Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I read this on another site, lots of truth in it.

"Wanna know why there were almost no school shootings 50 years ago? Violent kids were sent to reform schools and crazy kids were sent to a state run mental hospital. Antisocial behavior had sever consequences"

Probably a lot to that statement. I also believe that the increasing violent video games that kids constantly play these days desensitizes kids to violence and gun violence in particular. Hard to believe, but most kids know more about very specific firearms and their operation due to the highly detailed video games than I do about a lot of different handguns on the market today.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by hanco
What is wrong with people? What makes them do this?

The snapping of the American mind by the lieberals.

Their parents never beat their ass when they were kids. And all those damn participate trophy !

I doubt that never violently aggressing against children produces violent children, particularly when all the research existent points to the opposite. You guys who imagine that beating a child is somehow effective to produce anything other than a broken adult piss me off.

What does it teach the child? Let's see... Violence solves problems. It is perfectly justifiable to use violence to get someone to submit. You are free to attack someone if they have no recourse. It is perfectly for that bully to beat you, because he can. You should beat your kids, because that produces healthy adults. If you don't submit to authority, you will face physical assault. Aggression is fine, as long as you can get away with it. Those are a few things that come to mind.

Yep, keep beating your kids, idiots. It will make us more free as a nation, and more peaceful as a society.

There are a lot of specific scenarios in the above that I am not agreeing with (beating vs spanking, free to attack someone when you dont like them/their opinion, etc), but...

Anyone who tries the bunk of saying "Violence does not solve problems", has never been right and won a fight. Pure and simple. It (violence) most certainly DOES solve some problems, and in a very good, final way.

Many times, that bully WILL beat you if he can, and he won't give a crap what you have to say about it. Take it to him and I bet he, at the very least, will think twice about using you as a target. In my experience, they are more likely NOT to consider you thereafter. There are easier pickings.

Last edited by AKtrapper26; 01/23/18.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

"Wanna know why there were almost no school shootings 50 years ago? Violent kids were sent to reform schools and crazy kids were sent to a state run mental hospital. Antisocial behavior had sever consequences"

Probably a lot to that statement. I also believe that the increasing violent video games that kids constantly play these days desensitizes kids to violence and gun violence in particular. Hard to believe, but most kids know more about very specific firearms and their operation due to the highly detailed video games than I do about a lot of different handguns on the market today.

Agreed. Also, to me, this raises some interesting questions about mass violence back 150-200 years ago. How many mass public shootings were there, back when everyone in the bar, or say, store, or on the street, was packing on their hip, openly?......

This, despite the culture of violence going on all around them (duels in the street, fights/shootings just because someone called you a coward/liar - whether you were or weren't).

I find it hard to justify anything more than perhaps a desensitizing that is brought on by games/tv, but there are waaay more folks using those products - playing those games, watching those movies, than there are shooting people up. Just as the non-violent gun owners vs the few that misuse them.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKtrapper26

Their parents never beat their ass when they were kids. And all those damn participate trophy !

I doubt that never violently aggressing against children produces violent children, particularly when all the research existent points to the opposite. You guys who imagine that beating a child is somehow effective to produce anything other than a broken adult piss me off.

What does it teach the child? Let's see... Violence solves problems. It is perfectly justifiable to use violence to get someone to submit. You are free to attack someone if they have no recourse. It is perfectly for that bully to beat you, because he can. You should beat your kids, because that produces healthy adults. If you don't submit to authority, you will face physical assault. Aggression is fine, as long as you can get away with it. Those are a few things that come to mind.

Yep, keep beating your kids, idiots. It will make us more free as a nation, and more peaceful as a society.

There are a lot of specific scenarios in the above that I am not agreeing with (beating vs spanking, free to attack someone when you dont like them/their opinion, etc), but...

Anyone who tries the bunk of saying "Violence does not solve problems", has never been right and won a fight. Pure and simple. It (violence) most certainly DOES solve some problems, and in a very good, final way.

Many times, that bully WILL beat you if he can, and he won't give a crap what you have to say about it. Take it to him and I bet he, at the very least, will think twice about using you as a target. In my experience, they are more likely NOT to consider you thereafter. There are easier pickings.

Amen to that, AK.

Physical violence isn't always the answer - but sometimes it is the only answer that works. Kids should be raised to know the difference between choosing violence and resorting to violence when appropriate. Same for corporal punishment or physical correction. Those who push the "never" idea are just setting them up for trouble ahead.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

They always said of the English back in the day that "they beat their children and spoil their dogs"

If this weren't such a somber and sad thread, I'd post a video from the movie "Angela's Ashes" about a kid growing up in Ireland back in the day and getting beat at school, it takes me down memory lane. I grew up in England but we went to an Irish Catholic school run by an order of old-school Christian Brothers. They all carried heavy leather straps, I got beat every week, most all of us did, it hurt. When they closed due to declining enrollment they apologized for their "brutality" grin Dunno that it turned anyone "brutal", it was an all-boys school, mostly ya learned pain tolerance, crying didn't help at all grin

My father was right handed, I recall when I committed an act of egregious (but very funny) vandalism while out and about when drunk at around age 16 and got caught, he knocked me out of my chair with a right hook. I didn't hold it against him, I deserved it.

