Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I've shot my 700 fast at elk escaping in fog. It was more of an excited mistake than skill, but the rifle ran like a Singer. The trigger froze up once in freezing rain, but it was fixed in the field. I think I read the extractors rarely fail if kept clean.

The big trick with 700 extractors is to clean brass particles and other gunk from under the extractor. I do it every time I clean the barrel, which is usually every 25-50 rounds, depending on the rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Sure as heck will never trust my life to a Remington 700. That whole situation was a comedy of errors.

I killed the grizzly in the photo posted earlier with a Remington 700, and had to shoot rapidly a couple more times even though the first shot was fatal--going through both lungs and the top of the heart. But had used that action (a stainless "short-action magnum") for close to 1000 rounds, and it had already proven itself on a couple dozen big game animals, from above the Artic Circle to dusty Texas. Oh, and I always made sure it was well-maintained.

Might also mention that Ross Seyfried, who I got to know pretty well when he was still in the gun-writing business, used a 700 .416 Remington Magnum as PH in Africa....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-had-a-bolt-handle-break-off#Post8557447

Help yourself. I'll pass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Whatever.

There are easy fixes to prevent a 700 bolt handle from breaking off--though I've fired over 20,000 rounds from various 700s and never had it happen.

Have also been with other shooters who fired around 80,000 rounds. Now, most of those were smaller cartridges, often 223s and similar stuff. But perhaps amazingly, have never seen a bolt come off or an extractor break. On the other hand, have seen "controlled-feed" extractors jump over the rim of fired cases and leave 'em in the chamber.

Almost anything can happen with ANY bolt-action, but have found well-maintained (and tested) push-feed actions to be very reliable. As did Ross.

The biggie is to thoroughly test 'em beforehand, and keep 'em clean.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by pal
Using max-power handloads is what nearly killed them.

Yep…that was my first thought when watching the video and I’m glad they discussed it at the end. Probably the worst situation for that hunt that could happen.

The rifle was the backup for the bow, when the bear got out of bow range they decided to take it with the rifle. I got the impression the first two hits were into vitals.

I suppose one could make the argument that a 243 with factory ammo would have been a better choice.. grins

Schit happens

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yet you listen to some knuckleheads here on the fire and every Remington they’ve been around has extraction issues and they are tripping over 700 handles in the woods.

Whatever.

There are easy fixes to prevent a 700 bolt handle from breaking off--though I've fired over 20,000 rounds from various 700s and never had it happen.

Have also been with other shooters who fired around 80,000 rounds. Now, most of those were smaller cartridges, often 223s and similar stuff. But perhaps amazingly, have never seen a bolt come off or an extractor break. On the other hand, have seen "controlled-feed" extractors jump over the rim of fired cases and leave 'em in the chamber.

Almost anything can happen with ANY bolt-action, but have found well-maintained (and tested) push-feed actions to be very reliable. As did Ross.

The biggie is to thoroughly test 'em beforehand, and keep 'em clean.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or trigger issues.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
keep your ground gun, i'll use either a TC Encore with a 23" MGM barrel in 444 Marlin with 280gr WFN GC and Reloder 7 or a Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 with 275gr WFN GC and IMR 4895.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a guy who deliberately took a .260 Remington to Alaska to hunt grizzly, and got a big boar with one chest shot. Can't remember the bullet, but know it wasn't a monolithic, and might even have been some sort of target bullet. But he's a professional hunter and very fine shot.
Around the same time, that particular fella also killed a pronghorn with a .338LM. grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I seem to remember an Outdoor Life writeup 10-20 years ago of an impressively tough female hunting guide in Alaska named Heidi Gutfrucht (sp?).

I vaguely remember her favoring a 25-06 as a Grizzly cartridge although she switched to a 45-70 lever gun when she was backing up clients later in her career.

The upshot of her experience, which was wide and decades long, was that most common deer cartridges could kill a Grizzly, but stopping one that was intent on killing you was an entirely different matter.

Last edited by czech1022; 09/17/23.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by czech1022
I seem to remember an Outdoor Life writeup 10-20 years ago of an impressively tough female hunting guide in Alaska named Heidi Gutfrucht (sp?).

I vaguely remember her favoring a 25-06 as a Grizzly cartridge although she switched to a 45-70 lever gun when she was backing up clients later in her career.

The upshot of her experience, which was wide and decades long, was that most common deer cartridges could kill a Grizzly, but stopping one that was intent on killing you was an entirely different matter.
BC.

Only know that because I remember her name from when I was looking at stone outfitters.

WTF I had done that one when I first started looking 15 years ago. 😬

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure as heck will never trust my life to a Remington 700. That whole situation was a comedy of errors.

