Home
I live in Cheeseheadland where we can still travel from place to place without the gestapo stopping you and asking for your paperz....

Your state have random DUI checkpoints? Whaddya think?
I think it could be argued that Wi is more free than a lot of states.
Yep, we have "road checks" pretty routinely throughout the warm months, and occasionally during the cold months.
If we do I've never been stopped by one in over 30 years.
Yup
We post them publicly BEFORE they are set up in our area. If you get caught by one, well then you are dumb enough and get what you deserve....
Driving on the highways is a privilege, not a right. I have no problem with them keeping drunks off of the road!

Mike
Originally Posted by BlackFrog

Not no,but HELL NO !!!
Texas haven't caved into MADD's agenda. Those checkpoints are UNCONSTITUTIONAL !!!
Implied Consent

Section 724.011 of the Texas State Transportation Code states that anyone who is arrested for Texas DWI "is deemed to have consented, subject to this chapter, to submit to the taking of one or more specimens of the person's breath or blood for analysis to determine the alcohol concentration or the presence in the person's body of a controlled substance, drug, dangerous drug, or other substance." Basically, whenever you stick your keys in your ignition and start your car, you are consenting to take an alcohol or drug test if a police officer deems it necessary.

What happens if you refuse? The police cannot make you take the test by force unless you have caused an accident that left someone else seriously injured or dead, but you will be found guilty of violating the "implied consent" section of the Transportation Code. You can still be charged for DWI even if you don't submit to a breath or blood test, and the state will try to prove your guilt through other means. However, in addition to potential Texas DWI conviction, you will also face the following penalties for refusing a chemical test: The officer will take your driver's license and issue you a temporary driving permit. On the 41st day after the arrest, your license will be suspended for 180 days unless you request a hearing first. If you have previously been arrested for DWI and refused to provide a specimen, the length of the administrative suspension jumps to 2 years.
yep. we have them. i got checked about 3 years ago and the cop noticed my drivers license had expired 6 months prior. he just handed it back and said get a new one tomorrow, which i did. my wife was killed by a reckless driver, so if checks will keep drunks/dopers off the road i am all for them.
Originally Posted by cotis
We post them publicly BEFORE they are set up in our area. If you get caught by one, well then you are dumb enough and get what you deserve....

I didn't say anything about getting caught. What happens to a person that pulls into the checkpoint and refuses to answer any questions?
My best and boyhood friend was killed by a drunk driver, and my 1st wife was badly injured by one. I have no use for drunks and don't object to checkpoints on occasions when there are a lot of drunks on the roads...holidays, after football games, near districts with a lot of nightclubs, etc.

Are checkpoints constitutional? I'm not so sure they are.
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

Not no,but HELL NO !!!
Texas haven't caved into MADD's agenda. Those checkpoints are UNCONSTITUTIONAL !!!

I thought they had immigration checkpoints in Texas?

Travis
Whaddya think?

I think stopping and questioning a person without probable cause is an infringement on their rights.

Travis

Originally Posted by luv2safari
My best and boyhood friend was killed by a drunk driver, and my 1st wife was badly injured by one. I have no use for drunks and don't object to checkpoints on occasions when there are a lot of drunks on the roads...holidays, after football games, near districts with a lot of nightclubs, etc.

Are checkpoints constitutional? I'm not so sure they are.

Same argument is made by the families of the victims of Sandy Hook.

Travis
Yup, we have them. I think they're BS as well

Live free or die.

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis
nnnnnnot quite the same...

Drunks have no 2nd Amendment. wink

I'm not sure one can give up the right to unreasonable searches, however, by being compelled to sign onto implied consent. I'm still a Mugwump on this issue.
Not here in Washington.

Got stopped at a bunch in GA.

I didn't say anything about getting caught. What happens to a person that pulls into the checkpoint and refuses to answer any questions?

Same thing here including announcing where they'll be. It's in the newspapers. It's roll down the window, trooper says, "Had anything to drink tonight?" Without reasonable suspicion it's, "Have a good evening." and you're on your way.

Statistically it's cut down on drunk driving, never heard anyone object to it.

You'll go to jail.

Make bail.

Go to court.

Case will be thrown out. But don't worry, it will only cost you about $5,000.00, a night or three in county (depending what day they decided you needed to be questioned for no reason) and enough stress to make your hair white.

But hey bro, if it saves one life...

Travis
Years ago here in Oregon there were all kinds of check stations. Openings of game and fish seasons, DUI, etc. Due to some court case they have all been eliminated.

Edited: I just remembered. Oregon is trying to slow the spread of water related invasive plants and critters. If one is towing a boat, he may at times have to pull off for a look at the bottom/bilge etc. If they find an issue they're equipped with a pressure washing system and some chemicals. Likely a lost cause over the long run, as no one is inspecting ducks, geese, otter, beaver etc.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
[quote=BlackFrog][quote=cotis]We post them publicly BEFORE they are set up in our area. If you get caught by one, well then you are dumb enough and get what you deserve....

Seems to help cut down on drunk driving, never heard anyone object to it.

Guys who drive drunk object. grin
Yup, we have em and i don't mind, only a dumbphuuck drives drunk or stoned.

Gunner
Last time I went into one was outside of Salinas, 1997.

Moving to Santa Cruz, driving a 24 ft. Ryder truck, around midnight. I rolled down the window and CHP officer asks, "Where you headed tonight?

"Santa Cruz.." I answered back.

With a laugh, cop asks, "How much dope you got in the back of that thing?

I thought it was pretty f�cking funny. And got a cool fridge magnet as a parting gift.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
my wife was killed by a reckless driver, so if checks will keep drunks/dopers off the road i am all for them.

My niece was in a coma for a month because of a stupid khhunt that didn't know what a red light meant.

Yet I still oppose the stopping of American citizens just so they can be questioned as to whether or not they know what the [bleep] a red light means.

Travis
Originally Posted by 1minute
Years ago here in Oregon there were all kinds of check stations. Openings of game and fish seasons, DUI, etc. Due to some court case they have all been eliminated.

Good.

Travis
Never been stopped. But say if you pass what's the prize?
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Never been stopped. But say if you pass what's the prize?

FREEDOM!!!!!laugh

Gunner
nnnnnnot quite the same...

Drunks have no 2nd Amendment. wink

I'm not sure one can give up the right to unreasonable searches, however, by being compelled to sign onto implied consent. I'm still a Mugwump on this issue.

Beg your pardon sir but the state has no [bleep] business stopping citizens without cause.

