-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to shoot a dog in self defense once, but he was a Charpei/Pitbull cross and I waited until he came OUT of his yard, and more that 1/2 way across the street (Snarling, growling and snapping as he came) before I popped a cap.

I went to many homes and farms in my travels when I was working. Typically 3-6 homes per day. If a dog is protecting his turf from me OR a cop, he is doing his job and PERFECTLY. The correct response, and I have done this many times, is to call on the phone or with your voice into the house that they need to get their dog. Owners tie up or otherwise restrain thier dog, I go in. No problem, no blood, no heartaches and not ammo expended.

If I was in my car and I saw a potentially biting type of dog, and STAYED IN MY CAR and celled the owners by voice or cell phone. To get out of the car is an invitation to disaster. This Police officer used poor judgment, to a tragic end, at more than one level.

Our dogs will not let anyone in our home or the part of the yard they guard in the daylight hours unless we tell them it is OK for this person or that one to come in/through. And they make sure that you know, while you are coming up the walkway to our front door, that you are being watched with an eye towards chomping the ever livin hail outta you. This is their JOB here. To 1)alert us to strangers and 2) if stranger enter anyway to 'engage' them until we can get some bullets flying to end the fracus.

Last edited by safariman; 05/10/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"I went to many homes and farms in my travels when I was working. Typically 3-6 homes per day. If a dog is protecting his turf from me OR a cop, he is doing his job and PERFECTLY. The correct response, and I have done this many times, is to call on the phone or with your voice into the house that they need to get their dog. Owners tie up or otherwise restrain thier dog, I go in. No problem, no blood, no heartaches and not ammo expended."

Pretty much how it's done the overwhelming majority of the time. The difference between now and 50 yrs ago is instant media.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mac84
"I went to many homes and farms in my travels when I was working. Typically 3-6 homes per day. If a dog is protecting his turf from me OR a cop, he is doing his job and PERFECTLY. The correct response, and I have done this many times, is to call on the phone or with your voice into the house that they need to get their dog. Owners tie up or otherwise restrain thier dog, I go in. No problem, no blood, no heartaches and not ammo expended."

Pretty much how it's done the overwhelming majority of the time. The difference between now and 50 yrs ago is instant media.

Mostly, I agree with you. But, I also think that todays Police Recruits are different in their mentality and approach, and not for the better.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Any one who calls the cops and then is too dumb to chain up their dog should not be surprised if it gets shot.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Any one who calls the cops and then is too dumb to chain up their dog should not be surprised if it gets shot.
True. They KNOW the dog will do what he is supposed to do. Granted - the cop should have just called. It was not a situation that involved immediate danger. He could have just taken another 5 minutes. Bet he wished he HAD!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
After you've lied to us, it's hard to know what to believe from you.

Trust is earned.

Bluedreaux, you twist words around like a politician. Are you running for office?

Where in Texas are you employed as an LEO? I'd like to know so I can be on my best behavior if I travel there. Don't think I'd like to meet you. Your comments in this and some other threads have convinced me that you have earned my dis-trust.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep, people need to learn to just look the other way when an officer decides they want to shoot a dog or other animal for any reason.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman

Mostly, I agree with you. But, I also think that todays Police Recruits are different in their mentality and approach, and not for the better.

The only thing different between 50 years ago and today is cell phone videos have gotten everyone stirred up and doubting the word of the individual officer. It's why videoing police really should be banned.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

This is clearly the case of a cop getting special treatment that an ordinary citizen wouldn't.

Not the good kind of special treatment like free donuts and coffee, but it's certainly special.
BS. If a plumber showed up to the farm to fix a leak and shot the guy's dog under these circumstances, he'd be arrested same day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

This is clearly the case of a cop getting special treatment that an ordinary citizen wouldn't.

Not the good kind of special treatment like free donuts and coffee, but it's certainly special.
BS. If a plumber showed up to the farm to fix a leak and shot the guy's dog under these circumstances, he'd be arrested same day.

And the plumbers wouldn't have people picketing them. But the police only get arrested when enough people start whining around, pissin and moanin. Definitely not fair to the officers that they only get arrested when a bunch of malcontents start raising hell over something.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Trust is earned.

Bluedreaux, you twist words around like a politician. Are you running for office?

Where in Texas are you employed as an LEO? I'd like to know so I can be on my best behavior if I travel there. Don't think I'd like to meet you. Your comments in this and some other threads have convinced me that you have earned my dis-trust.

He just likes to hear himself talk.

Hunt smart, hunt safe
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by benchman
True. They KNOW the dog will do what he is supposed to do. Granted - the cop should have just called. It was not a situation that involved immediate danger. He could have just taken another 5 minutes. Bet he wished he HAD!

Yea, they know the dog will go up to strangers smiling and wagging its tail. Oh, I forgot, when one smiles it exposes one's teeth.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I had a paper route when I was a kid.

,..got dog bit several times,...never shot a dog.

,...woulda been bad for business.
Damn if that doesn't bring this problem into sharp focus. Cops don't give a crap about how the public (ostensibly their "customers") perceives them, because increasingly the public aren't actually their customers. The rulers of state are, and the rulers of state have a vested interest in a terrified, demoralized, and subjugated public.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by benchman

Just called? CALLED? Hahaha. What planet do you live on? And what kind of dope do you smoke there?

Could you imagine the chit talking that would go on if the story were that a cop CALLED instead of responding because there might be a dog??? Hahaha.

Some of you people live in a special kind of reality. But it is fun to read that's for sure.

As for this case, I don't know the specifics. Is there video or something? Everyone seems fairly certain this guy was in no danger at all.

For the record, I ain't never shot a dog on duty. Hope I don't have to. But I would if I felt it was gonna bite me. I have shot one dog in self defense prior to working as an LEO. In Ca. And when the Deputy arrived he wrote down my statement and personal info, called animal control to dispose of the dead animal. And left. I never heard another word. And that was inside city limits. So it happens.

Sometimes dogs get killed.

Last edited by pira114; 05/11/14. Reason: chuby fingers
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rovering

Trust is earned.

My use of 'our' in the aggregate sense for all American dog owners and our dogs that have and are being shot by you (again an aggregate or collective term) was / is in no way a lie.

I do not know how I could possibly 'write down' for your reading level, when a three letter word is too much for you.
He's a slippery character.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Damn if that doesn't bring this problem into sharp focus. Cops don't give a crap about how the public (ostensibly their "customers") perceives them, because increasingly the public aren't actually their customers. The rulers of state are, and the rulers of state have a vested interest in a terrified, demoralized, and subjugated public.

When I retire, I gotta meet you and get some of that dope you smoke. It's just GOTTA be awesome. And the conversation will be epic. You just know it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew some true colors would show

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I knew some true colors would show

Excellent argument. You win of course

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pira114

When I retire, I gotta meet you and get some of that dope you smoke. It's just GOTTA be awesome. And the conversation will be epic. You just know it.
The truth really burns you up, doesn't it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not hardly an argument. I just agree every day that goes by, the "system" sees the private citizens they are supposed to protect and serve as anything much above trash.

Many cops these days don't want to be bothered with the hassle of paperwork from a simple burglary and don't spend a nickel of expended energy to recover your stuff.

If the cop showed up to the house under the said conditions and shot the non-lethal dog in the back of the head, he should be strung up in the county fair grounds! He is a loser!

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/11/14.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 222ND, 47 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,236
Posts18,504,472
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.