Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Of course, the authors of the study blame this on discrimination, but it is really because LGBT have mental/emotional issues that express themselves in self-destructive behaviors like LGBT that they should be treated for. LGBT is an illness complex, just like cancer only with LGBT being symptoms.

Article Here
By Andrew M. Seaman

Gay, lesbian and bisexual individuals reported more health problems than straight men and women, in a large U.S. survey.

For the first time since its launch in 1957, the National Health Interview Survey in 2013 and 2014 included a question about sexual orientation.

With nearly 69,000 participants, the survey revealed that lesbian, gay and bisexual adults "were more likely to report impaired physical and mental health, heavy alcohol consumption, and heavy cigarette use, potentially due to the stressors that (they) experience as a result of interpersonal and structural discrimination," researchers wrote online June 28 in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Overall, 67,150 survey respondents were heterosexual, 525 lesbian, 624 gay and 515 bisexual. The average age was about 47.

Gilbert Gonzales of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville and colleagues found that compared to heterosexual women, lesbians were 91 percent more likely to report poor or fair health. Lesbians were 51 percent more likely, and bisexual women were more than twice as likely, to report multiple chronic conditions, compared to straight women.

Gay, lesbian and bisexual people were also more likely than heterosexuals to report heavy drinking and smoking.

While gays and lesbians reported worse psychological distress than heterosexuals, bisexual people suffered the most, the survey showed.

For example, about 17 percent of heterosexual men had at least moderate psychological distress, compared to about 26 percent of gay men and about 40 percent of bisexual men.

Similarly, about 22 percent of heterosexual women had at least moderate psychological distress, compared to about 28 percent of lesbian women and about 46 percent of bisexual women.

Gonzales told Reuters Health that the health disparities are likely due to the stress of being a minority, which is likely exacerbated among bisexual people, who may not be accepted by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.

"While there aren’t that many studies focusing on bisexual adults, previous studies have indicated they’re probably at greater risk," he said.

Other factors too, along with so-called minority stress, may account for health differences between heterosexuals and lesbian, gay and bisexual people, Gonzales said.

For example, he said, survey respondents may not have had access to marriage, which wasn't legalized at the federal level in the U.S. until 2015.

"It will be interesting to see how legal same-sex marriage will affect these health disparities," Gonzales said.

In a note published with the study, Dr. Mitchell Katz says the disparities may decrease with the growing acceptance of sexual minority populations.

"Health care professionals can help by creating environments that are inclusive and supportive of sexual minority patients," writes Katz, who is an editor of the journal.

"In caring for people who have experienced bias and discrimination, support is a very potent medicine," he writes.

"It’s important that all our federal surveys begin to collect sexual orientation status and gender identity," said Gonzales. "This kind of work would not be (possible) if the question wasn’t asked."

SOURCE: http://bit.ly/292xGb2 and http://bit.ly/292x85a

JAMA Intern Med 2016.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know why they can't find a cure for AIDS?
They can't teach rats to buttfuck smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Homosexuality IS a mental issue so 100% of them have it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think it is, maybe in some, but I'm pretty convinced is a freak of nature having to do with hormones/

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Doh! laugh

IC B2

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think it is, maybe in some, but I'm pretty convinced is a freak of nature having to do with hormones/

Just like cancer, no one single cause. Different types, different causes. Some more rare than others. I probably know more people with who have told me it is their choice than hormonal by about 10-1.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "choice" is driven by their hormonal composition. That said, ALL good looking chicks should be "bi" smile

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We aren't beasts. We have responsibility for and control over our actions.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

With billions of cells in the body, it only takes a few that differ from the "normal" bodily composition to cause differing preferences. I agree that homosexuality is generally biologically related. I don't think that a preference or choice is made; it's just the way God made them.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Like AIDS?

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jorgeI,

If your contention is true why is it that genetic twins are not all homosexuals when one is?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What are genetic twins, Fraternal or identical and the same can be said if one develops diabetis and the other doesn't, and I don't doubt the "Choice" can be driven by other factors, but no doubt in my mind (or the medical community) the issue of homos is a freak of nature.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I don't understand why someone who has been screwing the opposite sex for a most of their lives would tell me they have decided to live "the gay lifestyle". Sex? Well the ones I've talked to that made the switch at first weren't sure about that, but after several years they appear to have settled into it.

I swear, big corps seem to be run by these types.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gee, I wonder why when you stick your dick in a hepatitis loaded butthole and some dummy has it in his mouth next.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs

With billions of cells in the body, it only takes a few that differ from the "normal" bodily composition to cause differing preferences. I agree that homosexuality is generally biologically related. I don't think that a preference or choice is made; it's just the way God made them.
God calls homosexuality an abomination and condemns it as evil time after time in the Bible. You're saying that God created something evil. God gave us all a choice to do good or evil and they've chosen the evil.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The claim that homosexuality is an innate, biological difference was a political tactic that was knowingly promoted by the LGBT community in the '70s so that they could receive affirmation and minority recognition instead of counseling.

For a variety of reasons (none of which included my orientation) I had many homosexual friends during my college years. Every one that I got to know well enough had some identifiable cause that resulted in this psychological reaction, to the point that I could not concur with the idea that it was an innate biological condition. Nothing I have seen since then has changed my impression of that.

Personally, I don't particularly care how people pursue love or get their rocks off, but I am tired of homosexuality as a political cause - it is hollow. The frequent need of gays to rub the public's "face" in their choice of behaviors by parades, banners, lewd public behavior and so on is just another expression of the inner conflict they feel over this choice.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"God" as in the Bible, written and edited by human beings? noted.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Got to disagree... pretty convinced at least a few leftie trolls here are the result of said intercourse...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntz
Gee, I wonder why when you stick your dick in a hepatitis loaded butthole and some dummy has it in his mouth next.

For one, I do not stick mine in either...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One thing is for sure homosexual it does have a cure....it's called aids

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

And, not a word of it will fail to come to pass.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunReader
The claim that homosexuality is an innate, biological difference was a political tactic that was knowingly promoted by the LGBT community in the '70s so that they could receive affirmation and minority recognition instead of counseling.

Even change for the better causes pain. Nobody wants to do much self examination, especially of the sort needed for profound change.

The "biological" view is unmerciful, it condemns people to a life of disease and misery. The "biological" view also condemns children who are unsure about themselves. My view is merciful and allows for people to change for the better, to have hope for a life full of vitality and joy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Prove it. Nobody else has, and they have been trying like heck. This is your chance at fame! The left touts science as the impartial repository of facts and when none are available, they make them up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For a variety of reasons (none of which included my orientation) I had many homosexual friends during my college years. Every one that I got to know well enough had some identifiable cause that resulted in this psychological reaction, to the point that I could not concur with the idea that it was an innate biological condition. Nothing I have seen since then has changed my impression of that.

Personally, I don't particularly care how people pursue love or get their rocks off, but I am tired of homosexuality as a political cause - it is hollow. The frequent need of gays to rub the public's "face" in their choice of behaviors by parades, banners, lewd public behavior and so on is just another expression of the inner conflict they feel over this choice.

well said

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have to. When I say a man, skipping around a penchant for interior decorating and a feminine voice, it doesn't take a genius...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Please prove this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
God calls homosexuality an abomination...

lol

The Bible calls MANY things in everyday life "an abomination". Do you feel the same disdain for ALL of them too, or just this cherry-picked one...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have to. When I say a man, skipping around a penchant for interior decorating and a feminine voice, it doesn't take a genius...

jorge, you seem like a very good guy, but looks like you are on thin ice with this "hormonal" driver and "freak of nature" explanation unless you are willing to conjure a similar way to explain pedophiles, necrophiles, etc., etc. throughout the realm of aberrant sexual behavior. Some people do make strange choices with their lives.

As for those skipping around with a penchant for interior decoration, that can simply be another aspect of the human ability to put on an act - maybe an act of wishful thinking - and those with mental illness are best at such displays.

Those who try to find some "normal and natural" defense for homosexual behavior have been claiming the "hormonal" and "born that way" excuses for a long time, but their scientists have not come up with any solid data to those ends. Some people do make strange choices with their lives.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Homo issues are common in nearly every species. Years back a fellow researcher worked with sheep. A gay ram is not an issue if one has a 1000 animals. In a hobby flock with only a single ram, however, a breeding season could be a complete loss. Gay issues in sheep are at about a 5 to 10% rate.

The research project involved hopping up rams on every conceivable hormone possible in an attempt to kick them into gear using both blood and brain pump injections. Shipped in some really hot ewes from Nevada, and not a single ram came around. It's a wiring issue as opposed to hormones.

Hormones are often used in AI breeding programs to determine when cows are ready for breeding. In those instances a cow is hopped up with male hormones, and she will then exhibit male behavior humping anything that smells or postures correctly. When she singles out an individual, it's hustled into the chute and inseminated.

Have a nephew that's come out, and he's sat literally in tears telling his mom and grandmother that he'd do anything to be straight. He is a very unhappy kid.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/29/16.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CCCC

jorge, you seem like a very good guy, but looks like you are on thin ice with this "hormonal" driver and "freak of nature" explanation unless you are willing to conjure a similar way to explain pedophiles, necrophiles, etc., etc. throughout the realm of aberrant sexual behavior. Some people do make strange choices with their lives.

As for those skipping around with a penchant for interior decoration, that can simply be another aspect of the human ability to put on an act - maybe an act of wishful thinking - and those with mental illness are best at such displays.

Those who try to find some "normal and natural" defense for homosexual behavior have been claiming the "hormonal" and "born that way" excuses for a long time, but their scientists have not come up with any solid data to those ends. Some people do make strange choices with their lives.

Honestly...I am at the point where I do not think there is any 'normal' when it comes to innate human behaviour...I have come to the conclusion we are what we make ourselves, for good or bad.

I suspect the only over-riding common theme across humanity is the inborn need to control and dominate, some do it via hunting, some by entering politics, religion, sects, etc...others do it by channelling into family, career, and such.

Whatever you do is at the base level up to you and as such whinging about the choices made is pitifully arrogant and pointless.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't know about some of you fellows but I have known that I liked T&A for as far back as I can remember. It's not such a stretch to imagine someone else growing up knowing they liked the twig and berries.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
God calls homosexuality an abomination...

lol

The Bible calls MANY things in everyday life "an abomination". Do you feel the same disdain for ALL of them too, or just this cherry-picked one...?