Travis
where roadblocks aren�t allowed (Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming),

http://www.duicheckpoints.net/areduicheckpointsunconstitutional.html
When you get your license, you give consent to be stopped, Trav.

I'm not sure a citizen can sign away a right. That was what I was saying.

Actually most say. "Yeah, you caught me" and plead guilty. For first offense at least. Night in jail before first appearance, around $500 plus attorney's fees, 30 days suspended on conditions including alcohol abuse school, no drinking/drugs possibly with daily testing paid for by the offender, no trouble with the law, possibly vehicle impound fees. Work permit usually granted. Pretty good slap on the head to get their attention.

That's the same argument I hear when people opine about a state telling a private business owner who can, and who cannot smoke tobacco in their building.

Does the state have the right to tell that business owner who can and cannot smoke in the building that business owner owns? No. They do not.

Does the state have the right to stop me and my family for no reason? In the name of "public safety?" [bleep] no they don't.

Travis

Actually most say. "Yeah, you caught me" and plead guilty. For first offense at least. Night in jail before first appearance, around $500 plus attorney's fees, 30 days suspended on conditions including alcohol abuse school, no drinking/drugs possibly with daily testing paid for by the offender, no trouble with the law, possibly vehicle impound fees. Work permit usually granted. Pretty good slap on the head to get their attention.

Bravo. Keep those checkpoints comin'. Might save one life.

Travis
YouTube has some interesting dui checkpoint refusal vids, which is what prompted the question.

I think it was Ben Franklin that said:

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

When you get your license, you give consent to be stopped, Trav.

I'm not sure a citizen can sign away a right. That was what I was saying.

I'm thinking you give consent to be stopped with PC. Meaning probable cause.

You do not give consent to be stopped for no reason. DUI checkpoints involve citizens being stopped without cause.

Travis
YouTube has some interesting dui checkpoint refusal vids, which is what prompted the question.

I think it was Ben Franklin that said:

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Looking forward to all the campfire members that will oppose the checkpoints in NY and CT when they try and locate all those "unregistered" firearms.

Travis
The 4th protects you against unreasonable searches and seizures. If you seize me without a reason, that is by definition....UN-reasonable.

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Driving on the highways is a privilege, not a right. I have no problem with them keeping drunks off of the road!

Mike

Goood, bless Amerrrica!

Laughin'....

Travis
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The 4th protects you against unreasonable searches and seizures. If you seize me without a reason, that is by definition....UN-reasonable.

Thanks Mav. I like you more by the day.

(Ass slap)

Travis

Maybe in S.D. But here, DWIs are a huge deal. A good DWI attorney in Austin will cost you $15,000. $20K if it was a DWI cop that arrested you.

And people are lined up to pay it.
Wonder how you folks who think being stopped and questioned for no apparent reason is OK would feel when they come knocking on your door asking if you have any guns.

....well someone's wife/daughter/friend was shot, so I'm all for getting those terrible guns of the street.....

Incrementalism creep isn't that far fetched. Just look at where we've come in the last 30 years. Just look at some of the new gun laws of the last year or two. Registration, bans.... little by little.
Originally Posted by deflave

Thanks Mav. I like you more by the day.

(Ass slap)

Travis

Good game...Good game....

Finding drunk drivers ain't rocket surgery. In fact, if you get off work at bar close time it's hard to make it back to the office without tripping over one. You can make plenty of DWI arrests without check points.
What part of this isn't understood? or is it OK because it will save a life or two?
Same folks that think reasonable 2nd Amendment regulation is OK, as long as it saves a child, and the hell with the US Construction.

Ben Franklin was correct!

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

effects
pl n
1. Also called: personal effects personal property or belongings

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/effects
Drunk driving check points is an exception, Supreme Court held it not unreasonable based on public safety/minimal intrusion. That's why they're quick and advertised. I believe some states have held otherwise.
It also said Obumfugcare is a constitutional "tax". smirk
Travis you are confusing rights with privileges!

I'm all for freedom.

Driving is not a Constitutionally protected "right" it is a privilege granted by the State government,which is elected by the people.

People have a duty to comply with the rules of the road in order to use them, that is part of the agreement when getting a license. If one doesn't want to be "checked" they can choose to not drive on the public roadways.

If the rules are to stringent then the people need to influence their representatives to change them. The same way MADD and other groups influence their Reps to toughen them.

Mike

How in the hell these checks and fish and game checks pass constitutional muster is beyond me. G&F checks are worse than the. DUI ones. What's the PC for the stop? You are driving a car? We have the DUI stops and I have driven through 2. They tag people for insurance violations more than DUI. Just show your 'papers' and you be on your way shortly.
People are happy to surrender "other people's" rights.

The dumb fuggers just ain't figgered it out yet.
Maybe in S.D. But here, DWIs are a huge deal. A good DWI attorney in Austin will cost you $15,000. $20K if it was a DWI cop that arrested you.

And people are lined up to pay it.

Send some of those rich drinkers up here and fast, we need them badly! Lots get court appointed here which might get you a little past break even.
Drunk driving check points is an exception, Supreme Court held it not unreasonable based on public safety/minimal intrusion. That's why they're quick and advertised. I believe some states have held otherwise.

Yeah. That same "court" is going to have the same opinion when NY and CT goes lookin' for all those guns they can't account for.

Travis

I'm all for freedom.

Driving is not a Constitutionally protected "right" it is a privilege granted by the State government,which is elected by the people.

People have a duty to comply with the rules of the road in order to use them, that is part of the agreement when getting a license. If one doesn't want to be "checked" they can choose to not drive on the public roadways.

If the rules are to stringent then the people need to influence their representatives to change them. The same way MADD and other groups influence their Reps to toughen them.

Mike

Here ya go read it again,

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Originally Posted by K1500
How in the hell these checks and fish and game checks pass constitutional muster...

They (probably) don't. SD gave up on them after somebody in MN challenged the stops and they were found unconstitutional, under the MN constitution IIRC. DUI checkpoints are pretty much unique.

I'm all for freedom.

Mike

Holy [bleep].

Travis
DUI checkpoints are pretty much unique.

Sort of. Some states have immigration checkpoints as well.

Travis
Give us more control now, we don't like freedom anyhow!
Outside of at/near the U. S. border where other rules have always applied don't think you can do that. Agricultural inspections at state borders is the only other exceptional case that comes to mind.
Skip to 4:30 in this one where it starts.

