The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

You know, I will say this about turret-twisting: it removes much if not all of that superstitious "don't touch it, it's zeroed" feeling.

I mean when you've jacked the "zero" of a scope to hell and back a few hundred times, and it keeps coming back to zero, after a while you start to trust the phookin' thing. Rightly or wrongly.

Jeff....uhh..sorry...not me! grin

If I were gonna get a scope for turret twisting there are exactly two that I would trust for that purpose....and neither one is mentioned here...you should sit in on some bull sessions at my club regarding turret reliability among the F class and BR shooters....only thing I will say is....there are a lot of Nightforce scopes showing up where there used to be other stuff......

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/05/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
S
Originally Posted by statjunk
Since I can't afford the top dollar scopes out there and since I'm going to have live with failure, I think I'm going to take a step down on scopes. I think I'm going Bushnell next time. They have roughly the same warranty and heck they are both going to fail.

I may give Vortex a try. Though right now they don't make the scope I'm looking for.

Tom
What scope are you looking for?

Scott

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scott_at_Vortex
Originally Posted by statjunk
Since I can't afford the top dollar scopes out there and since I'm going to have live with failure, I think I'm going to take a step down on scopes. I think I'm going Bushnell next time. They have roughly the same warranty and heck they are both going to fail.

I may give Vortex a try. Though right now they don't make the scope I'm looking for.

Tom
What scope are you looking for?

Scott

I'm looking for a Vortex Razor spotter with straight eyepiece.......got one? If not, when?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You know, I will say this about turret-twisting: it removes much if not all of that superstitious "don't touch it, it's zeroed" feeling.

I mean when you've jacked the "zero" of a scope to hell and back a few hundred times, and it keeps coming back to zero, after a while you start to trust the phookin' thing. Rightly or wrongly.

If I were gonna get a scope for turret twisting there are exactly two that I would trust for that purpose....and neither one is mentioned here...you should sit in on some bull sessions at my club regarding turret reliability among the F class and BR shooters....only thing I will say is....there are a lot of Nightforce scopes showing up where there used to be other stuff......

I was always a hold over shooter and for hunting it worked fine. I wanted something a little more precise, so I looked at scopes with yardage formats but they confused my eye terribly. Last year, I got a Nikon Monarch X 2.5x10x44mm and sent the info in to Kenton and had an elevation turret made for the load I shoot.

I was a little nervous about repeatability, but I can say that the scope has tracked beautifully and I have not had one issue, so far. I've used it out to 600 and come back to 100 and then run back out to 400 many times and it has been on the money. It still makes me a little nervous, but I do trust it now.

JM

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
RaceTire,

As I've said "if only I were King things would be different!"... But that isn't gonna happen.

I was only asking the two individuals to take their fight elsewhere. Our host can edit them out if he wants too. I just wanted the two knuckleheads to take to stop bothering the rest of us.

Thank you for your response and examples. Really... I do appreciate good advice. Sometimes it just takes me a while.

idahoguy101

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I was always a hold over shooter and for hunting it worked fine. I wanted something a little more precise, so I looked at scopes with yardage formats but they confused my eye terribly. Last year, I got a Nikon Monarch X 2.5x10x44mm and sent the info in to Kenton and had an elevation turret made for the load I shoot.

I was a little nervous about repeatability, but I can say that the scope has tracked beautifully and I have not had one issue, so far. I've used it out to 600 and come back to 100 and then run back out to 400 many times and it has been on the money. It still makes me a little nervous, but I do trust it now.

JM

Hey John! Nice to see you back. I was worried you'd caught the gay or something! grin

A Nikon on a Browning... oy.... don't let the wrong crowd get wind of that; you'll never hear the end of it! Big grin.

Nice to hear about the Nikon doing well in that regard. Conquests are stellar in terms of tracking- at least the half-dozen I've messed with are. Not as stellar as what Bob mentions (presumably) but stellar enough for the purpose of hitting a 10" target out to xxx yards.

To at least somewhat stay on topic this is one major area where Leup lost me. Tracking. I know it's not relevant for many or most shooters, and I know some Leups track great; I have a couple of them. But the damn things are capable of some real squirreliness, too.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I like Nightforce optics, but my Leupold cost me less than $500. How much is a Nightforce? Is that really a fair comparison?

And like I said before, there are other, better scopes out there. Some more money, some less. But this time the Leupold had all the features I wanted when others didn't, at a price I wanted. Next time might buy something else.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can you get Leupold at Harbor Freight yet?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by slg888
Can you get Leupold at Harbor Freight yet?

Ouch! Thats low.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35
Some of them are repeated here time after time as a problem with the scope when it in fact is a case of improper mounting or defective mounts.

I just got off the phone with a Leupold Tech. I asked him if is was possible that I mounted my scope in the wrong place or over tightened the screws.

He said it was possible and this is the solution to the problem he gave me.

"Avoid mounting the rings over the dimple on the scope. This dimple is the stud for the erector spring."

"When tightening your screws down, tighten them evenly with an even gap on both sides to 28" lbs".

"I then said I don't have a way of measuring to 28" lbs. The tech then told me that when I tighten the screws down, tighten till you feel a slight spring on your torx wrench, then it is tight enough".

A very simple solution, just wish Leupold made it more clear on their mounting instructions.

Good info.

Thanks for posting it.

JM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Avoid mounting the rings over the dimple on the scope. This dimple is the stud for the erector spring."

I called again this morning about this and another Tech told me that this only applies to scopes 30 years and older.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where is this dimple? Don't remember noticing one, and I don't think it's visible on the two Leups I still have..... which means (gasp!) I've mounted on top of the dreaded Dimple of Doom! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.