All of them.

Except the one's Jesus excluded.

I'm hoping that includes shellfish and bacon.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used to have an older guy at work - this was in the early 1970's - who told me more than once that it was LESS stressful to be bi-sexual, as it made it twice as easy to get a date on Saturday nights!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Growing up I heard that Homosexualism was a disease and they could not help themselves, the last few years it is suddenly a choice. I tend to agree that the overwhelming majority are doing this by choice. Metrosexuals did not exist a decade ago and are suddenly prevalent, what brought that on?

I also think that being a man trapped in a womans body or vice versa is a genuine mental disease.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
i personally DON'T think homosexuality is a disease, it isn't something that is contracted.

i'm sure some people are wired to be attracted to the same gender, and i have no problems with that

I do however also think that because individuals can and WILL get extra attention for being LGBT, that some are "coming out" for the sole purpose of getting some nature of attention that they were not getting otherwise

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
... you are on thin ice with this "hormonal" driver and "freak of nature" explanation unless you are willing to conjure a similar way to explain pedophiles, necrophiles, etc., etc. throughout the realm of aberrant sexual behavior. Some people do make strange choices with their lives.

And, interestingly enough, all of those behaviors along with homosexual behavior, addictions, and other compulsive disorders are extremely difficult to change. To the point that some argue they are impossible to change.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
God says "it's wrong"

Darwin says "you can't survive"

take your pick

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 06/29/16.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sauer200

Please prove this.

Don't have to. It is written.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
we call 'em queer, because being homo, is not normal. smile

Sam......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if your main sex act involves rooting around in other peoples bee hinds with your mouth and genitals, then it don't take a genius to figure out why thats unhealthy. i really don't understand how people can not realize that this is abnormal, unnatural behavior and condone it and try to paint a rainbow over this disgusting behavior.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Please prove this.

Lots of meaningless BS is written.
That doesn't mean it's all true.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs

Nonsense!

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure are alot of guys defending homosexuality on this board.

Also, ridicule and make light of what the Bible teaches about it all you want, that doesn't change the fact. God didn't make them that way.

And no, I don't need to prove it.

Kelly
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wont defend homosexuality, hormones?, BS, if it were hormones then explain being Bi-sexual, sticking a dick where it dont belong, for [bleep] sake, its everywhere I look now, especially since orlando.
I feel bad for the victims of Orlando, but to me all homo's are victims.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya, I taught my kids its wrong and the school that was pushing this shyte on them was wrong too.
People can stick their dick wherever they want, just dont teach my kids its great.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by djs

After spending a few minutes with Leviticus, I am pretty sure that God had nothing to do with it.

And just like tipping a bottle, or shoving a needle in your arm, who you screw IS a matter of choice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
God says "it's wrong"

Darwin says "you can't survive"

take your pick

Left to it's own devices, homosexuality self corrects in one generation.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

well said

What was wrong with the days of Jim Neighbors and Rock Hudson?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KMS

Also, ridicule and make light of what the Bible teaches about it all you want, that doesn't change the fact. God didn't make them that way.

Hating an entire group of people because your book tells you to is chickensheet if you ask me. The muzzies do the same thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
After spending a few minutes with Leviticus, I am pretty sure that God had nothing to do with it.

lol

People hate other people and justify it with a Bible verse, people persecute other people and justify it with a Bible verse, people have enslaved other people and justify it with a Bible verse, people have bigotry towards other people and justify it with a Bible verse, and when somebody questions them about 'that' they can often come up with a Bible verse with which they've found a way to disregard and mistreat some of the very people for whom Jesus loves and died for...!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Hating an entire group of people because your book tells you to is chickensheet if you ask me. The muzzies do the same thing.

THIS...!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Folks who disagree hafta be made into haters.

How else can you give them the Saul Alinsky treatment?

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS

I didn't ask you. And show me where I said a hated them.

Last edited by KMS; 06/29/16.

Kelly
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Dennis nails it:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am not justifying anyhing. Just stating a confirmed opinion that God did not "make 'em that way".

Though I find it interesting how many religions are beginning to embrace the lgbt crowd. Cause, after all they can help fill the collection plate.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by KMS

You referenced what the Bible teaches about gays....the Bible gives instructions to stone them. That sounds like a pretty hateful action.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KMS

The dirty little secret is that many of them experimented with it as teenagers. That doesn't make them queer, but it sure does make constructive conversation difficult.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That and PETA would get involved.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The left leaves this professor alone, who calls transgender a mental disorder.

http://m.cnsnews.com/news/article/m...t-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/29/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am not justifying anyhing. Just stating a confirmed opinion that God did not "make 'em that way".

Though I find it interesting how many religions are beginning to embrace the lgbt crowd. Cause, after all they can help fill the collection plate.

Not so sure about that theory. I think over the last 40 years, they have gotten to be "accepted" or at least "tolerated". Churches usually teach compassion and acceptance and lgbt fits right in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I know is, I'll never understand it. And I won't try to. I can't fathom someone preferring a cock over a good lookin woman. So they must be so far removed from my mental framework, it's not worth the effort of trying to figure out why.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1minute,

Have a nephew that's come out, and he's sat literally in tears telling his mom and grandmother that he'd do anything to be straight. He is a very unhappy kid

Is he any different from a married guy who wants to have sex with other women?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
1minute,

Have a nephew that's come out, and he's sat literally in tears telling his mom and grandmother that he'd do anything to be straight. He is a very unhappy kid

I'd say yes. Based on the incontrovertible fact that he, unlike your hypothetical married guy, does not want to have sex with women.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Not so sure about that theory. I think over the last 40 years, they have gotten to be "accepted" or at least "tolerated". Churches usually teach compassion and acceptance and lgbt fits right in.

Since the time of the Levites, several thousand years ago, it has been common knowledge that God equates homosexuality, with bestiality, and incest. The practitioners of these sins were to be put to death.

These words were recorded as those of the omnicient, eternal God.

Now, in the last seventy five years, Christians have determined that God did not really mean it when he spoke on homosexuality, but that other stuff......yeah that is still a sin!

That sounds much more like a political position to me than a theological position.

Thus my concerted belief that God don't make queers. That is a result of free choice.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So does this study explain Rob Jordan?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the time of the Levites, several thousand years ago, it has been common knowledge that God equates homosexuality, with bestiality, and incest. The practitioners of these sins were to be put to death.

Adulterers, and stubborn and rebellious sons were also to be stoned to death. These are also the words of "the omniscient, eternal God" from the Bible. Are you good with stoning to death people who cheat on their spouses, along with stubborn and rebellious sons...? After all, the words of "the omniscient, eternal God" from the Bible also say that God equates cheating spouses, and stubborn and rebellious sons, with beastiality, incest, and homosexuality...as all are capital offenses and punishable by death.

Holding one sin up higher than all the rest doesn't make it worse than ANY of the others. Some folks can find a Biblical justification for just about any prejudicial behavior or evil agenda that they support. They've taken theology and they've twisted it to empower themselves to do the very opposite of what God commanded them to do...His 'greatest' commandment...*the* thing that communicates more than ANYTHING ELSE that you're one of His followers.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am confused. Are you saying that God changed his mind and now condones sodomy?

On the other hand, I never said that I felt homo sexuals should be punished in any way. I said nothing one way or the other about their behavior.

I only pointed out that it is a bit rediculous to blame their sexual orientation on "God".

If one chooses to partake of any of the many manifestations of the lbgt lifestyle, so be it.

Just don't be a Democrat about it. Accept responsibility for your actions and your choices. Don't blame God for the choices you have made in your life.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
1minute,

RM,

See my Dennis Miller video above.

Yes, he is very different.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Please prove this.

Don't make it true.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Another jocular ' fire thread. Many with dreams of watching women sucking anothers goods... Yet, wait, .... TFF.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am confused. Are you saying that God changed his mind and now condones sodomy?

Did He change His mind and now condone adultery...? Did He change His mind and now condone stubborn and rebellious sons...? It's important to remember that the Old Testament or Old Covenant/Mosaic Law was for God’s relationship with the Nation of Israel, and they lived in a theocracy. The Old Testament Law is NOT in force today (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). The New Testament is for God's relationship with EVERYONE who chooses to participate in that relationship...and it is summed up by God's 'greatest' commandment...by *the* thing that communicates more than anything else that you're His follower. Not by your theology, not by how you interpret certain Bible verses, and not by the disdain that you have for others or what they do.
I only pointed out that it is a bit rediculous to blame their sexual orientation on "God".

Do people who are born with birth defects blame being born that way on God...? People who are born with Down Syndrome or Spina Bifida don't blame being born that way on God...that's just the way they were born. And 'saying' that they were born that way is clearly NOT blaming God for them being born the way that they were. Some unfortunate people are born with congenital anomalies while many more are not, and we don't really clearly know why...we just know that it happens.
It's easier to show and feel prejudice against them (gays) if you can convince yourself that they 'chose' to be that way.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by KMS

You referenced what the Bible teaches about gays....the Bible gives instructions to stone them. That sounds like a pretty hateful action.

So your disagreement isn't with me, but with God. A few others here to.

Kelly
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've known, more than in passing, 2 gay guys. Both have been to treatment for eating disorders, have had pill addictions and are emotional roller coasters.

In short, they are chicks with dicks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Did He change His mind and now condone adultery...? Did He change His mind and now condone stubborn and rebellious sons...?

Interesting you should point those out because they are still serious sins and I think they are recognized as such.

One explanation for the wide support for homosexual rights is the predominance of sexual sins in general - adultery, fornication, infanticide, etc. The guilt of those involved forces them to feel like they must legitimize anything.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by KMS

So your disagreement isn't with me, but with God. A few others here to.

There's no evidence your god exists, so my disagreement is not with him, but with those who choose to believe in the fables of bronze age goat herders, and attempt to use them as the model for their behavior and relationships.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You keep bringing up the stoning business.

Pretty sure I was asked to move past being that type of instrument when Someone else bore the brunt on a cross. Bible says that too.