Mike
whatever we do to take drunk drivers off the road is fine with me....do you know anyone killed or seriously injured by someone driving drunk?

but some of dem boys are pretty good at coming up with "reasons"..
Not too long ago I was pulled over late at night, I had not been drinking but had long hair and a 5 liter mustang. After producing papers, he said may I search your vehicle?? I said no thank you, that isn't necessary, sir. He informed me that now my vehicle smelled like weed. How odd, I thought, as I sat on the curb while he and a buddy searched away..
The fourth took that night off.
Originally Posted by vapodog

Mike
whatever we do to take drunk drivers off the road is fine with me....do you know anyone killed or seriously injured by someone driving drunk?

Whatever we do to take guns off the street is fine with me...do you know anyone killed or seriously injured by someone using a firearm in an unlawful manner?
Originally Posted by 700LH

I'm all for freedom.

Mike

Here ya go read it again,

And it's not unreasonable to see if the driver is operating a vehicle while impaired.

Roadblocks are few and far between, they act as a deterrent because people assume after the Superbowl or at night on 4th of July the po-po is going to be out looking so they use a designated driver. So it worked!

Mike
As for all of the throwing in of gun talk, that's a whole different issue and I agree we shouldn't even be required to have a carry permit because RKBA is a protected, inalienable right.

Mike
By some of y'alls definition I shouldn't have to submit to a search to get on an airplane either! How much flying y'all going to do without haji getting a pat down?

Mike

And it's not unreasonable to see if the driver is operating a vehicle while impaired.

Roadblocks are few and far between, they act as a deterrent because people assume after the Superbowl or at night on 4th of July the po-po is going to be out looking so they use a designated driver. So it worked!

Mike

So in your opinion a police officer should be allowed to stop any vehicle he chooses, regardless of cause?

Travis
And another....
By some of y'alls definition I shouldn't have to submit to a search to get on an airplane either! How much flying y'all going to do without haji getting a pat down?

Mike

Actually, I do say that. My entering an agreement with an airline has nothing to do with the state. And I understand the public as a whole feels they need the state to keep them safe but I do not.

Travis

Mike

So in you opinion a police officer should be allowed to stop any vehicle he chooses, regardless of cause?

Travis

NO!! but at occasional roadblocks they can check all cars that pass through. Therefore no singling out, no stereotyping, no racial harassment.

Mike
Checkpoints are so foreign to me I can't even wrap my head around the idea of being ok with being stopped for no reason.

If we are going to call for strict adherence to the 2nd Amendment, then we need to hold to the same standard over ALL of our rights.

Drunk Drivers are idjits, and need to be properly addressed, but roadblocks fly in the face of the very foundations of a society that embraces Freedom.

Those that'd turn a blind eye in the name of safety, needn't beetch and moan when the gubbiment comes for our guns...As they've already let the fox into the henhouse.

Mike

Actually, I do say that. My entering an agreement with an airline has nothing to do with the state. And I understand the public as a whole feels they need the state to keep them safe but I do not.

Travis

The State collected the money from the people to build the roads, the people chose the state to build, maintain and regulate the use of the roads, the state does that by making rules for the use of the roads, you agree to those rules when you obtain a license to operate a vehicle on those roads.

Mike
Nope. Not allowed in the Alaska Republic.
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
Checkpoints are so foreign to me I can't even wrap my head around the idea of being ok with being stopped for no reason.

Have you ever driven on a toll road?

Did you get offended by having to pay a tax to drive on a road your tax money built?

Mike

NO!! but at occasional roadblocks they can check all cars that pass through. Therefore no singling out, no stereotyping, no racial harassment.

Mike

So you feel the police have the right to stop every citizen they encounter when searching for specific violators?

Travis

Did you get offended by having to pay a tax to drive on a road your tax money built?

Mike

Are you schitfaced right now?

Honest question.

Travis

The State collected the money from the people to build the roads, the people chose the state to build, maintain and regulate the use of the roads, the state does that by making rules for the use of the roads, you agree to those rules when you obtain a license to operate a vehicle on those roads.

Mike

Ok. So you agree that since the state funded the road and the citizen acquired a license, the state has a right to stop anybody on that road, and with that license, without cause?

Travis
Yes and in Georgia they check for license and insurance which every driver is required to have and if they smell alcohol, marijuana or the driver appears impaired they will proceed to investigate further if none of those signs appear you pass on in about 20 seconds.

Mike
Skip to 4:30 in this one where it starts.

Sparks NV police are scumbags for the most part, and they have been for the 66 years I've lived near them. Reno police are the polar opposite...professional and knowledgeable. There were also many of us instrumental in seeing to the defeat of a little Napoleon justice court Judge in Sparks, Judge Stone. He was just as discourteous to those before him as these jerks behind Sparks badges. It was, and it still is all about money and fines in Sparks Nevada.

Enjoy Reno, and stay the h@ll out of Sparks! (Click on the Green Insert near the end)

Mike

Are you schitfaced right now?

Honest question.

Travis

No I don't drink.

My point was it was such a foreign concept to be forced to stop that I was wondering how he felt about not only being forced to stop but to be shook down for a few quarters as well. How shocked he must have been if he had! probably suffers from PTSD over it.

Mike

Not no,but HELL NO !!!

I thought they had immigration checkpoints in Texas?

Travis

They did have them four years ago. Wife and I got checked just south of Uvalde. Was no big thing. Looked in the window of the truck and asked if were were born in the US. No ID check and the whole thing took about twenty seconds.

We have had the immigration checks set up about five miles of m home. Took twenty some illegals with felony warrents off the road in an hour.
I've never drove through a toll as a resident of the state but I don't get what that has to do with violating the
4th?

No I don't drink.

Perhaps you should.

Travis
Colorado has thaem. I have never been stopped, but usually am in bed by 8. I do not drive drunk, carry insurance, but also have been known to carry guns and ammo. And if they keep lowering the threshhold, someday even having had a wine the day before will put you over. I know some people who have been, it is very inconvenient to have to wait in line to be checked. I dod once get stopped in a jail escape roadblock, searching every car, don't know if they found him.

I am not even sure about the driving being a privelege, maybe we should just have to have "papers please" for any and all travel by any mode.

I have had a "DAMM" sticker on my truck. Drunks against Mad Mothers.
Yes and in Georgia they check for license and insurance which every driver is required to have and if they smell alcohol, marijuana or the driver appears impaired they will proceed to investigate further if none of those signs appear you pass on in about 20 seconds.

Mike

Are you folks that can't figure out how President Obama won two elections starting to see the big picture?

My work here is done.

Iceman
To answer the OP, no we don't in Washington. You know, the state that is nothing but pot smokers, liberals and queers.
So what happens at a checkpoint if you answer that you have had a few beers but you are showing no signs of being intoxicated?

