Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by 4ager
Ah, how should this impact our Constitution and our laws? Easy; only real property owners (i.e., real estate) who are full citizens are allowed to vote or hold office.

You're probably smarter than me but isn't this taxation without representation? One of the major grievances that provided impetus for the founding of our country?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Franklyfresh
Ah, how should this impact our Constitution and our laws? Easy; only real property owners (i.e., real estate) who are full citizens are allowed to vote or hold office.

You're probably smarter than me but isn't this taxation without representation? One of the major grievances that provided impetus for the founding of our country?

No. Property taxes are, frankly, the only taxes (if any) that are truly Constitutional (aside from excise taxes and tariffs). Income tax is, at best, a means of wealth redistribution. Even if the above quote and Constitutional permissibility were expanded to included those who actually pay income taxes (net, not gross), the metric still does not change nor does the impact.

As for "likely being smarter than you"; doubt it, as there are many measures of "smart".

Last edited by 4ager; 12/29/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So property taxes would assessed federally and income taxes, sales taxes, capital gains, ect would all be abolished?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

No. Property taxes are, frankly, the only taxes (if any) that are truly Constitutional (aside from excise taxes and tariffs). Income tax is, at best, a means of wealth redistribution. Even if the above quote and Constitutional permissibility were expanded to included those who actually pay income taxes (net, not gross), the metric still does not change nor does the impact.

As for "likely being smarter than you"; doubt it, as there are many measures of "smart".
I guess if you are going to completely restructure taxation as you described, that would make a whole lot of sense. But as it stands today, property requirement to vote would certainly disenfranchise a large portion of tax paying citizens. The "price" for a vote would also become extremely fragmented across the US. I would certainly lose my vote to right and Id be pissed as hell.

Edit* I meant more knowledgeable rather than smart.

Last edited by Franklyfresh; 12/29/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
So property taxes would assessed federally and income taxes, sales taxes, capital gains, ect would all be abolished?

No; state by state for property taxes. Fed taxes are excise and tariffs. Yes, to the latter, with income being POSSIBLY remaining. If they don't pay, they don't have skin in the game, and they don't vote. Any net "no pay" results in "no vote, no office". A flat tax fixes this, but if the Feds want to play favorites then it comes with a price.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I guess if you are going to completely restructure taxation as you described, that would make a whole lot of sense. But as it stands today, property requirement to vote would certainly disenfranchise a large portion of tax paying citizens. The "price" for a vote would also become extremely fragmented across the US. I would certainly lose my vote to right and Id be pissed as hell.

Edit* I meant more knowledgeable rather than smart.

If folks want to figure out how to fix the entitlement culture and the violence it breeds within blacks, and abide by the Constitution, then they have to begin at the beginning.

Same response as far as "knowledgeable".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jimy
You are only shorting yourself by judging the masses by the actions of the few.

First off, let me say there are exceptional people of all colors/sizes etc.

But secondly we aren't judging the masses by the actions of a few, we are judging the masses by a significantly larger percentage of their demographic being involved in crime, and in violent crime.
Certainly white people, and brown people can and do commit violent crimes. But the percentage of their demographic doing so is considerably less. Call it cultural, racial, or whatever you chose but a real social problem exists that we are afraid to address directly due to political correctness.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
How many white people ripped their first set of indoor bathroom fixtures out because they couldn't figure out how to use them?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"First off, let me say there are exceptional people of all colors/sizes etc."

Yep, every race/creed/color has more than it's fair share of idgits. But some have numbers that are mind boggling. whistle

FJB & FJT
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Using the fire as a representative sample of white dudes, its my opinion that half of us are batshit crazy...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Using the fire as a representative sample of white dudes, its my opinion that half of us are batshit crazy...

More than 1/2, likely, but not violent.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

More than 1/2, likely, but not violent.

And if there is truth in jest, thats telling considering our preoccupations with the evil gun, here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

An easy fix.

Instead of allowing only property owners to vote, make it only people who aren't receiving government transfers are allowed to vote. Cut out all the welfare recipients and gov employees. The only gov employee I'd allow to vote, if I were king, would be military.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I came from ancestors who were slaveholders. Now, while I have no desire to own a slave, unless it became lawful to own a Swedish blonde girl, I feel no remorse whatsoever for what my ancestors did. Slavery was legal in Kentucky, and all across the South, and was an accepted way of life. My ancestors were Baptist like me, and I've found old church records which show that some of their slaves attended the same church as did their owners. Actually, that was an accepted practice back then, with religion also accepting slavery.