It appears that your disagreement is with those who choose to believe in the fables of bronze age goat herders, and attempt to use them as the model for their behavior and relationships, whether they are minding their own business or not?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wondering here:
Why is society willing to call homosexuality normal, and a happenstance of birth/genetics, or whatever, and it should be accepted and no effort should be made to change it to restore it to the norm.

And we also say that birth defects such as a cleft palate is a happenstance of birth/genetics, or whatever, and it should be surgically changed to restore it to the norm.

Yes, surgical alteration is done in transgenders, but I'm talking about homosexuals. And besides, transgenders are biologically and genetically still binary -- they are genetically either male or female, despite the claims. And that can't be changed.

In other words, if physical birth defects are recognized and addressed, why are so many people unwilling to accept psychological birth defects? The result is that we take heroic steps to correct physical birth defects, but psychological birth defects are tolerated and encouraged.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
IMO, perverts be perverts. Whether gay or straight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
All I know is, I'll never understand it. And I won't try to. I can't fathom someone preferring a cock over a good lookin woman.

EXACTLY! so if you do it, there HAS to be something other than CHOICE, for if you were normal and obviously you are, you'd find it repugnant and if you don't, there's something wrong with you. We don't think of eating sheit so if you do, there HAS to be something wrong with you. Do some choose it, no doubt, but just like we have psychopaths,we have queers, it's a freak of nature.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Met a tranny some years back at a work-related situation. He/she at one point asked me directly to answer just one question... this is a 6'2" individual with a big Adam's apple...

"What if you were born with both and your parents made to wrong choice?"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And both is not as uncommon as I had thought it would be.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

EXACTLY! so if you do it, there HAS to be something other than CHOICE, for if you were normal and obviously you are, you'd find it repugnant and if you don't, there's something wrong with you. We don't think of eating sheit so if you do, there HAS to be something wrong with you. Do some choose it, no doubt, but just like we have psychopaths,we have queers, it's a freak of nature.

Then why do I know so many people who have chosen to go that route late in life? It's not that they were "repressed". Some have told me they wanted to live the "lifestyle" without the sex. Although they seem to have eventually given in to that too.

Porn viewership has been shown to correlate positively with approval of all sexual deviances.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BarryC

Then why do I know so many people who have chosen to go that route late in life? It's not that they were "repressed". Some have told me they wanted to live the "lifestyle" without the sex. Although they seem to have eventually given in to that too.

Porn viewership has been shown to correlate positively with approval of all sexual deviances.

That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KMS

Dats 'cause you can't prove it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Homo issues are common in nearly every species. Years back a fellow researcher worked with sheep. A gay ram is not an issue if one has a 1000 animals. In a hobby flock with only a single ram, however, a breeding season could be a complete loss. Gay issues in sheep are at about a 5 to 10% rate.

The research project involved hopping up rams on every conceivable hormone possible in an attempt to kick them into gear using both blood and brain pump injections. Shipped in some really hot ewes from Nevada, and not a single ram came around. It's a wiring issue as opposed to hormones.

Hormones are often used in AI breeding programs to determine when cows are ready for breeding. In those instances a cow is hopped up with male hormones, and she will then exhibit male behavior humping anything that smells or postures correctly. When she singles out an individual, it's hustled into the chute and inseminated.

Have a nephew that's come out, and he's sat literally in tears telling his mom and grandmother that he'd do anything to be straight. He is a very unhappy kid.

Good info, but being "non-interested" in breeding or in chasing the opposite sex does NOT equate with homosexuality - the deliberate act of sexual intercourse with the same sex.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yep. You should have seen my jaw drop the first time I heard that! Lady with 3 kids, married for 20 years as she was about to run off with her lesbo BFF.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yep. You should have seen my jaw drop the first time I heard that! Lady with 3 kids, married for 20 years as she was about to run off with her lesbo BFF.

Sheesh. I don't see the point in willingly living with someone and not having sex.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
All I know is, I'll never understand it. And I won't try to. I can't fathom someone preferring a cock over a good lookin woman.

David Bowie is one of the most public examples of someone who did just that.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Wondering here:
Why is society willing to call homosexuality normal, and a happenstance of birth/genetics, or whatever, and it should be accepted and no effort should be made to change it to restore it to the norm.

And we also say that birth defects such as a cleft palate is a happenstance of birth/genetics, or whatever, and it should be surgically changed to restore it to the norm.

Yes, surgical alteration is done in transgenders, but I'm talking about homosexuals. And besides, transgenders are biologically and genetically still binary -- they are genetically either male or female, despite the claims. And that can't be changed.

In other words, if physical birth defects are recognized and addressed, why are so many people unwilling to accept psychological birth defects? The result is that we take heroic steps to correct physical birth defects, but psychological birth defects are tolerated and encouraged.

Steve.

Come on, that'd not an argument even worth addressing. I'm sure you know better than this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Wondering here:

Steve.

Come on, that'd not an argument even worth addressing. I'm sure you know better than this.

xxclaro, he didn't present an "argument", he asked an interesting question. I'm curious - in your mind why is his question not worth addressing? A lot of money is spent trying to deal with psychological defects, including some congenital. I could be wrong, but this looks like you are trying to put him down and dodging a seemingly cogent question. What is your explanation?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did He change His mind and now condone adultery...? Did He change His mind and now condone stubborn and rebellious sons...?

Interesting you should point those out because they are still serious sins and I think they are recognized as such.
One explanation for the wide support for homosexual rights is the predominance of sexual sins in general - adultery, fornication, etc. The guilt of those involved forces them to feel like they must legitimize anything.

As many as 65 percent of men and 55 percent of women will have an extramarital affair by the time they are 40, according to the Journal of Psychology and Christianity. A Christianity Today survey found that 23 percent of the 300 pastors who responded admitted to sexually inappropriate behavior with someone other than their wives while in the ministry. But hardly any of the people who loudly condemn homosexuality for 'Biblical' reasons seem to have any problem with adultery...which is just as bad of a sexual sin as homosexuality is according to the Bible that they thump so vigorously. And adultery is MUCH more prevalent than homosexuality is. These folks that claim to be against homosexuality for 'Biblical' reasons sure as heck don't voice their opposition to adultery in a comparative manner. Not even close.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Antlers, you make some good points there. I am not smart enough to know if they are equally bad behavior, but one aspect in your post is that adultery and homosexual acts are linked as matters of choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate the kind words. The two 'Biblical' sins mentioned above are 'linked' in that they were BOTH punishable by death in the Mosaic Law, and they are BOTH referred to as sexual sins in some of the writings of the New Testament. Some people choose to believe that homosexuality is a 'chosen' behavior, while others believe that it is a congenital anomaly.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I appreciate the kind words. The two 'Biblical' sins mentioned above are 'linked' in that they were BOTH punishable by death in the Mosaic Law, and they are BOTH referred to as sexual sins in some of the writings of the New Testament. Some people choose to believe that homosexuality is a 'chosen' behavior, while others believe that it is a congenital anomaly.

Why do we presume it's an either/or situation?

How and to what extent does the biological affect the psychological?

At what point do the affects of the biological on the psychological made it no longer a "choice"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

An "anomaly" through birth is one thing, and it very well may apply to the proclivities of a person. Regardless of laws or stated values, all persons have freedom to choose what they actually will DO sexually. When, where, with whom, etc.

So - like adultery, the choice to commit a homosexual act with another person is exactly that - a decision, a choice - and the outcomes are the responsibility of the one deciding to commit the act. Your post shows that both behaviors are inextricably linked in that manner.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Wondering here:

Steve.

xxclaro, he didn't present an "argument", he asked an interesting question. I'm curious - in your mind why is his question not worth addressing? A lot of money is spent trying to deal with psychological defects, including some congenital. I could be wrong, but this looks like you are trying to put him down and dodging a seemingly cogent question. What is your explanation?

Ok. Physical birth defects such as cleft palate are obvious at birth and will cause problems for the person as they grow older. Easiest just to fix them right away. You can't tell if a baby is gay. If a person wants to take action to stop being gay, that's fine and I don't think anyone will stop them but are you going to try to force gays to undergo some sort of straightening therapy against their will? We do recognize psychological defects in people, and if they pose a threat to others we do try to fix them. You can be as messed up as you want as long as your not a threat to someone else though. It was just a ridiculous comparison,imo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of how people (especially those who profess to be Jesus followers) feel about this issue, the fact is that God could not love us more. Nothing we could ever do will cause Him to love us less. And the corollary is this...every person that you're ever eyeball to eyeball with, God could not love them more, and there's nothing they could ever do to cause God to love them less either.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Regardless of how people (especially those who profess to be Jesus followers) feel about this issue, the fact is that God could not love us more. Nothing we could ever do will cause Him to love us less. And the corollary is this...every person that you're ever eyeball to eyeball with, God could not love them more, and there's nothing they could ever do to cause God to love them less either.

So that whole Hell thing....God doesn't really love the people he sends there less?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you open the New Testament and ask the question, "What does it look like to be a follower of Jesus...?", it's crystal clear. If you don't 'get' anything else, here's the thing that should describe you, here's the thing that should characterize you 'more than anything else', here's what He said to His closest followers before he left the earth - "By *this* everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

It's not the gold cross hangin' on your neck, it's not goin' to church on Sunday morning, it's not your church bumper sticker, it's not what kind of family you were born into or raised in, it's not that you were baptized, it's not your self-professed 'Christianity', it's not the disdain that you have for certain people, and it's certainly not policing other people's behavior.

When people used the words of God to hurt people bearing the image of God, Jesus was quick to remind them that they were on the wrong side of God. Everybody is somebody that God loves. Everybody is somebody for whom Jesus died.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 1minute

Good info, but being "non-interested" in breeding or in chasing the opposite sex does NOT equate with homosexuality - the deliberate act of sexual intercourse with the same sex.

And that is my point exactly. While one might not be able to choose his/her proclivities. Whether those proclivities are genetic or ingrained being irrelevant to this discussion.

The individual can certainly choose what he/she does about those proclivities.

Sodomy, just like pedophelia, necrophilia, beastiality, adultry, achoholism, and drug use IS a personal choice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Antlers, Antelope Sniper, etc. - good with the Biblical concept that God loves us all as humans and that, as humans, we cannot determine any differences in His degree of love for one person or another - regardless of what we might think about a person's individual behavior. But, that is not the only universal concept involved.

