Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hangunnr
What part of this statement didn't you understand?

"Tell that to the families of those hunters killed or injured because the shooter just knew he was shooting at a deer......."

CR

You get dummer with every posts. Still not getting "ones knows" the only way to know is to "identify" first.

Geez!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

"Tell that to the families of those hunters killed or injured because the shooter just knew he was shooting at a deer......."

CR

One more time and I am typing slow, if some one shot another for a deer then they did not "know" their target. That is very simple to understand. No where did I post "if you think it is a deer" get in the scope. No where was that even implied except by you.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Every year there are reports of accidental shootings because they just knew they were shooting at a deer. When the trigger is pulled they're sure they identified their target as a deer. What part of that eludes you?

CR

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Every year there are reports of accidental shootings because they just knew they were shooting at a deer. When the trigger is pulled they're sure they identified their target as a deer. What part of that eludes you?

CR

No "they just thought" that is obvious that they did not identify the target first. You keep missing this obvious point. The obvious eludes you again.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/17/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

CR

You get dummer with every posts. Still not getting "ones knows" the only way to know is to "identify" first.

Geez!

laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
So, what will your position be if and when it does happen?
CR

And the answer to your ? is.......
Originally Posted by jwall
..... I would NOT like being scoped nor 'ironed'...so I don't do it !!

Ain't gonna happen, " I DON'T DO IT"

You need reading COMPREHENSION therapy!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

CR

Geez!

laugh

Somebody gets it! laugh wink

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No one has advocated determining if it is a deer or not with the rifle scope, but once one has identified a deer, it is cool to get in the scope and prepare for a shot if it is viable.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
......or you could just use binoculars to look at things instead of pointing your rifle at them.
CR

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yep.
If you have time to fiddle with scope magnification, or watch the buck chase a doe for several minutes, you have time to use binos.

Okay fellas, I'm going to be nice.
I'll not say how your statements show your ignorance and inexperience at WT hunting in the South or any thicker vegetation. I'll not mention how little time we have MOST of the time in an encounter with a WT buck.

I'll not mention how it takes longer to focus binos than to TWIST the adjustment ring on a variable scope.

Oh! the horror of pointing a rifle at a deer "DURING" deer season!!

WT hunting in many places is quite different than goat hunting on the prairie.

Some things can only be learned thru experience with WT in typical WT habitat.

Please give me credit, I could have been much more critical.

I�ll give you credit for being a complete fugging idiot. I knew there must have been a reason I had you on ignore. Shouldn�t have toggled.

What makes you think I don�t hunt whitetail in the brush?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by battue
And if your own eyes made the decision for you?

I had to use binos on this guy due to him being out a bit and lighting.

[Linked Image]

I didn't on this guy, again due to distance-close-and lighting.

[Linked Image]

My beef is with those who say one must always use binos first.

All situations are different. But the OP said it was a question of legality. AND it seems that he would have had time to use binocs to make sure it was legal. Not criticizing and NEVER said that all hunters absolutely have to use their binoculars before they shoulder their rifle and shoot. That's absurd to the one hundert gazillionth degree.

Yep.

I don�t think anyone here said that binos needed to be used on all game.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I just went through my safes of guns and I did find a fixed power K-3 on my single shot 22. Other than that I don't own a fixed power scope. I am happy for all you 4x and 6X users, but I have plenty of power on some of my scopes and more power on all of the rest......

I can't remember when I OWNED/USED a fixed X scope. I DON'T own/use a fixed X even on a 22 rf. I have a 2-7 on my Mzldr. NOT ONE time have I ever felt I would have been better served with any fixed scope.

edited to add >>>Good Night, Catch up tomorrow!

Then how would you know that a variable is superior?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I've been using high powered variables for decades for the reasons mentioned. Different strokes I suppose.

I did get a kick out of the comment on time adjusting the mag. I leave my scopes on 6-8 power and can max them in about one second, usually while in the process of shouldering the rifle.

Different areas call for different tactics. Binos aren't needed here at home, I only carry them because I can see down lanes better during the last few mins of legal light. They will flat cost you a deer if you dick with them when a deer is present as you usually have about 3 seconds from first seeing a buck to never seeing him again. OTOH when I hunt in TX, CO, or WY, I use them all day long as it seems one may have minutes + to take the shot.

As far as judging deer in mere seconds, it's comes from lots of encounters over the years. It mostly boils down to the oh schit factor laugh

I�ve seen deer lost because people were dicking around adjusting their scope magnification when they should have been shooting. That is, multiple persons. People.

That being said, if a guy has time to adjust his scope magnification, he has time to transition from binos to his rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Ain't gonna happen, " I DON'T DO IT"

You need reading COMPREHENSION therapy!!

Try stamping your feet and typing a little louder, you just about have me convinced...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

No one has advocated determining if it is a deer or not with the rifle scope, but once one has identified a deer, it is cool to get in the scope and prepare for a shot if it is viable.

No arguments on that statement here, it's the people that are too lazy or can't figure out how to focus binocs that use their rifle scope to determine what they're looking at that I have issue with.

CR

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I can't remember when I OWNED/USED a fixed X scope. I DON'T own/use a fixed X even on a 22 rf.

Then how would you know that a variable is superior?

COMPREHENSION !!

I did not say "I've NEVER used a fixed X scope" !

I said I can't remember WHEN I did!!

I also did NOT say the variable scopes were "superior".
I feel they are better FOR ME !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

That being said, if a guy has time to adjust his scope magnification, he has time to transition from binos to his rifle.

As hard as it is for you to say, think, or accept, you are WRONG in that conjecture. Is your name 'Fonzy'?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What don�t you understand?

Trying to conduct a meaningful conversation about guns and hunting with you is like talking about particle physics with a retarded 6 year old. It�s just not worth the time and effort.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger

Many rifles that I buy have 3x-9x scopes on them and I sell those scopes cheap at gun shows.

I wish I knew when/where your shows are!!

The reason I prefer light weight rifles is that it allows room for a somewhat LARGER scope and still maintain reasonable weight overall.

I'd take a 2x - 7x over a 3x - 9x on almost any application unless I knew I'd be shooting at long distances or small targets in particular prairie dogs come to mind. If I needed 9x to hit a deer, I think I'd need to learn some hunting stalking skills.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, I think threads about good reasons to shoot an uber-magnum are much more useful.

Actually, check that. A thread about good reasons to drive an Uber-Avalanche would be more useful.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
......or you could just use binoculars to look at things instead of pointing your rifle at them.

CR

That was my first thought. I agree there isn't always time. But I have done well without high powered scopes for a long time......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 2muchgun; 12/17/14.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.