Hop To
Page 43 of 58 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 57 58
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Boxer

rost',

Jeezus [bleep]...give it a break toots. First you felt compelled to come clean that you were [bleep] utterly clueless for the 20yrs you thought you shot and now you wanna drive that home,by citing you ain't shot in a decade since. That ain't hardly [bleep] fair,to unleash that much oblivious humor in one [bleep] Thread. Laffin'!

Lemme be clear again,everyone understands your glaring ineptitude and you really needn't pinpoint your dumbfhukktirtude again. That being said,here's to the sanctity of your being powerless in that refrain.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

"Glaring ineptitude"? That coming from a slope-headed dwarf, talking to someone who's been awarded a President's Hundred tab

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A good test would be the ability to load each round to a given FPS.

And then fire them at a given distance, say 1000 yards as thats about where things start to have to be really particular.

And see if there would be any noticeable differences in vertical impact.

And then compare that to being in the middle of best harmonics.

The distances that I've done a lot of my testing at is 600 yards. I have that bench at home set up to roll so its easy.

What has amazed me over the years was that as I"ve noted, sometimes while running a chrono all the time(before I decided what worked best for my uses) was that you could see a very low ES/SD of a 10 shot group and go down and it was ok but nothign more. Then you would get a ho hum one with ES/SD but go down and see a really snug group.
So much amazing that you'd think... it can't be. Go back and shoot it again, and well, dang if it wasn't repeatable. Both ES/SD figures to an extent and the group size. Both ways.

I should also say that I have not shot beyond 1000, save for a few chunks at a few yotes over the years, but no paper testing, and I don't shoot at game beyond or at targets beyond.

So there may very well be a different need when you approach longer distances. And once you have transitioned from super to sub sonic.

Probably something to learn from the BPCR guys would be my guess on mile long shots and beyond.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
I should also say that I have not shot beyond 1000, save for a few chunks at a few yotes over the years, but no paper testing, and I don't shoot at game beyond or at targets beyond.

So there may very well be a different need when you approach longer distances. And once you have transitioned from super to sub sonic.

Probably something to learn from the BPCR guys would be my guess on mile long shots and beyond.

If I were setting up a rig to shoot solely from 1000 and beyond, I would simply shoot the Audette at the appropriate range.

A minimum of 1000 and 1200 would be better is my guess

Rigs that I've shot 600 yard Audette development and taken to 1 mile seem to perform well enough for as few times as I will be using them at that range

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Since y'all are on the topic. Dissect this one for me done at 300 yards this afternoon, 308 varget 185 bergers. Gonna pick a few of these and shoot 5 shot groups at 300, which ones?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Picked the load in between 6 and 7 from this ladder test and shot a 300 yard f/class match Saturday with it. Shot a 448 out of 450. Here is target one. I think I'll stick with doing ladder test.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
oh what the heck, an F class match is for sissies.

Don't you shoot at rocks or beer boxes out in the woods, that means a lot more.....

LOL

Nice shooting BTW

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can you guys explain in detail how to do a ladder test?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
frown

smile

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

"Glaring ineptitude"? That coming from a slope-headed dwarf, talking to someone who's been awarded a President's Hundred tab

laugh laugh laugh

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Boxer-

Forgot about the dovetail. Thanks!

Carry on.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

For all you window lickers!

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
[Linked Image]

For all you window lickers!

I am a lot of things, But I am no a$$ kisser!

GFY

But thanks anyway!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't know ebonics, but I do know that a two-shot group don't mean squat.

Your right.
It dont.
So I did it a couple of more times. smile
Just checking. cool
Fired after a match with 90 plus rounds down the tube.
[Linked Image]

Same everything at 600 yards.
Both groups have to be alittle better than 1.5 inches
Came right off of my ladder test.
Chrono data showed a load with better SD/ES.
This load with slightly higher SD/ES is more accurate.
Dirty, clean and all day long.
Have a nice day smile

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There ya go. Paper proof that chrono is only part of the recipe.

ANd if you trust it only, you may well loose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont have a picture of the ladder test.
But I still have it and just dug it out and took a look.
Been awhile.
Did not even shoot this one over the chrono.
August 7 2011.
60.1,60.4,and 60.7 printed a nice 1 inch knot worth of vertical at 600 yards.
Text book ladder test and 60.4 just screams " shoot me ,shoot me"
If I do my part.
Dont trust Berger lot to different lot bullets.
Its one of the most consistent rifles on the line at Ridgway.
1500 + rounds and counting on the Obymeyer.
dave

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Obermeyer... always wanted one, never quite waited long enough.....

Probably still should get one before I die... maybe the next tube on the next project.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boots is still at it and you can get them from bugholes.com when in stock.
Not much point talking to him on the phone.
The outside of the barrel is for the most part, a high school shop project.
The inside, is pure gold.
At least in 30 cal they are.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Jason,

You've asked for "data" and such to prove the "science" of the Audette and harmonics. Where are the same questions about the other methods?

Where is the science that proves that every rifle with every bullet/powder combination will shoot its best on the lands with a charge of powder juuuuust under the point where pressure is found?

Rick,

I don't think anyone claimed that the load just below max pressure is always the most accurate. Some guys start there though. Plus, this thread is really about Ladders good, bad, or indifferent. Not other methods.

If my buds are up for it, we'll run some ladders this weekend with a 30-06, a 7RM, and maybe another 7RM. Two of the three rifles are proven shooters. The third is an unknown. All are hunting rifles, not match rigs. My role will be the devil, and they can do the laddering grin

So what ladder steps? 0.5gr?

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know. I've never shot one before.

grin

Try .3
Before you fire every shot, tell yourself it will be the best trigger squeeze you've ever had.
I "pretend" I'm dry-firing and want to hear a "click"

Shooting Audette ladders is also great practice

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to let them ladder. My job will be to get to an accurate load without. Hunting accuracy is the final goal... 8" steel at 500y (wind permitting). Just need to see if they are cool burning extra powder if we get crazy with the testing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495
A good test would be the ability to load each round to a given FPS.//Probably something to learn from the BPCR guys would be my guess on mile long shots and beyond.

Rost,

If I used your Audette method, afterwards, I'd have to send my barreled action to Gordy and have him screw the toasted one off and screw a new Krieger tube on! I'd be doing nothing but load development at known distances on paper and burning up barrels.

I'm also having a problem with higher SD/ES'ds shooting a tighter group than rounds that have the lower SD/ES'ds. What variable(s) do you believe cause(s) that anomaly. I shoot over an Oehler 3P, and I have never had that happen. Of course there is the necessary admission that I shoot a lot less than you, and maybe I just haven't shot enough rounds for it to occur yet.

Page 43 of 58 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 57 58

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmCreedmoor, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 8 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,393
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.