In addition to important instructions, God also gives us free will - to choose our beliefs and behaviors. Such decisions determine our relationship with Him (among other things). AS, that is where the "Hell thing" comes into play.

An example - not on nearly the same level, but helpful to some - is the mother who dearly loves her son - a murderous son - and who continues to love him even when he is sentenced to imprisonment or death and she agrees that the sentence is just. Her love does not end.

I think we are going to again be shown that some absolutes do reign, and that our decisions are very consequential.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What are genetic twins, Fraternal or identical and the same can be said if one develops diabetis and the other doesn't, and I don't doubt the "Choice" can be driven by other factors, but no doubt in my mind (or the medical community) the issue of homos is a freak of nature.
If that is true, they are keeping their findings (but not their unsupported opinion) secret, for some reason. I worked with a lot of gay men, and some were very good friends. Virtually all of them were victims of predation by older gays in positions of authority. In fact, when a new guy came on board, you could actually see the gays working to cull him from the (straight) herd and indictrinate/coerce him. If it worked, he would spend some time in flux and eventually fully accept the life. Like other predators, they looked for weakness of some sort, a vulnerability, and capitalized on the opportunity. There will always be anomalies, but for the most part, my opinion is that gays are made, not born. This is a result of many years of observation, having worked in a gay heavy occupation, and having been "courted" myself. They are predators.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can’t 'force' someone to become physically and emotionally attracted to someone who they are not attracted to, whether gay or straight.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You can’t 'force' someone to become physically and emotionally attracted to someone who they are not attracted to, whether gay or straight.

Explain David Bowie. Explain the behavior of prisoners & sailors of old.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If your position is that gays can be made, then you are also saying that you yourself could be convinced to enjoy the D.

Very telling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
If that is true, they are keeping their findings (but not their unsupported opinion) secret, for some reason. I worked with a lot of gay men, and some were very good friends. Virtually all of them were victims of predation by older gays in positions of authority. In fact, when a new guy came on board, you could actually see the gays working to cull him from the (straight) herd and indictrinate/coerce him. If it worked, he would spend some time in flux and eventually fully accept the life. Like other predators, they looked for weakness of some sort, a vulnerability, and capitalized on the opportunity. There will always be anomalies, but for the most part, my opinion is that gays are made, not born. This is a result of many years of observation, having worked in a gay heavy occupation, and having been "courted" myself. They are predators.

jorge, I simply don't see any coherent "mind" of the "medical community" speaking on most things, and certainly not on that "freak of nature" concept.

benchman's observations and descriptions are very accurate with regard to the predation that occurs in many work/organizational situations. Probably not as intensively, but I have witnessed that same isolating and predatory behavior over the course of a career. Insidious and intensified social pressure can be overwhelming for some, and especially for the less secure and less loved.

justin10mm, maybe try grasping the idea that people who may be seduced or coerced into a behavior do not necessarily find it enjoyable, as you pose "enjoy".

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

It happens all over the world through out history with arranged marriages and the slave trade.

50% of adolescent males across the world will shove it into any hole available. (Come on folks, read the Kinsey report)

Add to that number to include victims of molestation/coercion and those boys trained from birth to be Momma's little girl or a sensitive grammer school boy with hurt feelers cause he was rejected by his second grade female crush.

Oh yes, folks, homosexuals can defenitely be created.

Some boys learn that it is easier to just slip into the gay community than it is to learn how to attract a female mate.

I know several women who grew up, fell in love with the wrong man, got married to that man, had kids and became abused. After divorce, they found a sensitive female partner, or in one case a butch female divorcee with kids.

Okay, when did they become lesbian? From birth? I don't buy it!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Oh, and what is the current pandemic display of homosexuality throughout the video entertainment industry, if not a (very successful) multi-continental recruitment program?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
If your position is that gays can be made, then you are also saying that you yourself could be convinced to enjoy the D.

Very telling.

I am saying that given different parenting, different circumstances, a different upbringing, different societal cues, any of us could have been taught to do anything.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I. Where the heck do you think suicide bombers come from!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Explain the lonely goat herder.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I worked with a lot of gay men, and some were very good friends. Virtually all of them were victims of predation by older gays in positions of authority. In fact, when a new guy came on board, you could actually see the gays working to cull him from the (straight) herd and indictrinate/coerce him.

Were you a priest or in prison? laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Christ man, this is a thread about poofs, not muslims.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Very telling.

I am saying that given different parenting, different circumstances, a different upbringing, different societal cues, any of us could have been taught to do anything.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I. Where the heck do you think suicide bombers come from!

Nurture has some affect for sure, but Nature always wins out in the end.

You're going to be sorely disappointed if you try to raise a pitbull to be a good bird dog.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Christ man, this is a thread about poofs, not muslims.

Well the motivation is probably the same!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You're going to be sorely disappointed if you try to raise a pitbull to be a good bird dog.

Then kindly explain all the prisoners that 'aren't really' gay when in gaol.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Very telling.

Not a good analogy.

If it were, homosexuals would be extinct as they fail to breed and would self extinguish.

Instead, due to cultural influences, their percentages are skyrocketing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It happens all over the world through out history with arranged marriages and the slave trade.

Forcing someone into a sex act is NOT the same thing as forcing someone to be physically and emotionally attracted to someone that they are NOT attracted to.

Really...? So YOU could be 'forced' to be gay...? So YOU could be 'forced' to be physically and emotionally attracted to other men...?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Forcing someone into a sex act is NOT the same thing as forcing someone to be physically and emotionally attracted to someone that they are NOT attracted to.

Really...? So YOU could be 'forced' to be gay...? So YOU could be 'forced' to be physically and emotionally attracted to other men...?

At this point in my life?

No, no more than I could be forced to abuse little girls, or boys.
No more than I could be forced to strap on a suicide vest and walk into a mall.
No more than I could be forced to bow to Mecca several times a day.

But had I been handed off to Muslims at birth, I would be a Muslim.
Had I been taught to steal as a child, I would be a thief.
Had I been handed everything needed for life as a child and not taught to work, I'd be a Democrat.

Well, you see where I am going with this.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

At this point in my life?

No, no more than I could be forced to abuse little girls, or boys.
No more than I could be forced to strap on a suicide vest and walk into a mall.
No more than I could be forced to bow to Mecca several times a day.

But had I been handed off to Muslims at birth, I would be a Muslim.
Had I been taught to steal as a child, I would be a thief.
Had I been handed everything needed for life as a child and not taught to work, I'd be a Democrat.

Yes, you take absolutely no responsibility for yourself.

You were born a pliable piece of putty that was molded to suit your surroundings. If those surroundings had included raping little boys...well... that would not have been your fault.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, you're sayin' that since someone can be taught to speak Spanish, that they can also be taught to be physically and emotionally attracted to someone of the same sex.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

If it were, homosexuals would be extinct as they fail to breed and would self extinguish.

Only if the putative phagot gene(s) is/are 100% penetrate (pun and genetic term intended).

Anyone with a 'C' average in public school biology class would have learned that genetics is not so simple and straight forward. Especially as to how it relates to behavior.

Ruling out the putative genetic components for phagotry takes more that the Extinction argument.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
justin10mm - your sniping is not adding to the discussion and your recent posts on this topic show twisting of terms and some very weak (if any) logic. Do you have any solid experience with this matter or serious thoughts to provide? The topic now is the genesis of homosexual behavior - not one saying he is "gay", not someone somewhere being forced into aberrant sexual acts, etc.

And, where in Idaho Shooter's posts do you see him NOT taking responsibility for his words and positions?

Antlers - looks like you are doing some of the same twisting. The guy did not say that since a person can be taught Spanish the person also can be taught that he should engage homosexual behavior. That is your construct. He cited influences and factors that can affect some persons in that direction - maybe weak or needy persons.

My personal views on how and why a person becomes homosexual seems not important to all of this, but there is learning to be had here and I'd like to see good mind work. Why not offer something solid?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I worked with a lot of gay men, and some were very good friends. Virtually all of them were victims of predation by older gays in positions of authority. In fact, when a new guy came on board, you could actually see the gays working to cull him from the (straight) herd and indictrinate/coerce him.

Professional singer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Antlers - looks like you are doing some of the same twisting. The guy did not say that since a person can be taught Spanish the person also can be taught that he should engage homosexual behavior. That is your construct. He cited influences and factors that can affect some persons in that direction - maybe weak or needy persons.

The gentleman made it pretty clear that he thought a person could be 'taught' to be physically and emotionally attracted to someone that they are NOT attracted to. And he made it pretty clear that he thought a person could be 'forced' to be physically and emotionally attracted to someone that they are NOT attracted to.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
justin10mm - your sniping is not adding to the discussion and your recent posts on this topic show twisting of terms and some very weak (if any) logic. Do you have any solid experience with this matter or serious thoughts to provide? The topic now is the genesis of homosexual behavior - not one saying he is "gay", not someone somewhere being forced into aberrant sexual acts, etc.

And, where in Idaho Shooter's posts do you see him NOT taking responsibility for his words and positions?

My personal views on how and why a person becomes homosexual seems not important to all of this, but there is learning to be had here and I'd like to see good mind work. Why not offer something solid?

That's some funny stuff right there. You might want to think about taking a reading comprehension course.

If you want something solid, read the Kensey Reports, though you may not like what they have to say. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_Reports

The issue is not as black and white as someone is either "born gay" or "born strait".

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
No, that is not quite what I said.

I said, "God did not make 'em that way.'

And I said, "Most of them are that way because of societal and rearing influences."

And I said, "Behaving in the manners of a homosexual is a personal choice."

Many of those influences may be very difficult fo determine, as 90% of who we are and what we will become has been ingrained into the child by the time he/she is three years old.

While most refuse to recognise that a three year old may be sexualized to any extent. The foundation has been built. The personality is established. All that is left is fine tuning.

The rest of the structure is dependent upon the stability of that foundation.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by carbon12

Only if the putative phagot gene(s) is/are 100% penetrate (pun and genetic term intended).

Anyone with a 'C' average in public school biology class would have learned that genetics is not so simple and straight forward. Especially as to how it relates to behavior.

Ruling out the putative genetic components for phagotry takes more that the Extinction argument.