So what happens at a checkpoint if you answer that you have had a few beers but you are showing no signs of being intoxicated?

I'm guessing your night just got real interesting....
Those field sobriety tests are designed for you to fail.
Even sober, a large percentage of people fail them.
Originally Posted by Scott F

We have had the immigration checks set up about five miles of m home. Took twenty some illegals with felony warrents off the road in an hour.

Dang Canadians.
Probably will be asked how many exactly and how long ago and as long as you don't look go sound drunk they will let you go.

If they think you are above the limit allowed to drive on the roadways they will likely have you pull over to the side and ask you to submit to field sobriety tests.

If they determine you are impaired they will take you to an intox and have you tested.

Mike

I'm guessing your night just got real interesting....
Those field sobriety tests are designed for you to fail.
Even sober, a large percentage of people fail them.

I don't think so!

Have you ever tried doing them they are pretty simple.

Mike

Dang Canadians.
grin

I don't think they crossed illegally from our northern border.
As many trial lawyers as there are out there you know everything that officers do to make their case has been hashed, parsed and rehashed by the Courts.

Mike

Dang Canadians.

Yep...they need to be outlawed. smirk whistle

Dang Canadians.
grin

I don't think they crossed illegally from our northern border.

You're profilin. And profilin is wrooooooong.
"Exactly how many.....", and if you even hesitate an instant or say a generic answer of "three or four beers" (which may be very true), odds are it goes right to: "We're going to need you to step out of the car....."
Very possible I'm sure. More often then not a drunk will say 2 every time so by being honest at 3-4 you probably stand a better chance and if not exhibiting signs of impairment probably let you go. Depending on the metabolizing of the alcohol 3 would have you around .06 which in GA is officers discretion to arrest if they feel you are impaired, .08 and higher is DUI no matter if you drink that every day and look sober as a judge!

Mike

It's always funny to watch a defendant's face in court the first time they see the video of themselves drunk after they've rationalized to themselves and their family that they weren't drunk driving.

Mike
Knock, knock...
"Do you own any high capacity magazines or assault weapons? We are just doing a local check for the neighborhood's safety........"

If people are fine with these nazi style checkpoints, this wouldn't be that far of a leap.

South Dakota has them and it pizzes me off every time they advertise them.

I feel they are unconstitutional.

If they advertise them, I would think some smart tech person wound have an app for your phone that keeps track of advertised checkpoints....

Yup, jus looked. Several dui checkpoint apps for your phone!!
Nope

Yeah, this seems about as American as warrant-less searches and being groped by TSA agents...

Oh....Wait....
Here in the state of Queensland not only do they regularly have stops but they have a "jail bus" parked right there to take care of you.
Speaking of jail buses....

A friend at work lived in Louisiana and drove across the border to work everyday. Texas didn't have checkpoints, but Louisiana did. That's what they discovered anyway about ten minutes after lighting up a fattie on the way home from work.

Friend and his brother (they rode together) wound up on the jail bus, headed to jail. That's about when confessed (real quiet like) that after taking a bet from his girlfriend, he had worn her frilly panties to work that day..... Can't show up in jail like that, so he had to reach down the back of his pants and pulled until they ripped. He stuffed them in the seat cushion and thought he was home free.

But after they were unloaded the deputies did a search of the bus and found the dismantled unmentionables and paraded them around the parking lot. Nobody fessed up to having them, but he got busted during the strip search when he was going commando.

Mike

Not aimed at you in particular Mike...

but I have to admit, when I hear that something is a privilege, not a right.... It drives me nuts...

we as citizens have to be given permission by 'the state' to be able to drive on the highways, we as taxpayers pay for???
its not our right?

that means we have NO rights unless the state approves each one?

I refrain from giving my opinion on that subject, but I am sure it is not hard to guess what it is....

the government exists to serve the public, not the public exists to serve them....
on a lighter note...

They have them in Canada...

So Archie and Reggie had been over to the next town hitting the strip joint and pounding them down in true Canadian fashion...

our pair of Newfie, are on the way home, when they come across the top of the hill, and down a mile ahead, they see an RCMP Checkpoint...

Archie pulls over because Reggie is freaking out....

"oh, Jesus eh? I know we are going to end up in Jail tonight, eh?"

"hold your horses Reg.... Jesus eh?....dis ain't no big deal... just do what I do, eh?"

So he gets out of his little Datsun pickup, and takes a pair of beer bottles rolling around in the back bed and peals the labels off of two of them...he gets back in the cab, and hands one to Reg

He takes off his hat, wets the label with his lips and sticks it to his forehead and tells Reg to do the same...which Reg does...

" now when we get down there Reg, let me do the talkin' eh?"

pull off and stopping, they caught the officers attention, but then the Mounties see the little truck coming down the hill toward them...

as they pull up, Archie stops the truck...

"Good evening sirs, how can I help you, eh?"

"have you boys been out drinking tonight?' asks the Mountie, smelling beer all over them....

"No sir! Not at all, eh?"

"Would you gentlemen please get out of the truck please?" asks the Mountie....

"Sure no problem sir" says Archie as he and Reggie get out of the truck.....

" you sure you boys haven't been out drinking tonight?? It sure smells like ya have, eh?"

"NO Sir!" says Archie taking off his head, and signalling Reggie to do the same...

He points to the label on his forehead..." No sir Officer, me and Reggie gave up drinking.... We're on the PATCH eh?"
SHEEEEYOTTT

we have the "no refusal" blood draw dui roadblocks

Now, it seems our state legislature is ***somewhat *** intervening because now, there are other agencies (some federal) like NHTSA that want sample random motorists- any motorists at quick improvised checkstops to gather "study data" for unrelated tests, surveys, epidemiological mapping, and God knows what else. And they want to be able to this without even local law enforcement overseeing it.

There's instances of a driver refusing, leaving the roadblock and being chased down, forced off the roadway and then apprehended and subdued while dna samples have been taken.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/09/tennessee-rolls-out-no-refusal-blood.html?m=1

And this:

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/federal-contractors-nhtsa-dna-roadblocks/

I just read the first 35 posts but I'm AMAZED at the folks that use the same argument for checkpoints being ok as libs do for taking guns, and don't see a problem with it.

A WHOLE bunch of [bleep] 'conservatives' on this board. No wonder this country is so screwed, one needs to look no further than this thread.

[bleep] AMAZING
Check points are like high fence hunting.

Never had a problem doing 'police work' and actually finding DUI's.

