up a whole other genre of rifle for me when I discovered post fronts and peeps with the aperture removed. I enjoy shooting and hunting with irons so much I've built a couple rifles that are stocked for irons and have no holes for mounting a scope. I've also bought or traded into a few that aren't drilled and won't be as long as I own them. I hunt with all of them and enjoy it. I've even went as far as making a peep for my Marlin 39 on my lunchbreak, it's all friction adjustments with no lead screws but it looks pretty good and works as well as anything for zeroing it and leaving it.
The Mrs and I are flying out for a long weekend of bear hunting Friday evening, my guncase will have my Remington 30 Express 30/06 in it with a Redfield peep, Whelen sling with hook eye swivels, and most likely a box of 200gr Partition handloads. I'll let you know how it turns out but I'm betting that if I get within 250 yards there'll be dead bear pictures.