OTOH I never laid a hand on my son, neither did my sisters and brother on their kids, they all turned out OK, well adjusted and all that.

I will say that as a kid the prospect of getting whupped with a leather strap seemed to focus even the most distracted and hyperactive kids in school, no medication required.

So no, I don't believe beating your kids or not, within reason, produces messed up adults.

The ideal thing for raising well-adjusted kids seems to be two loving parents, and consistent boundaries and values.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Another unpopular kid who was bullied??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Truth.

As the new kid at school, I had to fight four guys during a football game. Not one of them gave me any sheit from that day forward. Kids nowadays are too soft to fight because they're momma's special little boy. Newsflash- life ain't all about your feelings.

Plus, social media= huge problem for kids today. Most of them can't even mumble a sentence in a room full of people they're so glued to their damn devices. Sickening.

Glad I grew up when I did.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Violent video game addiction and dementia is for starters. Any parents who uses video games as babysitters or let their kids live in the bedroom with them all hours are to blame.

The makers and sellers of these are to blame. They have no redeeming values and only give kids and younger addicted adults a warped sense or reality and death. To them death isn't permanent, just re-boot and start over.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Take it to him and I bet he, at the very least, will think twice about using you as a target. In my experience, they are more likely NOT to consider you thereafter. There are easier pickings.

Been my own personal experience as well, Bullies are cowards and will always seek the easiest target.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are you a loser and want to be famous? Just shoot up a school and your name will be a household word. Stop releasing the names. Grind them into mulch and bury them.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Violent video game addiction and dementia is for starters. Any parents who uses video games as babysitters or let their kids live in the bedroom with them all hours are to blame.

The makers and sellers of these are to blame. They have no redeeming values and only give kids and younger addicted adults a warped sense or reality and death. To them death isn't permanent, just re-boot and start over.

A lot of truth there, Safari. And those same parents who were too damn lazy to spend ANY quality time with their kids, and let them play the violent video games as a fuggin babysitter are just as much to blame, too.

I'll also add that probably many members here, like me, more than likely had a 30-30 Winchester & a 12 ga pump shotgun on the gun rack in their pickup in plain view in the School parking lot, in High School. I also had my Colt Frontier Scout .22 revolver in the glove box as we ran our traps before school every morning in the winter.
And the thought of shooting someone never once crossed my mind. Not once!
And I was a whole lot more scared of what my Dad would do, then the Police Dept, if I got caught doing something stupid with a gun.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Never been much for either beating on kids or even dogs, for that matter. Got mine as a kid,...like many of my generation. I can't see that it had a positive effect. I can't say that I ever sat down with myself and made a decision against it. It's just that it's not in me to do so.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
My kids turned out all right,..my dog is spoiled rotten, however.

Oh well,....he's a happy spoiled rotten dog,...so it's okay.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I doubt that never violently aggressing against children produces violent children, particularly when all the research existent points to the opposite. You guys who imagine that beating a child is somehow effective to produce anything other than a broken adult piss me off. What does it teach the child? Let's see... Violence solves problems. It is perfectly justifiable to use violence to get someone to submit. You are free to attack someone if they have no recourse. It is perfectly for that bully to beat you, because he can. You should beat your kids, because that produces healthy adults. If you don't submit to authority, you will face physical assault. Aggression is fine, as long as you can get away with it. Those are a few things that come to mind. Yep, keep beating your kids, idiots. It will make us more free as a nation, and more peaceful as a society.
You must be rather PO'd because you are writing nonsense. Can you make a distinction between your "violently aggressing against children" (beating?) and parental application of controlled and dispassionate corporal punishment in keeping with the nature of the correction needed and the characteristics/sensitivities of the individual child? If you cannot understand and make that distinction and think/write accordingly, your comments are practically worthless. If you can make such a distinction and reason accordingly, you have betrayed your self as a knee-jerk knot head who doesn't reason before he writes.

You posture as if every parent who applies corporal punishment is violently beating the kid to the result of a bad outcome. That is a dumb posture, because such is not the case. Never have I seen a poster here advocate "beating" a child to the degree of violence, and it is a sign of ignorance - or social violence - for you to pretend such to be the case. Do you really think that you need to tell people here that violence against children does not solve problems? Lest you forget, you are casting your junk before a lot of folks who have carefully, lovingly and very successfully raised a whole bunch of good kids - and who, as parents, strategically applied spankings and other hurts/punishments for good purpose along the way. As a result, they raised people who are now well-adjusted and positive living adults. Such experience means a ton - and is indelible.

