Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Re-barrel a WSM or SAUM to 6.5 Remington Magnum

The title says it. Has anyone done it? Any reason it wouldn't be feasible?

Wonder if they'll chamber the Ruger American in any of those.

Worse yet, they probably won't ship to cornrollersincali...

[Linked Image]

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Piss on brothers and sisters!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MattMan
Re-barrel a WSM or SAUM to 6.5 Remington Magnum

The title says it. Has anyone done it? Any reason it wouldn't be feasible?
Wonder if they'll chamber the Ruger American in any of those.

Worse yet, they probably won't ship to cornrollersincali...

[Linked Image]
Don't go away mad, little man, just go away. You know, maybe Ruger is planning on a version of the Makarov, too! I'll bet that makes you all stiff and warm, huh?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only if it'll ship USPS to Cornrollifornia, I HATE dem rules at UPS and Fedex.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What is up with this cat?

I've wondered the same thing many times. He obviously has some serious issues that he needs to have addresses by a professional. If you don't agree 100% with him he will call you names and use obsene languange with you. I can't believe the moderators allow him to remain on this site as while he may contribute some to the site his behavior and language turns many people away.

As for the Ruger American rifle it's not something that I would want but I see a big nich for it in the shooting market today.

And why do you think Ruger is dropping cetain No1's and other guns? DO you think they discontinue them because they are selling to many of them? No they are dropping them because they are not selling anymore. The Ruger Old Army was a cool gun but how many do you think they really sold? IF they were selling good they would still be making them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by candyass
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
What is up with this cat?
I can't believe the moderators allow him to remain on this site as while he may contribute some to the site his behavior and language turns many people away.
Would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman
IF they were selling good they would still be making them.

Bingo.

Think Delorian. GREAT concept. NO BUYERS.
Ford Festiva. SCHITTBOXXDELUXE. LOTS OF BUYERS.

Who made more coin?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AssMan
Originally Posted by candyass
IF they were selling good they would still be making them.
Bingo.

Think Delorian. GREAT concept. NO BUYERS.
Ford Festiva. SCHITTBOXXDELUXE. LOTS OF BUYERS.

Who made more coin?
Once again, two cornhole sniffers unite for some mutual poking and scratching. And speculating. But not much else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

But they are expanding their Mini-14 offerings to the delight of the discerning mouth-breather everywhere. And now they've got a bolt action directed towards the same dickheaded, lowbrow crowd.

I really tried to like the Mini series of rifles. I even bought into the line that adding a good barrel and pillar bedding would cure all ills. I had a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle re-barreled to 6x45mm, pillar bedded, and the trigger worked over by Accuracy Rifle Systems. I topped it with a Burris 3x9 Signature scope. It shot great -- for a Mini. I could get about 1.5 MOA to 2 MOA after all that -- the same as my iron-sighted AR15. I sent it packing a few years ago, though I did hang on to my AC556.

So you're a wannabe corn-holing, I mean rolling, mouth-breather, who is one of the people in the lower 48 willing to dump the cash to actually re-chamber a mini-14, AND chose a RUGER AC556?

WOW. Did you have the work done locally? If not, who shipped it, and was it described and insured accurately with the carrier of choice?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like these:

https://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/2085405/?sitecookie=242c64d46bdeae39ee4b1b2f4bbcb2ae

Definitely made in U.S.A. and a very good product.

Mebbe I should buy summa yo jeeenz beeeforze I go judgin' dem gunz.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There's nothing wrong with a low cost, no muss, rifle. Not everyone can afford a new Cooper. I hope they sell quite a few.

Not everyone is a rifle nut. Some want one they pull out, shoot a few times and go chase deer. this one will meet that need and then some.

WRT Bricktop, 24hrcampfire has an ignore function. I like it a lot. Others should consider it, and move on.

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not sure I personally care for the looks of that new Ruger rifle very much myself, but I do know one thing Ruger really got right here recently!! smile They are making their Hawkeye stainless sporter with the great laminate stock in .280 Remington this year! Thank you RUGER!!
I'm going to save my $$$ and buy one this spring or early summer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just checked with my micrometer cleaning rod and got 1-in-14.000015" median value with a S.D. of 0.00032 after I checked five different times.

