Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I wasn't aware that eastern diamondback bites were lethal...

ALL snakes in the eastern U.S. are potentially lethal - ALL of them, pit-vipers or not! 'Cause they'll cause you to run into schit or leap into parts unknown...... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for the life of me, I don't know how you gents live in such dangerous territory

I'll take bears and skeeters thank you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have spent the last few years working up a resistance to iocane powder...

I guess it's possible with snake venom.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Groups like the AMA, etc. now recommend you don't use those snake bite kits. Instead, get thee to a doctor pronto. Their reasoning is that people have done more damage to themselves using the kits than the venom will do. Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal about it. SNAKE BITE KIT

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. 1000 people can be saved by seat belts but the one you hear about is the guy who is saved because he didn't wear one. The same likely applies to snake bit kits.

I studied up on this a bit when a friend got bitten by a rattler under his beach house in Gulf Shores...he had a toxic reaction to the antivenin, went into heart failure and spent a week in hospital and another month wearing a heart monitor.

they told him next time....it's gonna be like the old cowboy joke.."you're gonna die". He may have some immunity to the venom now, but another shot of anitvenin will kill him deader than Caesar.

The snake doctor said those kits are at best ineffective and may make things worse. Ice and antivenin is the trick to minimize tissue damage.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK I'm spraying the house down with Raid.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Randy, we live here because snakes and spiders won't eat you after they've bitten you. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rattler
easterns are nasty ones to get bit by, alot of neurotoxin in the venom...

I think that pit viper venom is more cytotoxic and hemotoxic....they require a different antivenom than
coral snakes which have a neruotoxic venom.....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Most venomous snakes in the US are vipers with predominately hemotoxic venom and hinged fangs.
We do have several types of coral snakes in North America that are elapids (same Family as the cobras, kraits, mambas). They have predominately neurotoxic venom and fixed fangs. They are not seen as often as the vipers, but getting bitten by one is a very serious medical problem.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i hate it when i have to step away during these kinds of threads, wife had surgery today, minor surgery, same as cataract surgery but she doesnt have cataracts, she is fine this was the option when your eyes are to bad for Lasik....

anyways....clearing up some confusion since i left grin

on what snakes have what kind of venom its rare to find a snake with just one type of venom, most have a highly complex cocktail of the different types, the primary ones with mainly neurotoxin, or a significant portion of neuro in the US are coral snakes, mohave greens, the southern pacific complex and eastern diamondback.....a sure sign the snake that bit yah is a eastern diamondback bit yah is the facial hairs start doing a rhythmic circular pulsing because of the neurotoxin component and temporary limb paralysis is common....

back to the shocking, i would say if your within 3 hours of help in the US DO NOT do it, cause one thing for sure its likely to send your pulse racing and that alone is reason enough not to do it....its gonna spread the venom faster....

on the dog "vaccine" UtahLefty and i have discussed this heavily case for one he is a vet and for 2 he is interested in reptiles.....the vaccine as it is given out now works best with small breeds.....if yah got a large hunting dog it has limited effectiveness if you follow the current recommended dosing, HOWEVER if you can find a vet that truly understands whats going on in the whole process you can make it much more effective for larger dogs but giving them more shots than is recommended....

unfortunately the way its done at the moment its set up for the safety of the smaller dogs which means the bigger dogs dont get a large enough dose to make it extremely effective, and this is why some people are saying its not very effective....find a vet that understands what the "vaccine" is actually doing and shell out for about twice the number of shots as is recommended and it will be very effective for larger dogs....esentially your doing the same thing to a dog that Bill Hasst did to himself....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh forgot one other fact, up to 1/3 of pit viper bites are "dry bites" that do not inject venom, venom is "expensive" to produce, very energy demanding so if a snake thinks it can get away with it it wont inject in alot of defensive bites.....this further adds complications when saying the electric shock works.....if everyone does it immediately after rattler bites 1/3 of the people that dont know any better are gonna say it works when they got no venom to start with....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
oh forgot one other fact, up to 1/3 of pit viper bites are "dry bites" that do not inject venom, venom is "expensive" to produce, very energy demanding so if a snake thinks it can get away with it it wont inject in alot of defensive bites.....this further adds complications when saying the electric shock works.....if everyone does it immediately after rattler bites 1/3 of the people that dont know any better are gonna say it works when they got no venom to start with....

