Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Justice, and Holder go on the attack!
link to story
The Justice Department accused Republicans of playing a "political game of gotcha," after lawmakers investigating Operation Fast and Furious said Attorney General Eric Holder received at least five memos on the gunrunning probe starting in July 2010 in spite of testimony claiming he learned of the program this year.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., released a series of heavily redacted memos apparently sent to Holder from Michael Walther, the director of the National Drug Intelligence Center. They appear to describe an operation involving the straw purchase of hundreds of firearms that went to Mexican drug cartels.

But as President Obama voiced "complete confidence" in Holder, the Justice Department put out a scathing statement Thursday afternoon suggesting the memos do not contradict Holder's claims that he was in the dark on the program last year.

"Here they go again. Chairman Issa and Senator Grassley can re-package and re-release the same documents every other day and it won't change the facts: the attorney general's testimony to both the House and Senate committees has been consistent and truthful," the department said.

The department said the "brief" passages were "buried in a few written reports" and did not detail the full extent of the operation.

"Instead of peddling selectively-edited transcripts and distorting questions and answers in some distracting political game of gotcha, these congressional leaders should be focusing their attention on the underlying public safety problem we confront as a nation -- that too many guns are being illegally trafficked to Mexico," the statement said.

The release of the documents comes as House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, requests Obama instruct the Department of Justice to appoint a special counsel.

In a statement Thursday, Issa claimed Holder "has failed to give Congress and the American people an honest account of what he and other."

"With the fairly detailed information that the attorney general read, it seems the logical question for the attorney general after reading in the memo would be 'why haven't we stopped them?'" Grassley said.

Through Fast and Furious, hundreds of firearms were allowed to walk across the U.S.-Mexico border, some later turning up at bloody crime scenes. The focus has turned lately to what Holder knew and when he knew it.

He said under oath in May: "I'm not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks."

But documents that started to surface earlier in the week suggested Justice officials at least tried to inform Holder. The latest memos show he was notified of the program repeatedly, though it's not clear to what degree Holder paid attention to the memos.

Obama on Thursday voiced confidence in Holder and his handling of the Justice Department.

"He has been very aggressive in going after gunrunning and cash transactions that have been going to these transnational drug cartels," Obama told reporters at a White House press conference.

"He's indicated that he was not aware of what was happening in Fast and Furious and certainly I was not, and I think both he and I would have been very unhappy if somebody had suggested that guns were allowed to pass through that could have been prevented by the United States of America."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-5-fast-and-furious-memos/#ixzz1a2aa9bBd

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We allowed America to vote in crooks, thieves, trash, enemies, and communists into office, what makes you think it will change now?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Scooter Libby went to prison for less. Holder should resign, but won't. The key question is when will a special prosecutor be appointed. If it happens, I think it will be sometime next year, at the earliest. Any earlier and the results start washing up on Obama prior to the November election. Obama will put it off as long as possible. Deny, deny, deny. That works sometimes.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Here`s my take.

The longer that Holder stays, the worse it gets for O`Bammy in `012. That`s what we all want, "as worse for O`Bammy in `012" as possible.

If Holder were to re-sign his position shortly or too early, then the country "might" be more a little more inclined to forget about "Fast n Furious."

I hope the GOP as a political strategy, keeps that investigation going and going as well as further investigations into the "green" company scandals on going well into next year.

There were more companies than just Solyndra which received hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Here`s my take.

The longer that Holder stays, the worse it gets for O`Bammy in `012. That`s what we all want, "as worse for O`Bammy in `012" as possible.

If Holder were to re-sign his position shortly or too early, then the country "might" be more a little more inclined to forget about "Fast n Furious."

Quite right. I think Issa and Grassley are prolonging their investigations deliberately, letting momentum build. Better a blockbuster of an explosion later than a little firecracker now.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The people who would vote for Obama today aren't any less likely to vote for Obama if Holder stays and a memo was found that he directly ordered the whole program and oversaw it daily.

Otto is my co-pilot.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
So far Rush is the only one saying this was an attempt to increase gun control measures. Does anyone know how to get in contact with Fox about why they won't discuss the why's and wherefores of this crap?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Too close to call but I'm thinking he stays.

If this had been a Republican regime he would have been gone weeks ago.

WRONG!