I killed the grizzly in the photo posted earlier with a Remington 700, and had to shoot rapidly a couple more times even though the first shot was fatal--going through both lungs and the top of the heart. But had used that action (a stainless "short-action magnum") for close to 1000 rounds, and it had already proven itself on a couple dozen big game animals, from above the Artic Circle to dusty Texas. Oh, and I always made sure it was well-maintained.

Might also mention that Ross Seyfried, who I got to know pretty well when he was still in the gun-writing business, used a 700 .416 Remington Magnum as PH in Africa....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-had-a-bolt-handle-break-off#Post8557447

Help yourself. I'll pass.
Better not drive a vehicle either. Could be involved in an accident.

No clue how many 700s I have owned and been around. Never seen a bolt handle come off. Most have had a good amount of stiff handliads in them too.

Not saying it doesn't happen but not nearly as much of a problem as some would like to believe.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
back to the original topic, Phil Shoemaker once said using anything less than a .270 for brown bears was just a stunt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then he shoots one with a 9m/m pistol!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BRoper

Lmao Better to be lucky than smart. Just like duffus in the video.

Last edited by justin10mm; 09/17/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

I met Heidi and got to talk to her quite a bit when I spent time in rifle maker D'Arcy Echols' booth at the Federation of North American Wild Sheep convention over 20 years ago. She used her .25-06 as her personal hunting rifle for everything, including grizzlies and bull moose. But she was thinking about getting a bigger rifle for grizzly back-up even then, after a couple of clients proved they couldn't shoot very well in the field, though they did OK when check-shooting their rifles before the hunt.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I met Heidi and got to talk to her quite a bit when I spent time in rifle maker D'Arcy Echols' booth at the Federation of North American Wild Sheep convention over 20 years ago. She used her .25-06 as her personal hunting rifle for everything, including grizzlies and bull moose. But she was thinking about getting a bigger rifle for grizzly back-up even then, after a couple of clients proved they couldn't shoot very well in the field, though they did OK when check-shooting their rifles before the hunt.
I read a story years ago and it seems she was the one who said she didn't know why anybody would shoot those darned Partitions. Claimed they ruined too much meat.

Whoever it was did shoot a 25-06 with 120 Core-Lokts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by BRoper

Lmao Better to be lucky than smart. Just like duffus in the video.

Phil wasn't lucky. He'd tested the ammo thoroughly for penetration and knew the bullets would do the job. He also knew where to shoot the bear, because he's stopped a bunch of brown bear charges during half a century of guiding.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a guy who deliberately took a .260 Remington to Alaska to hunt grizzly, and got a big boar with one chest shot. Can't remember the bullet, but know it wasn't a monolithic, and might even have been some sort of target bullet. But he's a professional hunter and very fine shot.

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that Bella Twin, a Canadian woman, shot what was then the B&C record grizzly in 1953 with a .22 rimfire rifle, and she used .22 Longs, not even Long Rifles.

Twenty years ago I hunted musk ox with an Inuit guide in the Northwest Territories named David Ameganik, and he regularly killed polar bears with a .22 rimfire--though he stepped it up a notch and used a .22 Magnum (which he pronounced mag-a-num). He would sneak up within 50 yards amid jumbled ice-pack, and shoot them behind the shoulder once. He said after 10-15 minutes they'd "go to sleep." He didn't want to shoot them with his "big" rifle, a .30-30 Winchester Model 94, because the holes it made were too big, which lowered the value of the pelts.
The problem with waiting 10-15 minutes for the bear to go to sleep is what he could accomplish in that 10-15 minutes if he smelled breakfast.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is why the guy was careful to stalk into the wind, like you're supposed to, and hide in the crumpled ice-pack after he shot. The rimfire round didn't make much noise compared to the creaking and popping of the ice, and the bears didn't even notice the bullet hitting them very much.

At the time David was in his 50s and had killed a lot of bears. He and his wife lived in Gjoa Haven, a tiny town on an island north of the Canadian mainland, and she had a sister who lived in Rankin Inlet, another small town on Hudson's Bay. After the Arctic Ocean froze they'd take a snowmobile towing a sled with a bunch of gas cans over the ice, then head across the mainland for Rankin. They'd shoot caribou and polar bears on the way over, stowing caribou meat and gas cans periodically under rockpiles. They'd sell the bear hides in Rankin, then head back, stopping at the gas/meat caches for fuel and food.

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

BC.

Only know that because I remember her name from when I was looking at stone outfitters.

WTF I had done that one when I first started looking 15 years ago. 😬

No kidding. I hunted moose and elk with Stone Mountain Safaris in 08 and a stone was $32k IIRC. Today that hunt is ~$70 with them (they have been sold in between).

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.