Damn it. Don't tell people that. I was just gonna sell them snake oil to wipe on a bite. I would tell them it works 2/3's of the time on snake bites.

As "Rattler" said most snake bites are dry. What you really have to worry about is infection. Snakes carry all kinds of crap in there mouth and two deep puncture wounds are hard to irrigate.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have seen studies that showed that some snakebites are dry, but I don't think I have ever seen anything that showed that "most" snakebites are dry.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have seen studies that showed that some snakebites are dry, but I don't think I have ever seen anything that showed that "most" snakebites are dry.

they figure bout 1/3 of pit viper bites in the US are dry.....but it is pretty species dependent....never heard of a dry black mamba bite crazy would think as pissy as cottonmouths are dry bites might be a bit more unlikely with them....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wish it was higher than 1/3, but that is still higher than I would have thought. It wouldn't surprise me if most of those bitten by pit vipers in the US were messing with the snake to start with. That probably skews the number towards the high side of those that got a dose of venom. If people would just leave them alone or go ahead and kill the buggers if they are in an area where they might endanger someone and then leave them alone, there would likely be a lot less people bitten by snakes. Too many "hold my beer and watch this" moments for the good of the people as well as the snake.

Harry
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

was thinking the same thing. Much rather deal with a bear than a snake. Love AK..

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
easterns are nasty ones to get bit by, alot of neurotoxin in the venom......however that snake bite kit likely did lil and he actually received a minor bite that didnt inject much venom....think about it, put one of those on your arm after getting a shot at the docs office and its not gonna pull much of anything out....all a rattlesnake fang is, is a hypodermic needle....at most you will get a couple drops out and thats not gonna affect the outcome one bit.....

rattler,

you're not entirely correct. My dad has the same kit and has had it for years. they come with a razor so you can open the wound to get better suction. Take a look at the picture of his leg, notice one of the bite marks is slit open.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The problem with these "kits" is that at best they only get get a very small percentage of the venom out. The 5-10 minutes wasted in an effort to remove an insignificant amount of venom would ne better spent getting to a hospital faster.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There seems to be controversy within the medical profession on how to treat a snake bite in the field. Some years ago I took a first aid course designed for hunters. When dealing with snake bites the instructor advised to do nothing. He contended the extractors did more harm than good. Ice while it may slow down the spread of venom will eventually allow a massive dose to hit critical organs. A loose tourniquet was the only suggested field treatment. I once had a number of friends from Peru that swore by using a car battery to shock victims of deadly snake bites in the jungle. My understanding is that the method is still being used today. Yet, all our medical experts contends there is no benefit from electric shock.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a crap load of cottonmouths were I hunt, and I hate em all. I NEVER EVER go into the woods/swamp without a gun(s) of some sort and knee high boots. We have rattle snakes (2 kinds), copperheads, diamondbacks (rare) and coral snakes (rare). I do believe some of those nasty no shoulders are protected too. HA!

I also read this: Pit vipers generally inject large amounts of venom into hunting bites, but often little or no venom into defensive bites. In fact, up to 25% of pit viper bites in humans are non-venomous "dry bites". A provoked and angered snake, however, might not only "load up" to be quite venomous, but may also strike several times!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mossbergman
easterns are nasty ones to get bit by, alot of neurotoxin in the venom......however that snake bite kit likely did lil and he actually received a minor bite that didnt inject much venom....think about it, put one of those on your arm after getting a shot at the docs office and its not gonna pull much of anything out....all a rattlesnake fang is, is a hypodermic needle....at most you will get a couple drops out and thats not gonna affect the outcome one bit.....

rattler,

you're not entirely correct. My dad has the same kit and has had it for years. they come with a razor so you can open the wound to get better suction. Take a look at the picture of his leg, notice one of the bite marks is slit open.

far more damage has been done with those kits than good over the years.....in the time it takes you to dig out the kit and work up the nerve to cut yourself the venom has traveled a fair ways away from the bite.....you will not get much out....chances are the guy recieved lil venom in the bite and it only appears that the kit worked....guarentee you it didnt pull chit out for venom.....

ever get a shot of morphine or such in the arse at a hospital? its taking affect in minutes.....thats how fast chit moves in a intramuscular injection.....now granted venom molecules are a bit bigger than morphine alkaloids but its still gonna be a fair way away from the bite within the time it takes to dig the kit out.....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,036
Posts18,481,953
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.