That whole "patrol and observe" thing.

Amazing.

Mike

Whatever we do to take guns off the street is fine with me...do you know anyone killed or seriously injured by someone using a firearm in an unlawful manner?
with reasoning like this, you belong in congress.
We don't need them. We live on the Canadian border. If you live within 25 miles of the border, thanks to the "patriot act" you don't have many rights. Every so often we come upon a roadblock, Border Patrol, state police, dogs, the whole nine yards. Supposedly they're looking for terrorists, but all they ever get are DUI's and Indians running pot downstate from the rez.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Mike

Not aimed at you in particular Mike...

but I have to admit, when I hear that something is a privilege, not a right.... It drives me nuts...

we as citizens have to be given permission by 'the state' to be able to drive on the highways, we as taxpayers pay for???
its not our right?

that means we have NO rights unless the state approves each one?

I refrain from giving my opinion on that subject, but I am sure it is not hard to guess what it is....

the government exists to serve the public, not the public exists to serve them....

pphuckkinn A...
One may not want to say to checkpoint officer immediately, however, if or when the situation becomes unbearable, one may wish to remind said officer of Sec. 1983. Civil rights violation. Cop may be sued as an individual , etc, etc. Rodney King comes to mind.
In my opinion all checkpoints are illegal. I will not abide them.
DUI random stops, yes. We also have random drug interdiction stops.
Year or so back, I was driving up US441 to see my mechanic. Way out in the distance, I saw a huge display of flashing lights. Curious, I drove past the entrance to my wrench turner's place, to see what the heck that was all about.
Passed a temporary sign in the median that said "random drug search ahead. Be prepared to stop"
Knowing I had no drugs in the car, and my curiosity being satisfied, I made a turn in the paved area of the median, and drove on back to the shop.
As I pulled into the mechanics, a Alachua County car pulled in behind me. He did the whole stop and frisk thing, while my buddies laughed their azzes off watching.
He wanted to search the car. I told him I would allow it if he produced a warrant.
Another Sheriff's car pulled up, and this guy was even nastier. Had me against my old 4Runner, hands on the vehicle. He yelled and hollered that he WOULD get a warrant. It might take hours though.
I told him that I was retired, with nothing planned for the day, so go ahead and get one.
Finally, they relented, and let me go. What a bunch of goonie birds. [bleep] 'em.
damn. Rick his tweaked his F word filter AGAIN. shocked

Not no,but HELL NO !!!
Bullschidt! Don't even go there Bart. Don't drive drunk and you don't have anything to worry about. I lost a girlfriend to a drunk driver a while back, so I've got no sympathy to this end. The azzhole hit my girl's Charger so hard his engine was sitting in what had been the passenger's seat. Of course he walked away without injury.
Yes
They do checkpoints here, they also ride your bumper with their high beams glaring in your mirrors till you cross the line and pull you over for crossing the yellow line, probable cause you know. They don't even ask for your license and registration first, run right up there with the breathalizer and tell you to blow in it. DUI is big business in Pa.
Sorry about your girlfriend.

Doesn't change a damn thing about unwarranted searches.

I'd say people amaze me.......but I can't.
As many trial lawyers as there are out there you know everything that officers do to make their case has been hashed, parsed and rehashed by the Courts.

Mike

and yet, despite all that hashing, parsing and rehashing, the damn cops STILL persist in violating Citizens's rights. shocked
They are unconstitutional.

Check
Blackstone's Formulation
:
It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer

The presumption of innocence is the principle that one is considered innocent until proven guilty. Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments.

A DUI check point assumes every one who passes thru is guilty as evidenced by being stopped with out suspicion.
It does take integrity to enforce this concept though. Short found in our present government.
I am not an attorney but to me they seem unconstitutional. So it begs the question, why hasn't this been challenged in the courts?
We have them aplenty in Virginia
Originally Posted by Pat85
They do checkpoints here, they also ride your bumper with their high beams glaring in your mirrors till you cross the line and pull you over for crossing the yellow line, probable cause you know. They don't even ask for your license and registration first, run right up there with the breathalizer and tell you to blow in it. DUI is big business in Pa.

slam on your brakes next time.
Officer, there was a possum in the road.
Originally Posted by RWE
Check points are like high fence hunting.

Never had a problem doing 'police work' and actually finding DUI's.

That whole "patrol and observe" thing.

Amazing.

Where I work, the officers just try to not get hit by DUI's.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I am not an attorney but to me they seem unconstitutional. So it begs the question, why hasn't this been challenged in the courts?

I can only speak to immigration checkpoints but basically the courts have deemed them Constitutional due to the "proximity of the border."

Most DUI arrests that involve checkpoints are hanging by a thread. I have been told if you plead not guilty that most of the prosecutors will throw the case out.

Travis
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I just read the first 35 posts but I'm AMAZED at the folks that use the same argument for checkpoints being ok as libs do for taking guns, and don't see a problem with it.

A WHOLE bunch of [bleep] 'conservatives' on this board. No wonder this country is so screwed, one needs to look no further than this thread.

[bleep] AMAZING

Stunning.

Travis
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Bullschidt! Don't even go there Bart. Don't drive drunk and you don't have anything to worry about. I lost a girlfriend to a drunk driver a while back, so I've got no sympathy to this end. The azzhole hit my girl's Charger so hard his engine was sitting in what had been the passenger's seat. Of course he walked away without injury.

Sorry you lost your girlfriend but she has nothing to do with my Constitutional rights.

And the argument you present is the same argument the president has had the families of the victims of Sandy Hook exclaim on every morning show in America.

Travis
I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers.
A friend's daughter was killed in a horrible accident caused by a drunk, that funeral sticks with me to this day.

I was t-boned late one night by a drunk doing over 60mph, the impact was right behind my seat, in the extended cab portion of my Chevy, the tremendous impact flipped my pickup upside down on the highway smashing all of the windows as the roof collapsed inward, I can remember the sound of change, and CD's raining down on me as everything dumped out of the console as the pickup rolled over.
I immediately turned off the key to avoid a fire or explosion as gasoline was leaking into the cab due to ruptured fuel lines.
I was able to unbuckle my seatbelt as I was upside-down and flopped onto the ceiling which was now the floor, I managed to crawl out the broken driver's window to exit the truck and race to the passenger side to try to rescue my wife who was stuck, and hanging upside down by her seat belt.
I crawled into her broken window, glass cutting my knees as I tried to unbuckle her belt and as I did, I could smell the pungent odor of gasoline and was panicked at the thought of fire.
I was able to find the button, pressed it and my bloodied wife, fell on top of me as she came free of the seatbelt.
We escaped and stood there in the dark on the side of the highway, our dress clothes covered in blood, completely in shock as bystanders assisted the uninjured drunk that blew the stop sign and nearly killed both of us.
We both ended up with deep bruises and minor lacerations that were treated with sutures, but were very thankful to escape with our lives.