The human genome has been thoroughly mapped for about ten years. The genes are pretty well identified.

Embryonic genetic testing will pretty well identify all the physical traits 8 1/2 months before birth.

I have not heard of anyone predicting sexual orientation based on genetics.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Professional singer.

I don't believe you. Sing us something! grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

And I said, "Most of them are that way because of societal and rearing influences."

And I said, "Behaving in the manners of a homosexual is a personal choice."

Total abstinence is also a personal choice, but it dose not erase the underlying sexual desire that is being suppressed.

You can "choose" to live a heterosexual life, but if you have attraction to the same sex, then you are gay/bi. The reverse is also true.

The thought that most gays participate in the life style because of societal influences is laughable. They may have it easy on the coasts, but just about everywhere else it can be a hard life for open homosexuals. This forum is proof enough that many still despise their very existence.

I would wager that there are orders of magnitude more "strait" people living that way because society has historically deemed heterosexuality the only acceptable life style. We are just now seeing the tides start to change when it comes to this.

Last edited by justin10mm; 07/01/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho _Shooter
The human genome has been thoroughly mapped for about ten years.

Even though it's been mapped out, the work of learning and understanding all of it is still in it's infancy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

The human genome has been thoroughly mapped for about ten years. The genes are pretty well identified.

Embryonic genetic testing will pretty well identify all the physical traits 8 1/2 months before birth.

I have not heard of anyone predicting sexual orientation based on genetics.

If molecular genetics knew as much as you think it knows, a bunch of wicked bad diseases would be fixed already.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
George Gilder summarized the evidence the best when he said "Anyone can become a homosexual. No one has to be one." The best article ever written on the causation of homosexuality (IMHO) is a chapter in the book "When Wish Replaces Thought: Why So Much of What You Believe is False" by sociologist Steven Goldberg. A bit dated, but an still an excellent read. The science on causation hasn't changed much over the years.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's some funny stuff right there. You might want to think about taking a reading comprehension course.
If you want something solid, read the Kensey Reports, though you may not like what they have to say. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_Reports
The issue is not as black and white as someone is either "born gay" or "born strait".
justin10mm, that is NOT funny stuff even though you would like to make fun of it. Those comments are based directly on what you and one other person did with your posts. So far you offer nothing in the way of expertise or experience here, and then you resort to recommending a very well known (old) report and you can't even correctly spell the name. Do you think you are breaking any new ground with your "neither black or white" comment? Looks like faking.
benchman offers real-life experience/knowledge from working a profession that is shot-through with the issue. I once worked quite a bit in the same area - his insight rings very true. From whence comes this "knowledge" you profess?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As interesting as these discussions are, to some folks anyway, a lot of the time we consistently look for evidence to support what we already believe, and we consistently filter out anything to the contrary.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As interesting as these discussions are, to some folks anyway, a lot of the time we consistently look for evidence to support what we already believe, and we consistently filter out anything to the contrary.

"If you cain't fix it, it ain't broke." G. Keillor

Apropos on multiple levels.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No surprise whatsoever they have more health problems. And for the record, it is a CHOICE! They are NOT born that way.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
No surprise whatsoever they have more health problems. And for the record, it is a CHOICE! They are NOT born that way.

Your proof to backup this statement is....?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree, and anyone who thinks its ok to have sex with another man is brainwashed, think about it....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Twin studies involving identical male twins, raised in different homes and with no knowledge of, or interaction with the other twin brother do not have a 100% concordance rate in homosexuality. In other words, if one twin is homosexual, the occurrence of homosexuality in the other twin is considerably less than 100%. If sexual preference is "genetically determined" (as the color of your eyes is genetically determined), then we would expect a 100% concordance rate in homosexuality among identical twin boys (identical meaning boys having exactly the same genotype) where one of the boys (brothers) is a homosexual. The fact the concordance rate is less than 100% as between identical twin brothers means that although genes might be a necessary condition to the emergence of homosexuality in males, they (genes) are not a sufficient condition. It is therefore not the genes that are determinative, but the environment. As Jeffrey Goldberg has put it (paraphrasing from memory) but for the necessary facilitating environmental conditions, homosexuality will not occur regardless of genetic propensity.

BTW, female homosexuality is an entirely separate and distinct phenomena from male homosexuality in terms of causation.

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Twin studies involving identical male twins, raised in different homes and with no knowledge of, or interaction with the other twin brother do not have a 100% concordance rate in homosexuality. In other words, if one twin is homosexual, the occurrence of homosexuality in the other twin is considerably less than 100%. If sexual preference is "genetically determined" (as the color of your eyes is genetically determined), then we would expect a 100% concordance rate in homosexuality among identical twin boys (identical meaning boys having exactly the same genotype) where one of the boys (brothers) is a homosexual. The fact the concordance rate is less than 100% as between identical twin brothers means that although genes might be a necessary condition to the emergence of homosexuality in males, they (genes) are not a sufficient condition. It is therefore not the genes that are determinative, but the environment. As Jeffrey Goldberg has put it (paraphrasing from memory) but for the necessary facilitating environmental conditions, homosexuality will not occur regardless of genetic propensity.

BTW, female homosexuality is an entirely separate and distinct phenomena from male homosexuality in terms of causation.

Jordan

It's no surprise that it's the extreme religious nut who take the extreme all-or-none position.

Twin studies actually do demonstrate a genetic component to sexual preference. Although genetics is not 100% deterministic, the largest twin study, which included all adult twins in Sweden showed genetic influences explained 40% of the variance in sexual orientation in men. You assertion there's not biological component to sexual orientation is a result of your great delusion related to a guy reading from gold plates and declaring American Indians the Lost Tribe of Israel. crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lotta guys on here way too invested in where other guys are stuffing their cocks.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Jordan

It's no surprise that it's the extreme religious nut who take the extreme all-or-none position.

Twin studies actually do demonstrate a genetic component to sexual preference. Although genetics is not 100% deterministic, the largest twin study, which included all adult twins in Sweden showed genetic influences explained 40% of the variance in sexual orientation in men. You assertion there's not biological component to sexual orientation is a result of your great delusion related to a guy reading from gold plates and declaring American Indians the Lost Tribe of Israel. crazy

You just never miss an opportunity for a cheap shot at religion or its adherents, do you AS? Unfortunately, your overweening arrogance and anti-religious bigotry make you the fool yet again. shocked Let me simplify this for you (in case you are intellectually challenged too and not just arguing in bad faith wink ): The results of twin studies are empirical. Empirical evidence is not affected one iota by the identity, or traits of the person citing such evidence. The fact that the concordance rates of identical twin boys (when one boy is a homosexual and the other not) is significantly less than 100% is an empirical fact whether the person citing that fact is a non-practicing Mormon, a Satanist or an arrogant, overweening, logic-challenged atheist. blush But you knew that, didn't you? You're just incapable of arguing the issue on the merits. I accept the concession of impotence you've made by choosing to employ ad hominem invective instead of logic. grin wink

This is the salient point: the fact that the concordance rates of genetically identical twin boys, where one is a homosexual, is less than 100%, means that homosexuality is not genetically determined if, by determined, we mean caused in the same sense that the color of your eyes are caused. In other words, in the case of two boys with identical genotypes, where one becomes a homosexual and the other does not, genetic influence on the first boy cannot logically be said to have determined his homosexuality in the same sense that genes determined the color of his eyes because it didn't determine the second twin to homosexuality. Note that this is not the same as saying genes have no on influence on someone becoming a homosexual. No one disputes the fact of genetic influence and I certainly did not deny it in my post--either explicitly or implicitly. The thrust of the debate in this thread has been whether homosexuals have a choice in their behavior. If genes were determinative of homosexuality in the same way genes are determinative of eye color, then, of necessity, the genetic determinism theory would require that both identical twins
(having the exact same genotype) be homosexual 100% of the time. The twin studies prove there is not 100% concordance, therefore disproving the theory of genetic determinism. The fact that twin identical brothers of homosexuals are not themselves homosexual 100% of the time means that the trait of homosexuality is not genetically determined (caused) and thus that choice, free will and environment are not relevant determinative factors.

Does this mean that resisting homosexuality might not be extremely difficult in consequence of genetic make up? Of course not. crazy And nothing I said implies the contrary. What twin studies mean however, is that because homosexuality is not genetically determined (caused in the same way eye color is caused) genes may be a necessary condition, but they are not a sufficient condition to explain homosexuality. Environment, the free will of the individual and the influence and interplay of environment on the individual is therefore determinative. As Jeffrey Goldberg has put it: regardless of genetics, absent the necessary facilitating environmental conditions, no one must become a homosexual.

Twin studies undercut the narrative of the homosexual rights movement (which the United States Supreme Court has embraced virtually as a matter of law, even though that narrative is empirically false) that homosexuality is determined by genes---and is thus an outcome beyond the control of the homosexual. Twin studies prove that environment interacting with the individual is dispositive and therefore that free will (the metaphysical freedom of the mind) remains relevant.

In short, you've erected and attacked a straw man. blush crazy laugh

What I find most humorous though is a materialist such as yourself (someone who of necessity thinks free will is entirely illusory) arguing his case on the basis of concordance studies. Because if your default position is that the metaphysical freedom of the mind is illusory (because all freedom of action is determined by factors outside the control of any such thing as a "free agent")then what is the point of relying on a concordance study at all? The very fact of reliance upon concordance evidence in the case of genetically identical twins implies the belief that a behavior might not be genetically determined! I've thought for a very long time that you're not quite the thorough-going atheist you claim to be and your response above proves it (either that or you haven't thought through your atheism very thoroughly).

