Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Those are both very good letters. I learned many years ago, that on rainy nights, thefts are going to rise. You have to use your instincts more, if it looks suspicious, it probably is.

USDOJ statistics, will show that rural crime is one of the fastest growing segiments of criminal activity in this country.

We both know the reasons as you've outlined in your letter, economy, lack of jobs, drug involvement. That along with small understaffed, underfinanced LE agencies. Sadly LE agencies manytimes, especially rural agencies, are playing reaction vs action to crime.

I've honestly worked it from just about every angle I can imagine. Not sure what more I can "Legally" do at this point other than sit back and wait.

And yes, being that this is my 2nd ATV to be stolen - I did have a policy on this one but "Progressive" said it might be up to 60 days before it's settled.

I think I'll just buy a old 4x4 Toyo or Jeep next go around!

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do you have insurance?

Camp is where you make it.
Amen!
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Originally Posted by SolomonBrainiac
I bet they spray painted it and sold it for 500 bucks. Hopefully you had insurance because ever getting it back will be doubtful at best.

That's just about a guarantee!

If given the chance, I'll spray paint them to cover up the bruises and scrapes. Then I'll sand blast it off and start over again...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
While away on my out of state hunt this year, some low life scum sucking meth head stole my ATV!!!

To say I was pi**ed would be to put it lightly...

Driving back 12 hours to home only to know you've got to face trying to find those responsible sucked and I'm still looking so that adds even more suction to the whole process too!!!

This is/was my bike;

[Linked Image]

and I've been out rattling the doors and turning over rocks where all the local rat turds live in their smoked up meth bliss!!!

I can't stand a dang thief!!! and what's more I can't stand anyone who buys from a thief!!!

Not the way I wanted to end my out of state hunting trip early that's for sure!!!

Stay after it. Sometimes these things can turn out good...
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4147161/Thieves_update#Post4147161

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
The two things I despise most in life is a thief and or a liar.

Fixed it for ya

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have registration in Georgia or our 3 mile down the road neighboring state Alabama.

But I bet they never dreamed of robbing someone who would get the word out so fast and work so hard to get it back. The heat has been on them since the night they drove it off.

By now they've probably chopped it up and sold off the parts but that won't keep me from locating those responsible and bringing to them their justice.

Sorry to hear that it was stolen. I know your pain & frustration, i've seen it on many a citizens face. If a stolen report was taken by LE, it'll be entered into NCIC. I watch four-wheelers heavily, if i get close enough to one, that i even suspect might be stolen, VIN numbers are going to be ran. I'm not going to tell you, that it'll be recovered, but in 13 years i've seen some recovered that i never thought, we'ld ever recover.

I don't know your local S.O., but if the investigators have any snitches, that's who'll be a big help in finding it, if it indeed was taken by drug users. For those of you, who don't believe it, i've seen folks hotwire a four-wheeler very quickly.

We've set up a four-wheeler in a yard with a "For Sale" signs on it. We'ld drain the fuel out of the main and reserve tanks, leaving just enough to start it and run a short distance. That in areas that four-wheelers are being stolen, we'ld set up and wait. We had LEO's on dirt bikes to give chase. Normally those stealing them have stolen many, you can clear alot of cases, when you catch one of them. It's a big business stealing four-wheelers in the SE. What i found interesting, but not surprising is that many are stolen by juvenile groups.
Most excellent.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Damn !!! Low life

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Those are both very good letters. I learned many years ago, that on rainy nights, thefts are going to rise. You have to use your instincts more, if it looks suspicious, it probably is.

USDOJ statistics, will show that rural crime is one of the fastest growing segiments of criminal activity in this country.

We both know the reasons as you've outlined in your letter, economy, lack of jobs, drug involvement. That along with small understaffed, underfinanced LE agencies. Sadly LE agencies manytimes, especially rural agencies, are playing reaction vs action to crime.

I've honestly worked it from just about every angle I can imagine. Not sure what more I can "Legally" do at this point other than sit back and wait.

And yes, being that this is my 2nd ATV to be stolen - I did have a policy on this one but "Progressive" said it might be up to 60 days before it's settled.

I think I'll just buy a old 4x4 Toyo or Jeep next go around!

i tried that and the mexicans stole it

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HELLO,....where do any of youze' THINK confused these stolen Quads are going ?