Nope, not a shred of sympathy for drunk drivers here... mad
We do fake drug checkpoints on I10 every once in a while. They're great fun.
Don't drive drunk and you don't have anything to worry about.

Sorry about your girlfriend, but the road to tyranny is paved with sentiments like this.
Little by little, step by step, keep walking....
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Do you honestly believe anybody on here is defending drunk drivers?

Travis
Whaddya think?

I think stopping and questioning a person without probable cause is an infringement on their rights.

Travis

^^^^

This

I understand the rationale posted by those who have been deeply affected by drunk drivers, but theres a slew of other things like checkpoints we aren't allowed to do because of constitutional rights. This is selective violation, like it or not.

How about if Colorado decided to put up check points looking for high cap magazines built after a certain date?

How about if we put up checkpoints here in our anti-meth program and let my dog sniff the inside and out of your car looking for the stuff? ( it can be easily considered a derivation of the 'plain sight' rule officers go by)

And so forth�.

This subject is a real and tragic sticky wicket�if I had a good solution, I'd offer it up.
Therein lies the constant constitutional struggle. Where one persons rights begin is where others end.
and there are a lot of folks that are more than willing to bend the Constitution, to fit their personal agenda.
Realize that in this case YOU (people who agree with these checkpoints) may be ok giving up your civil liberties in trade for some feeling of safety, but soon enough other people will be ok giving up some liberties that you don't agree with at all.

People who want to pick and choose which liberties they feel it is ok to give up for "safety's sake" have no grounds to bitch when they come to take away some liberties you hold dear down the line..... The slippery slope starts sliding real fast.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and there are a lot of folks that are more than willing to bend the Constitution, to fit their personal agenda.

No...everybody.
Only drunks object to check points
Only dopers object to blood tests
The next logical argument is , "Only criminals/killers are against gun control.
We better all wake up and do some serious thinking on just how "safe" we want to perceive us to be, cause we aren't just sliding down a slippery slope anymore. We're down hill skiing, and we beat 99mph in 2008.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
We do fake drug checkpoints on I10 every once in a while. They're great fun.

Years ago, I was headed back to school in Athens GA. I stopped and grabbed a 6'er when I gassed up and put it in the back seat.

I got within a mile or two of my exit on 316 and figured, WTH, I'm almost there and reached back and cracked one open.

As I took a long pull of the cold beer, I see a sign up ahead advertising drug searches, K9 dogs, and other things I wanted no part of.

No sooner than passing the sign is a nice big turn off on a dirt road that looks good so I turn on the blinker and plan on dumping the rest of my beer and hiding the bottle.

Bout the time I made the turn I crested a little knoll and low and behold, there sat half the Clark County/Athens police complete with tow rigs and paddy wagon.

It was a setup. The only search was down the side road that was so convienently available right past the big ol sign advertising the phantom K9 search.

I fessed up to officer fatazz, who promptly threw the empty I handed him in the woods, and then he wrote me a ticket for open container and I was on my way.

Turned out a hippy band was having a big concert that week in town and they nailed the chit out of a bunch of kids with a pocket full of joints.

I had to laugh. It was pretty clever.

Do you honestly believe anybody on here is defending drunk drivers?

Travis

No Travis, I don't.

Living in California I can truly understand why so many despise governmental intrusion and legislative strangulation and fully respect that.

Most of these checkpoints are basically fishing expeditions, where the officers are searching for any possible infraction of the law and I can understand a person's disdain for such.

I do however tend to agree that unlike our constitutionally protected rights that driving is indeed a privilege, revocable through displays of recklessness and stupidity.

I'm only relaying my life experiences while on the topic of DUI.
I only hope you and others here at the fire never experience a life changing event that might alter your opinions.

That's exactly what we do. Lots of signs cautioning to watch for K-9's, and lights that can be seen miles ahead. There is a convenient exit and a road to nowhere available. The only difference, I suppose, is that we always get kilos of cocaine and bales of weed.
I think it could be argued that Wi is more free than a lot of states.

Just not argued very well.

I do however tend to agree thtunlike our constitutionally protected rights that driving is indeed a privilege, revocable through displays of recklessness and stupidity.

I'm only relaying my life experiences while on the topic of DUI.
I only hope you and others here at the fire never experience a life changing event that might alter your opinions.

You assume my family didn't have any such experience.

And while driving is a privilege, a citizen's expectation of privacy and to not be stopped without cause is no freakin' privilege.

Travis
Originally Posted by 1minute

Same thing in MN. They used to have them. DUI, and checks on the highway during deer season. They've all been eliminated now, except.... if you're towing a boat. They can pull your ass over to a check point and look for seaweed on your friggin trailer. GMAFB.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
my wife was killed by a reckless driver, so if checks will keep drunks/dopers off the road i am all for them.

My niece was in a coma for a month because of a stupid khhunt that didn't know what a red light meant.

Yet I still oppose the stopping of American citizens just so they can be questioned as to whether or not they know what the [bleep] a red light means.

Travis

1/2 of my nieces and nephew's were killed by an ass clown UPS worker that had trouble reading the same type of lights. Yet I agree with you on the checkpoints.
Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie

"Roll your window down, or we can break it......", wow.
For a guy who has done nothing wrong, no probable cause to be pulled over, just happened to drive through a checkpoint.
Seven cops around the truck. This vid is incredibly heavy-handed for a dui checkpoint, wouldn't you say?
Hello tyranny, looks like you're here to stay.
They do them here in Va. Beach. They are usually done about 10 pm so they can show off on the 11 pm news. Seems to me if you wanted to catch drunk drivers, hang around the bars at closing time. A lawyer friend of mine thinks they ought check out the noontime watering holes also. A lot of people having a three martini lunch.
Originally Posted by buckcp
Only drunks object to check points
Only dopers object to blood tests
The next logical argument is , "Only criminals/killers are against gun control.
We better all wake up and do some serious thinking on just how "safe" we want to perceive us to be, cause we aren't just sliding down a slippery slope anymore. We're down hill skiing, and we beat 99mph in 2008.