Unfortunately, I've had to listen to narrow-minded bleeding hearts like you most of my life. Your "Let's see" list is silly posturing - and there is no credible research which adds up to support for your posture - simply vapid academic imagining. Where did it all go wrong for you? Did your parents truly "violently aggress" against you - have you, as a result, become a violent social misfit/sociopath who is blaming that on your parents - or are you simply a shallow thinking liberal do-gooder who refuses to see how life really works and rails against those who are on the track. Why not think things like this through before going on such a rant, because thinking people won't care how PO'd you are about your delusional constructs.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
aside from bullying, a love triangle? and not knowing how to handle it? Jealousy causes adults to do stupid things, so think like a 15 YO.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

A whole lots of truth. Was talking to a special education teacher and some of her kids are in spec ed due to "behavioral issues", basically little psychopaths that would've been in reform school or expelled 40 years ago but now they're being "mainstreamed" with the normal kids so their self esteem doesn't get hurt.

Agree on the video games, back in the day most kids knew what death was because they with either hunted or grew up on a farm slaughtering pigs or something and families were much more extended so someone was always dying. Now days most of their only experience with death is through video games where hitting reset solves everything. Was amazed that most of my friends kids who are junior high aged and older have never been to a funeral before,

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

"PHOTO: Marshall County High School Suspect Taken Into Custody." https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpr...-01-23-at-2-21-09-pm.png?w=328&h=531

https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/marshall-county-high-school-suspect-shooter-photo/

A photo of a male being taken into custody at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, has surfaced on social media. According to the Daily Mail, the male in the above photo is the high school student accused of bringing a gun into the school and opening fire. The suspect will be charged with murder and attempted murder.

“[He] was apprehended by a Marshall County Sheriff’s Deputy roughly 15 minutes after the shooting broke out,” Daily Mail reports. The arrest was described as a “non-violent apprehension.”

During a news conference, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin confirmed that the suspect is a 15-year-old student. Police have not yet released the name of the suspect. A motive is also unclear at this time.

The incident occurred around 8 a.m. local time on January 23. Authorities say that 19 people have been injured, 14 of them suffering gunshot wounds, and two people, both students, were killed. Mayor Bevin confirmed that a 15-year-old girl and 15-year-old boy died from their wounds. The deceased female died on scene, and the deceased male died at a trauma center.

Bevin also said that investigators believe that all of the other victims are students.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d not blame “violent video games” per se, it’s pretty common for kids to surreptitiously load versions of Halo and other multi-player combat games onto school networks at play them literally every available minute. I would point a finger at a typical kid’s life now that consists of much if not most of their lives on computers and smart phones, correspondingly losing touch with reality.

OK, here I am on my smart phone but if I were on a computer I could google up an article wherein our troops in Iraq that had grown up online were significantly less able to anticipate where IEDs might be located as compared to older personnel and those few younger troops who had grown up without electronics. Basically the first group was less able to think in three dimensions, treating the windshield of a Humvee like it was a video game. Untold thousands of hours in front of a computer had affected how their very brains were wired.

My own son, 33, narrowly missed all that, but if I was raising a kid today I’d limit their access to both social media and games.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For several years, I taught the teen Sunday School class at our church. One of my girls was living here at the time, but moved to Marshall County and attended the high school where the shooting occurred. We talked to her grandmother yesterday, and she was in the vicinity of the shooting, but was okay. That was a relief to find out she wasn't a victim.

Now, it is hard for me to even begin to try to understand why someone would do this. Such things were not even on the radar when I was in school. The worst things someone could do was to get caught smoking, or flush a M-80 down the commode. Kids who were deemed a "problem" weren't babied, and put on medicine, and allowed to go right along with everyone else.......just because they had "rights." Instead, if they were a big enough problem, they were kicked out of school, or maybe sent to reform school........and most likely before any of that happened, they'd had their little azz worn out numerous times by a teacher or principal, something that usually worked.

Society is mostly responsible for these school shootings, and the way it has evolved. Video games, movies, TV, social media.......all are in a way responsible for the change that's come over our kids. Kids are very, very vulnerable to what they see and hear, and often confuse it as being real......when, of course, it's anything but.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The system wasn't perfect, but was much better than we have now. Half of it seems to have been scrapped instead of being tweaked until it was better.

The schools would just look excellent if the kids you're talking about were removed to the old institutions. Who knows how much better the kids who were left would act too...without all the terrible role models.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 31 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,779
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.