The present Chicago THUG/gang are arrogant, intransigent even they should cut their losses - they stubbornly dig in.

Fast and feloneous has caused more than 200 deaths/murders on both sides of the border. What eventually happens will depend on how stubborn the repubs are to follow F & F to its ugliest conclusion - regardless of the 'cover' the extremely-corrupt meedja even provides, to the point of being an obstruction of justice sometimes!! mad

If the recent "memo" showing Holder knew more than what he lied about to congreff, its only a matter of when his career is toast, and maybe he'll be destroyed personally as well! grin

If Holder and Nobastad are indeed "just two" of all the architects who created F&F (and whatever other evil they're guilty of), ALL of them need to be hanging from trees!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by NathanL
The people who would vote for Obama today aren't any less likely to vote for Obama if Holder stays and a memo was found that he directly ordered the whole program and oversaw it daily.
.....That`s probably true. BUT! If the investigations heat up more next year as opposed to this year, it will be more of a distraction to Bammy`s campaign and campaign strategies along with further added press exposure; on Fox News anyway.

That type of exposure is something Bammy doesn`t need during the campaign next year.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Border Doc

See this link.

<http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinio...ion_OhK6TBqPlEpRglHjsSbiBI#ixzz1ZKCGnptv>

Obama may not get the chance to dispose of Eric Holder before the news gets finished with him.

THAT is amazing. #1 that they would be SO arrogant to think they could get away with it and #2 that it is COMPLETELY different from anything we've heard so far about the scope of F&F. These people should hang.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
+1 w\bigsqueeze.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
where have i heard this before?...
..."A second notion is that the CIA was behind the whole thing, which accounts for all the desperate wagon-circling. Under this theory, the Agency feared the los Zetas drug cartel was becoming too powerful and might even mount a coup against the Mexican government. So some 2,000 weapons costing more than $1.25 million were deliberately channeled to the rival Sinaloa cartel, which operates along the American border, to keep the Zetas in check"

there are many agents in the DOJ, FBI, CIA, ATF. that should be in prison, and their US citizenship revoked

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinio...ion_OhK6TBqPlEpRglHjsSbiBI#ixzz1a2qhWPb0

Last edited by steelheadslayer; 10/06/11.

=========================================================
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pathetic cover story, that this was a bunch of rogue cops running guns to the most vicious drug cartels, across our border w/ Mexico, and w/ Holder & Obama having no knowledge whatsoever...Please!

So whether Holder goes or stays won't change anything--we'll just get more lies and cover-ups.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
knowledge of the program by Holder should be enough to see that he leaves office and is prosecuted for such

unawareness of the program despite memos detailing the program should be enough that he leave office due to gross incompetence.

while I think Rush is a giant gasbag, I believe he's correct in this instance that this was a covert attempt against 2nd ammendment rights.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
don't blaspheme on this forum 2letig2quit, Rush is the BOMB! laugh

Sam......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by NathanL

Yep. With 30% of the country being liberal and communist, 20% unemployed/underemployed and 50% paying no taxes,,,,,do the math folks.

I believe he has a clear path back to his present seat, Holder or no Holder. With all that's been swept under the rug since bammy went in office this Holder thing is small.

edited to add; Then there's,,,,ROMNEY!

Last edited by Old_Toot; 10/07/11.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Small ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
To Those who don't live along the border and are in the majority in big cities,,,yes, small.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
OLD TOOT - "Yep. With 30% of the country being liberal and communist, 20% unemployed/underemployed and 50% paying no taxes,,,,,do the math folks.

I believe he has a clear path back to his present seat, Holder or no Holder."

So do I ......... unless the "new" "Reagan type Democrats" vote against The Great Lord Obamacus Rex The Magnificent, The One Mighty And Strong, The Most Righteous Savior Of Mankind.

Who knows??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
OLD TOOT - "Yep. With 30% of the country being liberal and communist, 20% unemployed/underemployed and 50% paying no taxes,,,,,do the math folks.

I believe he has a clear path back to his present seat, Holder or no Holder."

So do I ......... unless the "new" "Reagan type Democrats" vote against [i]The Great Lord Obamacus Rex The Magnificent, The One Mighty And Strong, The Most Righteous Savior Of Mankind.[/i]

Who knows??

L.W.

Damn, for a moment there I thought you were bashing Spano!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,320
Posts18,505,806
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.