+1
Game & Fish checkpoints are popular in even what most Americans would consider the most "Free" states.
On my last trip to Wyoming I was delayed at length by officers who wanted to "see my papers" though I passed through unabated, it is certainly unpleasant to a certain degree.
Was watching the tv show "Wardens" last week where they were shaking down Montanans at a similar checkpoint, their roadside investigations go far beyond hunting and fishing violations.
They are paid for through federal grants, those areas that don't have them don't get the funds! Helps with securing more officers, and higher pay through overtime hours. How much they help is anybody's guess. They remove unlicensed drivers and those driving without insurance, impounding cars and arresting the dirvers results in work and fees for everybody involved. Seems like they have them every couple weeks around here, the majority being on the main routes within a mile of the on and off ramps to the freeways.

Phil
On several of these DUI checkpoint refusal vids posted by people who have had nothing to drink, the cops use the excuse of "smelling alcohol" to thumb down even harder.

This one starts at 2:30. The officer "smells something" after the guy won't roll down his window all the way.
If we are really concerned about drunk driving, we need to start treating it the way the Nordic countries do. If they catch you driving drunk, you go to jail. Right now. Not next week, not next year but right now. Minimum term is for a year. They take whatever you are driving and there are substantial fines. NO EXCEPTIONS> That means attorneys can not charge thousands of dollars to get the DUI reduced to reckless driving or some other BS. How many times have you heard the report of a drunk killing someone and they have 2 - 3 - 4 or more previous DUI's? We do not care about people driving drunk, only the money that can be made off it by the police departments, cities, states and attorneys.

In the Nordic countries they get one or two drunk driving cases PER YEAR. If you really punish it, people will stop!
Game & Fish checkpoints are popular in even what most Americans would consider the most "Free" states.
On my last trip to Wyoming I was delayed at length by officers who wanted to "see my papers" though I passed through unabated, it is certainly unpleasant to a certain degree.
Was watching the tv show "Wardens" last week where they were shaking down Montanans at a similar checkpoint, their roadside investigations go far beyond hunting and fishing violations.

I oppose those too.

Big time.

Travis
Wyoming is no more immune from stupidity then anywhere else. That's why we need to examine what we really want. Adopting another mans ideals just because they sound plausible and good has deprived us of too much. I personally want to ban ice cream, as statistics prove when ice cream sales rise, so do rapes.
I live in Cheeseheadland where we can still travel from place to place without the gestapo stopping you and asking for your paperz....

Have them all year round, but they double up xmas & new year's eve
I think they're legal to have them here in Missouri, but in the only checkpoints I've encountered they ask to see your driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance, check your headlights, taillights, turn signals, and will fuss at you if you don't have your seatbelt on. They've never asked a thing about whether or not I've been drinking, but I guess in the process of doing all those checks they can get a pretty good idea if you're impaired or not.

I had been up here for a couple of years before I got stopped the first time, and I didn't know what "registration" was, since we didn't have to have it in Alabama then. When I told the trooper I didn't know what it was and asked him to describe to me what I should be looking for, he immediately directed me over into the "offender" lane. Once there, another trooper took over and told me what it was, and I thought I remembered having something like that in the glove box. I found it and everything was cool and I went on my way.
Whole thing took me about 30 seconds.

COP: Have you bring drinking ?
ME: No !
COP: Have a good day.

The Cop was respectful of me and I of him.

Who wouldn't be opposed to such wanton ablation of their rights?

Folks here are acting like only drunks get in wrecks and kill people. Perhaps some education is in order?

Cell phone checkpoints would save more lives

It is because of the .gov using blackmail on the highway money.

Just like the seat belt laws.

Waste of time,like was said check the bars and clubs.
That is where most come from anyway.
Originally Posted by Hotload

What's your point?

Travis

Not no,but HELL NO !!!

My sister was shot in the face, no more guns, period.

Again, reading that is akin to reading some Newtown parents. Lots of emotion, no logic.

As I've said again and again, conservative Yankees are a funny lot. They are what I call liberals.
How about a concealed weapon checkpoint? Make sure people that shouldn't have a concealed weapon don't and that those that do have the proper paperwork.

How about a concealed weapon checkpoint? Make sure people that shouldn't have a concealed weapon don't and that those that do have the proper paperwork.

Ummm.... I think that would be wrong?

Laughin'...

Travis

What's your point?

Travis

We don't have checkpoints in my rural area, but I often wonder.

Sunday's, we have dinner at my son's in town. He's a beer snob, so he gets some premium micro stuff, and I have a bottle while dinner is being made. Then we eat, and talk a bit.

So, me, my wife, and my daughter are driving home, and I hit a checkpoint, and the officer asks if I've been drinking, do I just say no, considering it was a couple hours ago? Great, I teach my girl that it's ok to lie?

Or I say yes, I had one beer (heard that line enough from the other side of the window), whereas I get to let my daughter witness all the special treatment afforded by "possible cause".

Good times.

What's your point?

Travis

Obviously ... at the end of the day, cops are just people doing their job.
Treat them with some measure of respect and they will show you the same respect.

Treat them with some measure of respect and they will show you the same respect.

I'll keep that in mind next time I meet somebody in law enforcement.

But that really has not one [bleep] thing to do with the topic at hand.

Travis
we don't have them ...but we do have cops that hang out...waiting outside at 2am...at the more popular bars....
In an area that bars outnumber grocery stores 10-1, Yes, we have them all the time.

I like that idea, but I'd say if they check you and you don't have a gun, they should get to kick your azz.
Obamacare checkpoints should be conducted too. Need to make sure folks have insurance.

if only that were the truth!
Bears repeating that drunk drivers are easy to find..post up at any bar at 2am. I just can't get behind stopping every car coming down the way and taking what they can get.

I oppose those too.

Big time.

Travis

F&G is a rogue agency here�they do as they please.
Originally Posted by RWE

So, me, my wife, and my daughter are driving home, and I hit a checkpoint, and the officer asks if I've been drinking, do I just say no, considering it was a couple hours ago? Great, I teach my girl that it's ok to lie?

Or I say yes, I had one beer (heard that line enough from the other side of the window), whereas I get to let my daughter witness all the special treatment afforded by "possible cause".

Exactly. If the checkpoint even gets a hint that you may have had a few (even hours earlier), you're probably going to be field tested.
Got a bum knee? Too bad that walk the line test, or balance on one foot thing may not work so well for you, even though you may be perfectly legal. Your night just got real interesting....

Travis

I'm telling my first hand experience through a DUI checkpoint.

Who the [bleep] are you ? The 24CF subject dictator.