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 07/01/16.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, and one other point....you're apparently not much of an evolutionist either because at present, there is no satisfactory evolutionary explanation for homosexuality on a theory of genetic determinism. Leading evolutionists and geneticists have been very clear that homosexuality cannot be explained on the basis of our current understanding of evolution and genetics. This means one of three things (1) neo-Darwinian macro-evolution is false; (2) homosexuality is not genetically determined or (3) there is a satisfactory evolutionary explanation for the survival of a gene which results in an organism (viz., a homosexual) leaving less offspring than its conspecifics, but we just haven't discovered it yet. blush laugh No doubt your faith is up to the challenge though! laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by RobJordan; 07/01/16.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You just never miss an opportunity for a cheap shot at religion or its adherents, do you AS? Unfortunately, your overweening arrogance and anti-religious bigotry make you the fool yet again. shocked Let me simplify this for you (in case you are intellectually challenged too and not just arguing in bad faith wink ): The results of twin studies are empirical. Empirical evidence is not affected one iota by the identity, or traits of the person citing such evidence. The fact that the concordance rates of identical twin boys (when one boy is a homosexual and the other not) is significantly less than 100% is an empirical fact whether the person citing that fact is a non-practicing Mormon, a Satanist or an arrogant, overweening, logic-challenged atheist. blush But you knew that, didn't you? You're just incapable of arguing the issue on the merits. I accept the concession of impotence you've made by choosing to employ ad hominem invective instead of logic. grin wink

This is the salient point: the fact that the concordance rates of genetically identical twin boys, where one is a homosexual, is less than 100%, means that homosexuality is not genetically determined if, by determined, we mean caused in the same sense that the color of your eyes are caused. In other words, in the case of two boys with identical genotypes, where one becomes a homosexual and the other does not, genetic influence on the first boy cannot logically be said to have determined his homosexuality in the same sense that genes determined the color of his eyes because it didn't determine the second twin to homosexuality. Note that this is not the same as saying genes have no on influence on someone becoming a homosexual. No one disputes the fact of genetic influence and I certainly did not deny it in my post--either explicitly or implicitly. The thrust of the debate in this thread has been whether homosexuals have a choice in their behavior. If genes were determinative of homosexuality in the same way genes are determinative of eye color, then, of necessity, the genetic determinism theory would require that both identical twins
(having the exact same genotype) be homosexual 100% of the time. The twin studies prove there is not 100% concordance, therefore disproving the theory of genetic determinism. The fact that twin identical brothers of homosexuals are not themselves homosexual 100% of the time means that the trait of homosexuality is not genetically determined (caused) and thus that choice, free will and environment are not relevant determinative factors.

Does this mean that resisting homosexuality might not be extremely difficult in consequence of genetic make up? Of course not. crazy And nothing I said implies the contrary. What twin studies mean however, is that because homosexuality is not genetically determined (caused in the same way eye color is caused) genes may be a necessary condition, but they are not a sufficient condition to explain homosexuality. Environment, the free will of the individual and the influence and interplay of environment on the individual is therefore determinative. As Jeffrey Goldberg has put it: regardless of genetics, absent the necessary facilitating environmental conditions, no one must become a homosexual.

Twin studies undercut the narrative of the homosexual rights movement (which the United States Supreme Court has embraced virtually as a matter of law, even though that narrative is empirically false) that homosexuality is determined by genes---and is thus an outcome beyond the control of the homosexual. Twin studies prove that environment interacting with the individual is dispositive and therefore that free will (the metaphysical freedom of the mind) remains relevant.

In short, you've erected and attacked a straw man. blush crazy laugh

What I find most humorous though is a materialist such as yourself (someone who of necessity thinks free will is entirely illusory) arguing his case on the basis of concordance studies. Because if your default position is that the metaphysical freedom of the mind is illusory (because all freedom of action is determined by factors outside the control of any such thing as a "free agent")then what is the point of relying on a concordance study at all? The very fact of reliance upon concordance evidence in the case of genetically identical twins implies the belief that a behavior might not be genetically determined! I've thought for a very long time that you're not quite the thorough-going atheist you claim to be and your response above proves it (either that or you haven't thought through your atheism very thoroughly).

Jordan

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

[Linked Image]

Perhaps you should.

No fan of RJF but the Twin Studies revealed that genotype is not the entire story as to explaining behavior.

Having identical genes does not mean that those genes are necessarily expressed exactly the same for each twin. From genotype to phenotype is a complex pathway. And it is safe to assume that the greater the complexity, the more possibility for stuff to diverge.

iTwins are normally not absolutely identical, even in utero.

Epigenetic studies have demonstrated identical twins with different epigenetic markers. An example are iTwins born with different birthweights. Genomic examination show correlation with divergent epigenetic markers.

So RJF arguing that 'phagots are not born as phagots' on the merits of the Twin Studies still needs to exclude the possibility that epigenetics cannot mediate phagot behavior to be absolutely correct.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Lotta guys on here way too invested in where other guys are stuffing their cocks.....

Ain't that what good "christians" are supposed to do?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Oh, and one other point....you're apparently not much of an evolutionist either because at present, there is no satisfactory evolutionary explanation for homosexuality on a theory of genetic determinism. Leading evolutionists and geneticists have been very clear that homosexuality cannot be explained on the basis of our current understanding of evolution and genetics. This means one of three things (1) neo-Darwinian macro-evolution is false; (2) homosexuality is not genetically determined or (3) there is a satisfactory evolutionary explanation for the survival of a gene which results in an organism (viz., a homosexual) leaving less offspring than its conspecifics, but we just haven't discovered it yet. blush laugh No doubt your faith is up to the challenge though! laugh laugh laugh

As usual, you are just wrong on all points.

First I mentioned your choice to follow the religion of a modern convicted fraudster because it demonstrates you inability to evaluate the quality of evidence. If you can't see through the story of the hat and gold plates, how could it be expected that you could evaluate the quality of sources and complexities of Human Genetics.

I really like how you quote Jeffery Goldberg, a conservative Jewish journalist. Heck, why not just use Glen Beck for your scientific authority.

As for the quality of your argument, you begin with a complete lack of understanding of genetics. In your example, you use eye-color, but even eyecolor is affected by as many as 16 genes,. Although eye color is usually modeled as a simple, Mendelian trait, further research and observation has indicated that eye color does not follow the classical paths of inheritance(1)

However, if you look at height, height is a non-Medelian trait that's determined by the interaction of several thousand genes. In a new study published in Nature Genetics, researchers have proven that no less than 697 small variations in our genomes influence our height. (2)
In addition to use your loaded language, genetics is not "deterministic" for height. With women in western nations, genetic factors may account for as little as 68% of what determines a woman's height.

According to your previous argument, since genetics is not 100% deterministic of height, that means a persons height is a matter of personal choice. We know that's not the case, which demonstrates the absurd nature of your argument.

As for your assertion that evolution has not explanation for the occurrence of variance is sexual preferences, again you continue to demonstrate your lack of knowledge. As previously mentioned, sexual preference is affected by over 1000 different genes. It's not uncommon for genes to affect more than one trait, so although homosexuality is a negative trait for the continuance of that individuals linage, it does not preclude that gene from having a positive effect on a different trait. The gene for sickle cell anemia provided some protection against Malaria, a positive trait, but when joint in combination with the wrong combination of other genetic factors, it leads to a devastating disease.

As for the choices you provided above, the correct answer is (4)

(4) Rob Jordon doesn't know enough about genetics to provide an all include list of possibilities.

1.http://www.nature.com/jhg/journal/v56/n1/full/jhg2010126a.html

2. http://sciencenordic.com/scientists-discover-which-genes-determine-your-height

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/02/16.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

[Linked Image]

Perhaps you should.

No fan of RJF but the Twin Studies revealed that genotype is not the entire story as to explaining behavior.

Having identical genes does not mean that those genes are necessarily expressed exactly the same for each twin. From genotype to phenotype is a complex pathway. And it is safe to assume that the greater the complexity, the more possibility for stuff to diverge.

iTwins are normally not absolutely identical, even in utero.

Epigenetic studies have demonstrated identical twins with different epigenetic markers. An example are iTwins born with different birthweights. Genomic examination show correlation with divergent epigenetic markers.

So RJF arguing that 'phagots are not born as phagots' on the merits of the Twin Studies still needs to exclude the possibility that epigenetics cannot mediate phagot behavior to be absolutely correct.

Yes,

Identical twins are not identical. Typically range of variation is 50 to 200 genes.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Yep, the creator of the Universe, with 100 billion galaxies with billions of stars each is most concerned about this one primate species, who they have sex with, and it what positions. crazy

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/02/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to your previous argument, since genetics is not 100% deterministic of height, that means a persons height is a matter of personal choice.

lol

Coffee in my nostrils...!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

As usual, you are just wrong on all points.

First I mentioned your choice to follow the religion of a modern convicted fraudster because it demonstrates you inability to evaluate the quality of evidence. If you can't see through the story of the hat and gold plates, how could it be expected that you could evaluate the quality of sources and complexities of Human Genetics.

I really like how you quote Jeffery Goldberg, a conservative Jewish journalist. Heck, why not just use Glen Beck for your scientific authority.

As for the quality of your argument, you begin with a complete lack of understanding of genetics. In your example, you use eye-color, but even eyecolor is affected by as many as 16 genes,. Although eye color is usually modeled as a simple, Mendelian trait, further research and observation has indicated that eye color does not follow the classical paths of inheritance(1)

However, if you look at height, height is a non-Medelian trait that's determined by the interaction of several thousand genes. In a new study published in Nature Genetics, researchers have proven that no less than 697 small variations in our genomes influence our height. (2)
In addition to use your loaded language, genetics is not "deterministic" for height. With women in western nations, genetic factors may account for as little as 68% of what determines a woman's height.

According to your previous argument, since genetics is not 100% deterministic of height, that means a persons height is a matter of personal choice. We know that's not the case, which demonstrates the absurd nature of your argument.

As for your assertion that evolution has not explanation for the occurrence of variance is sexual preferences, again you continue to demonstrate your lack of knowledge. As previously mentioned, sexual preference is affected by over 1000 different genes. It's not uncommon for genes to affect more than one trait, so although homosexuality is a negative trait for the continuance of that individuals linage, it does not preclude that gene from having a positive effect on a different trait. The gene for sickle cell anemia provided some protection against Malaria, a positive trait, but when joint in combination with the wrong combination of other genetic factors, it leads to a devastating disease.

As for the choices you provided above, the correct answer is (4)

(4) Rob Jordon doesn't know enough about genetics to provide an all include list of possibilities.

1.http://www.nature.com/jhg/journal/v56/n1/full/jhg2010126a.html

2. http://sciencenordic.com/scientists-discover-which-genes-determine-your-height

So, lets disentangle this. Let's start first with our continuing education of you on simple logical constructs and fallacies.

http://literarydevices.net/ad-hominem/

Ad Hominem Definition

Ad hominem (Latin) means “against the man”. As the name suggests, it is a literary term that involves commenting on or against an opponent to undermine him instead of his arguments.