As I said, I'm not in the least bid ashamed that slavery was a part of family's past. I can't go back and change things, but I can change things that confront me today.....just like Blacks could change their behavior instead of trying to blame everything on the Whites who enslaved them over a 150 years ago. But, maybe they can't change their behavior after all, maybe it's still in their DNA to act as they do.....to murder, rob, rape, live lives of doing nothing constructive. If one has ever read the books written by the early African explorers, as I have, then you will get an insight into why Blacks are as they are today. They found the African people to be much like American Blacks are today.....lazy, shiftless, and leading lives that revolved around such things as murdering other natives, stealing their women, and doing as little as possible.

Do all Blacks act like that today? No, but the problem is that those who don't refuse to condemn those who do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
KYHillChick spent over a decade working in a program that Cincinnati Children's Hospital founded to combat teen pregnancy. She became a trained sex educator and worked with high schoolers, training them to turn around and conduct classes at the junior high level.

What impressed me the most about this program was the turnaround in the high schoolers, as well as the utter and complete ignorance that arrived with them when the entered the program. If black on black violence is anything like black on black sex, then the problem is not one of race, but rather abject ignorance. The people just do not know the basic mechanics and are completely clueless to the alternatives.

I do not want to go into purient details, but once you teach a young man or woman that there are alternatives to promiscuity, STD's, unwanted pregnancy, etc. and explain exactly how it all works, the rest comes pretty easy. Abstinence comes of its own accord. Attendance at school starts increasing, grades go up, pretty soon the kids are out looking for college scholarships and they get them.

It is easy to look at these folks and say that there is something innately different about them that makes them the way they are. I would answer that this is just as great an ignorance as these people are exhibiting. These people are a reflection of ourselves. These are our children if we did not raise them with proper values, or left them to fend for themselves without proper parents and proper supervision. These folks are ourselves if we were stripped of our civilized culture.

Back in the 50's and 60's Cincinnati rehabilitated the slums of our West End. What was torn down did not have any sanitary facilities, so whoever was living there had no knowledge of such things. I grew up in a building family, and was interested when I got to talk to a fellow who worked for the federal government when they came in and built the new housing.

What he said was that they built into the cost projections 3 complete changes of bathroom fixtures. When a family was given their new apartment, they were shown the bathroom and shown how to use it. Within a month or so, those fixtures had been torn off the wall, and they were using a hole in the floor. New fixtures were put in and the training was repeated. This time, the folks had some idea of what was going on, but they still managed to break the fixtures in the process of use. The third change of fixtures usually stayed put for a normal life span.

If you take this example and blow it out to an entire society, you have some idea of what needs to be done. We need to get past the "soft bigotry of low expectations" that Rush Limbaugh discusses and set this society on a path of leading the disadvantaged out of ignorance. Poverty and deprivation will slowly disappear, but we are still on the first change of fixtures, and the people still think it all goes down the hole in the floor, and if it doesn't you use a broom handle to get it down.

One of my former neighbors taught in what passes for an inter-city high school, Omaha North HS, and he has told me that a lot of his students were interrelated, due to feral breeding over several generations. North Omaha, a geographic area that is largely black and poor, has the City's high rate of crime, teen births, single mother births, gang activity, and cases of gonorrhea. Is this due to culture, race, poverity, some other factor, or a combination of all factors?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by BarryC

An easy fix.

Instead of allowing only property owners to vote, make it only people who aren't receiving government transfers are allowed to vote. Cut out all the welfare recipients and gov employees. The only gov employee I'd allow to vote, if I were king, would be military.

I think an easy fix is an overstatement. Government employees still pay taxes as well as welfare recipients. It'd sure be nice to find a clean & easy way to exclude those who truly do not deserve a vote but such broad prerequisites will without a doubt disenfranchise deserving individuals, which is arguably one of the most essential rights within a social contract that the US is built upon.

The hard part is creating a segmentation that will not affect the suffrage of citizens who do have a stake in the country while eliminating those who do not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They may pay taxes, but they don't pay taxes in net.
Gov salary - taxes = net. It would be impossible for them to be paying more than they are getting.

If you really believe what you said, send me $100 and I'll send you $50 back. Just think, $50 FREE! Helluva deal, right?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is how politics works these days.

Donors send a politician X amount of their dollars and the politician legislates to send someone else's money to the donor. A lot of times the donor is a gov employee getting a salary or grant. Win/win, right?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by BarryC
They may pay taxes, but they don't pay taxes in net.
Gov salary - taxes = net. It would be impossible for them to be paying more than they are getting.

If you really believe what you said, send me $100 and I'll send you $50 back. Just think, $50 FREE! Helluva deal, right?

I was trying to imply that there are more taxes than just income tax.
http://whatistaxed.com/other_taxes.htm

So the issue of taxation w/o representation is still present in that scenario.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So the issue of taxation w/o representation is still present in that scenario.

No, it's not.
What gov worker do you know or have even heard of that pays even 101% of their earnings in taxes of all sorts combined?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 673, 14 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,926
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.