Norway ? crazy

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that sucks rocks man, hate it for ya.

don't matter what a man has, if he's paid for it, it should remain his.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Do you have insurance?

I have a Cash Value policy from Progressive but let's face it, what I have in the bike and what I'll get is pathetic.

I wish I could buy a 4 wheeler for what insurance companies think they are worth.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Let's take a positive look at this, now you can go buy a Yamaha with 4 wheel lock and be a happier ATV owner!!!

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D2D looks like you are doing about all you can legally do for the moment. I surely hope you get your machine back and if you do it is worth anything.

Keep working at it and maybe just maybe.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few suggestions to try to prevent it happening again:
If you are going to be gone for very long disconnect or remove the battery. Don't leave it in the same building as the ATV.
Drain the gas tank and again don't leave it in the same building. This one might be worth considering to do daily. Would be best with a fuel cut off valve installed just below the fuel tank.
Maybe even remove one or more tires.
Just make it look like it will be more trouble than it is worth to steal.

MOST IMPORTANTLY raise cain with the state legislator until they require ALL Atv's to be registered. Even those that are used only on private property. Then someone trys to sell one but doesn't have a copy of the title no one in their right mind will buy it.

Hope they find it fast.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That sucks I hope the buggers get caught. Too bad it wasn't a Polaris. I have one I'll sell you cheap.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chris112
A few suggestions to try to prevent it happening again:
If you are going to be gone for very long disconnect or remove the battery. Don't leave it in the same building as the ATV.
Drain the gas tank and again don't leave it in the same building. This one might be worth considering to do daily. Would be best with a fuel cut off valve installed just below the fuel tank.
Maybe even remove one or more tires.
Just make it look like it will be more trouble than it is worth to steal.

MOST IMPORTANTLY raise cain with the state legislator until they require ALL Atv's to be registered. Even those that are used only on private property. Then someone trys to sell one but doesn't have a copy of the title no one in their right mind will buy it.

Hope they find it fast.

It's a dang shame one has to go through all that just to keep his stuff from being stolen.

But you are right and yeah, we've thought of that but when you use it on a farm often the last thing you want to have to do is refuel, put a battery back in and put back on tires.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by T LEE
The two things I despise most in life is a thief and a liar.

Those are the ONLY two things I despise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

Makes it easy to despise government, doesn't it...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The two things I despise most in life is a thief and a liar.

I would add someone that buys stolen property. mad Whether it is a gun, ATV, or watch. I'm still looking for a Honda, and a Polaris. LEO investigators didn't think it was even worth riding out to the farm to check it out. Too much other stuff to worry about I guess, chances of being successful to low and not enough people to go around. I don't really blame them, but next time I sure hope to have something to give them a little help.

It would be nice if all the ATV shops had a database that they could check to see if an ATV was stolen. It would also be nice if they cared more about getting a stolen ATV back to the owner than they did the $50.00 repair bill they were going to collect from the guy that bought the stolen one.

You can't lock ATV's up enough to stop someone from stealing them. They cut two big chains on mine and the lock on a gate. Given time, they can get them. The only recourse is to make it as hard as possible and take pictures of them doing it. Judges love pictures...

Last edited by Mathsr; 12/01/10.

Harry
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You are exactly right Mathsr! My 1st bike was stolen when I lived just across the Ga/Ala line in Alabama. It was inside a TRIPLE locked shed (a circle sheilded pad lock, a heavy duty pad lock and a door knob lock) and they cut every lock or busted the hidges off the locks to gain entry. Once inside, they had to cut one heavy log chain and one braided cabled that was fed through the rims and tires back up to the racks of the bike. Then once all this was cut, they hot wired it and rode it off. This was done during broad daylight while my wife and I were at work. If they want it, they'll stake you out and get your routine and come with tools needed to rip you off.

It's a dang shame!

One day, a owner with a set of nuts will catch them in the act and will lower the boom on them!

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a look at the locks I had on the outside of my building where the first one got stole from. I had documented everything b/c they had tried to steal it about a week earlier.

[Linked Image]

Here's the chain and braided cable that was through the rims and tires they had to cut. and the ignition they chunked.

[Linked Image]

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,567
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.