There are cases where consciously or unconsciously people start to question the opponent or his personal association rather than evaluating the soundness and validity of the argument that he presents. These types of arguments are usually mistaken for personal insults but they are somehow different in nature and the distinction is very subtle.

Arguers who are not familiar with the principles of making logical arguments commonly end up saying something that would draw the audience’s attention to the distasteful characteristics of the individual. Such people use this fallacy as a tool to deceive their audience. Making such a blatant personal comment against somebody makes it hard for people to believe it isn’t true. Typically, even the arguer himself believes that such personal traits or circumstances are not enough to dispose of an individual’s opinion or argument. However, if looked at rationally, such arguments even if true never provide a valid reason to disregard someone’s criticism.

Ad Hominem Examples

1. Just look at this common example.

“How can you argue your case for vegetarianism when you are enjoying your steak?”

This clearly shows how a person is attacked instead of being addressed for or against his argument.

2. A classic example of ad hominem fallacy is given below:

A: “All murderers are criminals, but a thief isn’t a murderer, and so can’t be a criminal.”
B: “Well, you’re a thief and a criminal, so there goes your argument.”

3. Another example of ad hominem fallacy is taken from Velonews: The Journal of Competitive Cycling. After an article about the retirement of Lance Armstrong, its webpage shared a post with its readers. A commenter posted a comment saying how great an athlete Armstrong was and that the people should be proud of his achievements.

Another commenter wrote in response to the first commenter:

He’s not a great athlete; he’s a fraud, a cheat and a liar. That’s why not everybody is “happy for Lance.”

The reasons given by the arguer may very well be true but he does not support his argument with reason and logic. He rather takes the disregarding approach. He does not say anything to prove that the premises it proposes are problematic, instead he goes on attacking the person who proposed them.

Functions of Ad Hominem

A writer’s background is considered to be a very important factor when it comes to judging his work. A book written on a particular subject in history will be perceived differently keeping in view the background of the author. Therefore, it is important to understand that a writer’s traits and circumstances have a pivotal role to play in his feelings, thinking and the construction of his arguments.

To put it simply, the considerations regarding the use of ad hominem can explain certain arguments and the motives behind them better. Nevertheless, such considerations are not enough on their own to evaluate an individual’s opinion and are certainly not sufficient to disregard them as false or invalid. The fact is that ad hominem is a kind of fallacy that leaves a great impression on the audience’s mind. It is an argumentative flaw that is hard to spot in our daily life. Although, the personal attack that has been made on the opponent might not even have a speck of truth in it, it somehow makes the audience biased. Ironically, despite being flawed, ad hominem has an amazing power of persuasion.

The worst thing about using ad hominem purposely is that an opponent insults you publicly. Whenever this happens to you, you must recover from the humiliation and then point out the false connection in the argument, which was used a trap for the audience. Moreover, the dilemma with ad hominem is that once it has been used against you it smears your reputation. Once somebody makes such a judgmental argument about you, the audience instead of evaluating it on logical grounds take it to be true.

In short, arguing my religion is as relevant to this discussion as Steve Young's religion is relevant to his ability to read defenses, or the obnoxious Danny Ainge's ability to manage the Boston Celtics. There is a reason that in academic journals discussing the work of scientists, critics don't invoke the religion (or lack thereof) of the their dialectical opponent. It's irrelevant. I suspect you know all of this, but since you have to create the appearance of winning even when you're badly losing, regardless of the cost---including the cost to your reputation, which is already well established on this site as that of the master of the anti-religion cheap shot, you forge ahead. But intelligent readers will have no difficulty identifying your arguments as fraudulent.

Oh, and by the way, Steven Goldberg was a sociology professor at CCNY and the Chair of the Sociology Department. He has a Phd.---from Yale if I recall correctly. He is the originator of the theory of the inevitability of patriarchy. He's a well respected academic with numerous highly regarded works to his credit. He has been published and favorably peer reviewed in numerous journals. William Briggs, a highly regarded mathematic statistician PHD., in his own right, calls "Goldberg is one of the most brilliant statisticians of the first kind that I have ever come across." I notice that your penchant for religious bigotry could not prevent you from mentioning Goldberg's religion either. I am 100% certain that no critic of his academic, peer reviewed articles has ever been so intellectually bankrupt as to attempt to rebut him by invoking his religion. Few people are that stupid---though that level of stupidity is prevalent on this forum. You would be exhibit A. laugh

(BTW, the reason academics to not employ the mode of argument (the invocation of logical fallacies) which is your stock-in-trade. They would be embarrassed to admit their incapacity to discuss issues on the merits that such a mode of argument necessarily entails.)

Now, let's discuss your wholly irrelevant invocation of and discussion of height. Height, as a phenotypic outcome, is an expression of the interrelationship between genes and environment. For example, a person might have the genes to be 6'6" tall, but if he is malnourished before and during puberty he may very well not reach his full genetic height. Therefore, height as a phenotypic outcome can never tell us with certainty how much of the outcome was caused by environment and how much by genes. Height, which is dependent on environment and not on genes alone, is therefore a useless example when one is attempting to prove the theory that a particular trait is influenced exclusively (100%) by genes (i.e., is determined genetically).

The argument of proponents of the political agenda of the homosexual rights lobby is that it is unfair and inhumane to discriminate in any way against homosexuals because their behavior (homosexuality) is genetically determined in the same way that eye color is genetically determined. (Implicit in this argument however is the notion that it is not necessarily unfair to discriminate against people who do have a choice in their behavior.) The salient point however is that height, which is an outcome of the interplay between genes and environment is useless and irrelevant as an example of model of causation where the theory of causation which the research seeks to test is the theory that homosexuality is 100% dependent on genes.

In short, it is irrelevant and analytically silly to use height as an example of genetic determinism when height is heavily influenced by environment. The very last thing proponents of the homosexual rights lobby want to do is leave open any room in their causal model for environmental influences. Unfortunately for them, the identical twin studies prove that homosexuality is akin to height, not eye color. Twin studies show that genes are necessary, but not sufficient to explain the expression of homosexual behavior in a conspecific.

Jordan

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

It has been a while since something has amused me as much as that did.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Their noses would be better kept in their own business...and if that idea caught on maybe others wouldn't be so all-fired pissy about us owning firearms.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[/b]antelope_sniper: [b]"According to your previous argument, since genetics is not 100% deterministic of height, that means a persons height is a matter of personal choice. We know that's not the case, which demonstrates the absurd nature of your argument."

In this one statement you reveal your dishonesty in discussion/argument, your ignorance in logic, and maybe emptiness of soul. Beyond the absurdity of your statement, it is not what RJ said and it can not at all be found "according to his argument". Very sad behavior and hardly even worth comment, except that you shovel up this dreck time and time again.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[/b]antelope_sniper: [b]"According to your previous argument, since genetics is not 100% deterministic of height, that means a persons height is a matter of personal choice. We know that's not the case, which demonstrates the absurd nature of your argument."

In this one statement you reveal your dishonesty in discussion/argument, your ignorance in logic, and maybe emptiness of soul. Beyond the absurdity your statement, it is not what RJ said and it can not at all be found "according to his argument". Very sad behavior and hardly even worth comment, except that you shovel up this dreck time and time again.

Pot...meet kettle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

In this one statement you reveal your dishonesty in discussion/argument, your ignorance in logic, and maybe emptiness of soul. Beyond the absurdity your statement, it is not what RJ said and it can not at all be found "according to his argument". Very sad behavior and hardly even worth comment, except that you shovel up this dreck time and time again.

Its a great example of AS's mendacity. He's not above completely lying about someone's argument. And yes, it speaks volumes of his lack of integrity.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Rather than condemn people to a life of more suffering like you do?
Yes.

Like I said, there is a lot of guilt to go around that apologizes for bad behavior. How about we all face up to our mistakes and forgive ourselves? Then you can forgive others and do charity rather than condemn people to wallowing in misery.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

So Barry, you think it is your mission in life to make people do as you want.

You don't see anything wrong with that?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAlaugh

It's no wonder they're unhealthy, and not to mention the disease factorsick, any self loathing, confused, morally depraved, reprobated freak that hates everyone else and is always looking for something to cry 'victim/racist/prejudice' about ain't gonna be healthy, or long for life.

Trump Won!
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I can't make people do anything. But I can refuse to go along with the conventional "wisdom" and point out an alternative to it.

Change begins with me.

ETA:
I pointed out a problem via the article I cited. I believe I have a way to alleviate that suffering. Problem with that?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I can't make people do anything. But I can refuse to go along with the conventional "wisdom" and point out an alternative to it.

Change begins with me.

And that is exactly how the anti-firearms crusaders work, the exact same interfering busy-body controlling way they operate.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

ETA:
I pointed out a problem via the article I cited. I believe I have a way to alleviate that suffering. Problem with that?

No, in the post I cited you pointed out that Christians are supposed to be interfering arseholes.

But hey...have it your way.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There's a reason some people can't be reached. I can't do anything about that. All I can do is hope I'm there when they are ready. All I can do is hope that we can all let ourselves be reached when we need to be reached.

If your car wrecks, I hope I can be there and pull you out. How's that for interference?

Last edited by BarryC; 07/02/16.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sorry for you that me pointing out an alternative offends you.
I will not stop.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That analogy doesn't wash as you are talking of vetoing peoples personal choices, not providing physical aid.

You are doing EXACTLY what the gun-grabbers are doing, putting your choices ahead of everyone else's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm sorry for you that me pointing out an alternative offends you.
I will not stop.

Gays do not interest me in the least...but what you are doing does as it is what the gun-grabbers are doing, and they all get on their moral high horse just the same as you are doing.

And they refuse to stop as well.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That brings up an interesting point - if Christianity was all about eating a cracker and drinking some wine, maybe throwing a coin to a widow, it would be hugely popular. But getting people to look at themselves and admit that they, like all the rest of us, aren't perfect and could use a few changes seems to only enrage the vast majority.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pot...meet kettle.