The last time it was checked (the micrometer cleaning rod) for accuracy was 7-1-11 and its calibration is good for three years from that date as guaranteed by the U.S. Bureau of Weights & Standards.

What brand is that cleaning rod and where in THE [bleep] do I get one that measures to the five-millionths of an inch?

I been using a damn tape measure. And can't decide betwixt 130s and 140s until I know if my 260 is twisted 1-in-7.999995" or 1-in-8.000005".

HELP MISTEEERR WIZAAAAARD!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK, I gotta stop. I feel like I'm picking on the special needs kid at the bus stop.

Glad to see Ruger take on the Savage/Tikka/Remschitt market all at once at what is likely a Stevens price, all made in USA.

Hope they make a mint...

Last edited by MattMan; 01/05/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to see Ruger take on the Savage/Tikka/Remschitt market all at once at what is likely a Stevens price, all made in USA.
And you'll very likely be beating the drums in support of Ruger when they start making a version of the SKS. Or a Ruger-themed Hi Point. Made in U.S.A.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The first of many New Year's predictions:

You won't see this mentioned in the Custom Rifle forum.

Folks, you heard it here first.

Why?

Have you even looked at the rifles features before slamming it?

You proably own't see it on the "Custom rifles" forum here, since Ruger will not need a $500+ McMillan Edge on it. At 6.25lbs in a long action- it's light enough already?.

It also won't need any bedding , because that stock is already pillared and floated right out of the box.. Unlike 90% of the m77s or No 1 rifles that Ruger has ever made in the past.

The trigger won't need to be adjusted by a 'smith either-it adjusts down to a crisp 2.5Lbs with a screwdriver. It will probably feed reliably due to the polymer rotary mag which the Finns were not even smart enough to come up with during their last 20 years of constant redesigns.. No need to call Darcy Echols to get it to feed. Damn the luck.

The stock on that new Ruger is already better looking in terms of it's basic lines than half of McMillan's current sporter offerings.

I guess if you wanted that Ruger to be as ugly most rifles of the glass stocked rifles on the custom forums, you COULD pay someone to paint a baby puke colored "McSwirly" looking paint job on the stock.

Yeah- you won't see that Ruger on the Custom rifles forums because that rifle probably DOES NOT need 2 to 5K worth of "look at me" done to it just to shoot and function well.

You heard it here first. wink

Last edited by jim62; 01/06/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm a big Ruger fan,and will probably get one when it comes out in some sort of 7MM.

I can see it topped with an FX III 6X sitting under the seat in my work truck.
Mike

Last edited by mikeone; 01/06/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by avagadro
Just looked at the exploded view .... where's the recoil lug?

Had the same question. I t looks like the stainless bedding blocks act as the recoil lugs. The screws that hold the action to the stock run through them.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/06/12. Reason: typo

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me the Ruger American is going to be a good value for the price, with lots going for it. At $449 MSRP, it should retail for well under that.

Not sure I'm a fan of the bolt but that was a cost consideration, I'm sure. Bedded, free-floated, adjustable trigger, light-weight, detachable magazine, tang safety, soft recoil pad, Weaver scope mounts, low cost - if it shoots like my other Rugers I think Ruger has a winner that will attract a lot of hunters.

Granted, its not going to steal much business from Kimber, Cooper, Montana, NULA, etc, but it isn't designed for that market. On the other hand, I think it will do well against the Stevens, Marlin and Savage entry level offerings.

While I won't be rushing out to buy one, I won't be rushing out to buy anything else, either. An accurate and reliable 6.25 pound .30-06 or .270 for elk hunting for under $400 retail? That has my interest. (Not that I need another elk rifle...)

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/06/12. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And you'll very likely be beating the drums in support of Ruger when they start making a version of the SKS. Or a Ruger-themed Hi Point. Made in U.S.A.

You would be great on their marketing team. "Let's keep making guns that nobody wants to buy anymore because I like them." If there is a market for a US made SKS (even though there isn't) why not make them? HiPoints aint my cup of tea but obviously enough people like them that they sell a ton of them.

You do realize that there are opinions other than yours don't you?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.