JSTUART, one has to wonder how you could you possibly know enough to even attempt that?. So, what do you actually KNOW about the content of my soul. Kindly reveal your knowledge.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Rather than condemn people to a life of more suffering like you do?
Yes.

Like I said, there is a lot of guilt to go around that apologizes for bad behavior. How about we all face up to our mistakes and forgive ourselves? Then you can forgive others and do charity rather than condemn people to wallowing in misery.

Seems to me it's busybodies like you waving your Bible and condemning folks,not me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There's a reason some people can't be reached. I can't do anything about that. All I can do is hope I'm there when they are ready. All I can do is hope that we can all let ourselves be reached when we need to be reached.

If your car wrecks, I hope I can be there and pull you out. How's that for interference?

Maybe you should run into a gay bar and pull some cocks outta azzwholes?

Last edited by Sauer200; 07/02/16.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Its a great example of AS's mendacity. He's not above completely lying about someone's argument. And yes, it speaks volumes of his lack of integrity.

Not at all. You rested your entire argument on the "genetics is not 100% determinant" peg.

It's not my fault you choose such a weak peg and a simple example of how genetics actually works would cause it to break beyond the point repair.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Pot...meet kettle.

JSTUART, one has to wonder how you could you possibly know enough to even attempt that?. So, what do you actually KNOW about the content of my soul. Kindly reveal your knowledge.

You do realise that you were referring to the lack of content of AS's soul, and that I was pointing out your hypocrisy.

But hey, you can rewrite it and go with you being the victim if you like...but before you do, "one has to wonder how you could you possibly know enough to even attempt that"?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That brings up an interesting point - if Christianity was all about eating a cracker and drinking some wine, maybe throwing a coin to a widow, it would be hugely popular. But getting people to look at themselves and admit that they, like all the rest of us, aren't perfect and could use a few changes seems to only enrage the vast majority.

Now instead of preaching from the almighty high pulpit, try reading and understanding your own words...then apply them to yourself.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Now instead of preaching from the almighty high pulpit, try reading and understanding your own words...then apply them to yourself.

Some "christians" need to remember this verse.

How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye?

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Are you attempting to remove a speck from my eye?

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Frankly, this isn't necessarily a Biblical issue. Even an Atheist such as yourself could look at the numbers from studies like this and conclude that there's a problem with the behavior.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Frankly, this isn't necessarily a Biblical issue. Even an Atheist such as yourself could look at the numbers from studies like this and conclude that there's a problem with the behavior.

No doubt.

But then, the behavior of fat people do too. Even a few of them on this forum.

Why not make gluttony your crusade? Bible sez that is a sin too.

Why single out buttsex and rainbow thongs? You might also consider supersized oral gratification.

Fixing fat phagots could be *your* nirvana.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I, like you, am a finite being. Isn't there something else *you* could be worrying about?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Good evening Barry...I agree that it isn't a biblical issue and I most definitely agree that their behaviour is ratty, also that not a lot of good can come form messing about in other blokes arses.
However I do not want to impose my beliefs upon others as the gun-grabbing buggers do upon me, and as long as none interfere with me or mine then I can live and let live so long as I am afforded the same accommodation.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can respect that you too can't worry about everything. Like everyone else, you have to pick your issues to deal with.

There's only one of you, only 24 hours in a day and only so many days in your life.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I, like you, am a finite being. Isn't there something else *you* could be worrying about?

Poking fun at overbearing zealots seem like fun this week.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Barry,

Of course it's a less the optimum condition. The question is are you justified in imposing your bronze age belief system upon those in this condition.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Barry,

Of course it's a less the optimum condition. The question is are you justified in imposing your bronze age belief system upon those in this condition.

I don't think medical facts have much to do with "bronze age belief systems".
What about my "bronze age belief system" is different from what you believe your average Atheist would do? Aren't there any Atheist doctors? EMTs? Don't any Atheists give to charity? Any of them teach?

I understand that Atheists generally don't like being charitable, but not all of them are that way.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Barry,

What about my "bronze age belief system" is different from what you believe your average Atheist would do? Aren't there any Atheist doctors? EMTs? Don't any Atheists give to charity? Any of them teach?

I understand that Atheists generally don't like being charitable, but not all of them are that way.

What? You playing 'follow the red herring' now?

Or are you saying that *your* charity comes with antibuggering strings?

Never mind. Easy to see what *fascinates* you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by quote
Even an Atheist such as yourself could look at the numbers from studies like this and conclude that there's a problem with the behavior.

No doubt.
But then, the behavior of fat people do too. Even a few of them on this forum.
Why not make gluttony your crusade? Bible sez that is a sin too.
Why single out buttsex and rainbow thongs? You might also consider supersized oral gratification.

People who profess to be Christians that hold up a cherry-picked sin higher than all of the others 'never do' list all of the other sins and 'abominations' on the list that the God of the Bible finds equally offensive. There's 2 kinds of adultery in the Bible. There's outright adultery, and there's adultery caused by divorce. Divorce is very prevalent in our society, even among those who profess to be Christians. Divorce is certainly a lot more prevalent than homosexuals are. And divorce has certainly damaged more lives than homosexuality has. Wonder if 'any' of those who profess to be Christians and are vehemently condemning homosexuality for Biblical reasons have ever been divorced themselves, or have loved ones that have been divorced...?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

That is exactly my experience with the LBGT crowd too. I agree with you fully. The only exception that I ever saw was in a drag queen club in Washington DC. There was a guy there that could have given Refrigerator girl a run for her money. I suspect that he was probably a hermaphrodite, because he was female in ever aspect except for his crotch package.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Allen917
The only exception that I ever saw was in a drag queen club in Washington DC. There was a guy there that could have given Refrigerator girl a run for her money. I suspect that he was probably a hermaphrodite, because he was female in ever aspect except for his crotch package.

uh oh.

A member with an overactive gaydar is going to come on the thread and ask what you were doing in a gay bar in DC looking at some guy's package.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Barry,

Barry,

The difference is I don't believe being gay is the equivalent of having a sunken chest wound and that I have a mandate from the creator of the universe to "fix them". Consequently I have a more measured view.

Mild prostate cancer can be very survivable for a long time. If an ancient belief system causes you to think everyone with prostate cancer is doomed to a eternity of fiery torture it might cause you to kill the patient with an overly aggressive regime of chemo, radiation, and surgery, when it could of been amply controlled with radioactive seeds.

This is one of the biggest problems with extreme religious views, it doesn't allow people to see nuance. Rob demonstrates this above where he goes out of his way to deny the biological influences on sexual preference because what his religion has proclaimed sin would then be the fault of his god, thus preventing a rational discussion of one of the significant variables in this equation.

Earlier you mentioned "helping" gay people. What's your proposed method of help? Praying away the gay? Forces conversion "therapy", life in solitary (because lots of butt sex occurs in prision) stoning to death?

How do you propose to "help" them?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The only exception that I ever saw was in a drag queen club in Washington DC. There was a guy there that could have given Refrigerator girl a run for her money. I suspect that he was probably a hermaphrodite, because he was female in ever aspect except for his crotch package.

uh oh.

Some member with an overactive gaydar is going to come on the thread and ask what you were doing in a gay bar in DC looking at some guy's package.

Whenever something like this comes up I just naturally assume they were on the grog with 'flave.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

uh oh.

Some member with an overactive gaydar is going to come on the thread and ask what you were doing in a gay bar in DC looking at some guy's package.

Whenever something like this comes up I just naturally assume they were on the grog with 'flave.

Reminds me of 'flave saying that lesbians are just regular girls + a sixer of 40 ozers . Might apply to some guys too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Barry,

The difference is I don't believe being gay is the equivalent of having a sunken chest wound and that I have a mandate from the creator of the universe to "fix them". Consequently I have a more measured view.

Mild prostate cancer can be very survivable for a long time. If an ancient belief system causes you to think everyone with prostate cancer is doomed to a eternity of fiery torture it might cause you to kill the patient with an overly aggressive regime of chemo, radiation, and surgery, when it could of been amply controlled with radioactive seeds.

This is one of the biggest problems with extreme religious views, it doesn't allow people to see nuance. Rob demonstrates this above where he goes out of his way to deny the biological influences on sexual preference because what his religion has proclaimed sin would then be the fault of his god, thus preventing a rational discussion of one of the significant variables in this equation.

Earlier you mentioned "helping" gay people. What's your proposed method of help? Praying away the gay? Forces conversion "therapy", life in solitary (because lots of butt sex occurs in prision) stoning to death?

How do you propose to "help" them?

"Measured"? "Nuance"?

Careful my friend. That is the vocabulary of bleeding heart liberals. wink

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That is exactly my experience with the LBGT crowd too. I agree with you fully. The only exception that I ever saw was in a drag queen club in Washington DC. There was a guy there that could have given Refrigerator girl a run for her money. I suspect that he was probably a hermaphrodite, because he was female in ever aspect except for his crotch package.

Allen,

I believe the evidence indicates sexual preference is not and ON/OFF switch but more of a continuum, a dial from zero to 100. When you encounter someone along way down the gay scale, it can be easy to quickly pick them out, even when the dress and act normal, voice, effeminate body movements, and even body odor can be a dead giveaway. Some are not that glaring, and perhaps they could go either way. The wrong influence at the wrong time, the man in authority, such as a priest, mentioned above, and their future preferences are greatly affected. Others will never show any interest in same sex relations and cannot imagine anyone not preferring the fine female form.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Far be it or me to point the finger, but there have been times when I have sat on the toilet with my eyes watering and my nose streaming from the stench...God know why anyone would go near that voluntarily.

But, each to their own.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Far be it or me to point the finger, but there have been times when I have sat on the toilet with my eyes watering and my nose streaming from the stench...God know why anyone would go near that voluntarily.

But, each to their own.

Unless you are this girl:

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

But, each to their own.

Even if the orifice of discussion belongs to this?

[Linked Image]

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of grapes are those I wonder?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 673
What kind of grapes are those I wonder?

You failed the gay test. laugh

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think/know the gays are running the beauty pagents these days because I saw a contestant on CNN the other day.
She/it is the 1st openly gay contestant, she/it wasn't good looking at all, thats why I dont remember the contest, the adams apple on a woman really turns me off.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If LGBT is a high health risk group, will they have to pay higher insurance premiums?

Be not weary in well doing.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.