I'm telling my first hand experience through a DUI checkpoint.

Who the [bleep] are you ? The 24CF subject dictator.

You know good and goddammn well who I am.

Travis
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

^^^^^^

This
Just by reading this thread everyone should clearly know why Obama got elected twice and Hillary will be next. People everyday are ready to give up their liberties for a just a little more what they think is safety.
[Linked Image]

Mein Herr, ze reazon I pooled you uber is zet ze Fahrrads obstructieren your view, and ze Mattress on topf of ze Roof ist also nicht Kosher.
It's true, being courteous to law enforcement personnel works much better then telling them, " If your gonna give me a ticket, give me a ticket. If I wanted to listen to a lecture from a minimum wage c***s*cker, I'll go home to the wife" I overheard that conversation while filling up with gas many years ago between a speeder and a HP. It was amazing how quick the tickets were written.
Hello tyranny, if you don't fully roll down the window at a checkpoint and comply, they smash it in and arrest you.

Starts at 2:10.

Travis

This is quite true. Yesterday I got stopped for doing 57 in what I thought was a 50 MPH zone. Turns out I was doing 57 in a 25, which was also a school zone, while school was getting out. I was respectful, he sent me on my way and said don't do it again. Could have been easily a $1000 bucks and reckless driving.

Not all cops are dicks, but they should generally be distrusted; much like politicians.

Exactly. If the checkpoint even gets a hint that you may have had a few (even hours earlier), you're probably going to be field tested.
Got a bum knee? Too bad that walk the line test, or balance on one foot thing may not work so well for you, even though you may be perfectly legal. Your night just got real interesting....
I have been wondering what would happen if I ever got checked for a DUI. Back injury makes my left leg numb and it does not always do what I tell it to do and I often have a hard time telling exactly where it is. Then add constant vertigo. I never drink and drive. If I am having a drink it is either at home or someone not drinking dies the driving.

I could be in big trouble and a blood test would confirm there was no alcohol in my blood just because of my handicaps. Probably not an issue because I have not driven on any public road in over six months and if they cannot make a big improvement in my vertigo I may never drive again.

I will admit I love it when officers remove a drunk from the road but I like the way they are doing in in Oregon and Washington, by watching for impaired drivers not my what I believe are unconstitutional stops.
I know there was one last year on St.Patrick day.

Mike

with reasoning like this, you belong in congress.

Uhhh...that quote was turning around the logic YOU USED to throw it back in your face to show JUST how absurd it was. You didn't get that? With reading comprehension like that you may make a good congressional aide.
If you don't comply, you will be dealt with accordingly....

I got stopped here in N.C. after they couldn't find anything wrong they asked to look in my trunk. I told them there was nothing in there that belonged to them, guess what??? by the way my wife and I are in our 80s. it was worth the price of a lawyer just to piss them off. if stopped again I expect to be greeted with, where are your papers jew?
This kind of crap makes my blood boil. I shouldn't be, but am amazed at how many anti-freedom jerk-offs masquerade on the campfire as conservatives.
Originally Posted by buckcp
It's true, being courteous to law enforcement personnel works much better then telling them, " If your gonna give me a ticket, give me a ticket. If I wanted to listen to a lecture from a minimum wage c***s*cker, I'll go home to the wife" I overheard that conversation while filling up with gas many years ago between a speeder and a HP. It was amazing how quick the tickets were written.

That line was so great it was worth the cost of admission.

Travis
Since logic isn't your strong suit it appears Yankees still value freedom...

Again, reading that is akin to reading some Newtown parents. Lots of emotion, no logic.

As I've said again and again, conservative Yankees are a funny lot. They are what I call liberals.

where roadblocks aren�t allowed (Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming),

Since not being able to figure out who I was replying to (I guess the quote wasn't enough hint for you) isn't your strong suit, go back and read my reply again.

Sorry if you're so easily offended, send Kamo an email as he heads up the 'Fire Victim's are Us chapter.
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Not all cops are dicks, but they should generally be distrusted; much like politicians.

Any stranger should not be trusted. Cops are no different.

Travis
Obamacare checkpoints should be conducted too. Need to make sure folks have insurance.

Don't give Yankees any ideas. That schit's next.

Travis

Most especially those concerned with MY well-being and soul.
I don't GAF who you were replying to. Your statement was as stupid as your failed logic and that's what I pointed out to you.

As far as kamo is concerned let's just say we don't send each other Christmas cards. He annoys me as much or more than you do. wink
I'm a consevative yankee am I a liberal and don't realize it?
Only one thing worse than a Yankee lover....
Originally Posted by tzone

Don't give Yankees any ideas. That schit's next.

Yep, that's what those 16,000 additional IRS agents are for, to ensure compliance.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I'm a consevative yankee am I a liberal and don't realize it?

Pat says NO, but I ain't seen you fish yet so I'll hold judgement till that day.

I still have some stuff I need to mail you.
Oh no now I'm really [bleep],I gotta move!

Travis

No, no. A piggly wiggly should be distrusted on general principle. Much more malignantly than a typical run-of-the-mill stranger.
I can fish! I like hog jowls but not grits
Who needs liberals when we have conservative Yankees like these!

[Linked Image]

Another

[Linked Image]

No, no. A piggly wiggly should be distrusted on general principle. Much more malignantly than a typical run-of-the-mill stranger.

Oh.

How did I ever get by in life without this tidbit?

Travis

What, Oergon and Washington??? Where everybody is a liberal queer. I read it here along with all Yankees being bad so I know the there can be no laws protecting any rights in Yankee liberal queer land. You must be wrong, after all guns are not allowed here either. wink

Thank God there are no checkpoints is the great state of Tennessee, home of only good guys who are straight, conservative and true southern gentlemen.
Who needs liberals when we have conservative Yankees like these!

[Linked Image]

Another

[Linked Image]

Or southerners like LBJ who signed the GCA '68 or Slick Willie Clinton who signed the Brady Act.

What, Oergon and Washington??? Where everybody is a liberal queer. I read it here along with all Yankees being bad so I know the there can be no laws protecting any rights in Yankee liberal queer land. You must be wrong, after all guns are not allowed here either. wink

Thank God there are no checkpoints is the great state of Tennessee, home of only good guys who are straight, conservative and true southern gentlemen.

Why do you take everything so personal?
I just repeating what I read here. It was news to me,I know lots of folks in the PNW who are none of these things and I was pretty darned sire I was none of them but I keep reading it here so it must be true of everyone who lives here.

I just get sick of it from time to time.

If it offends you I will quit posting.

A Christian?

Dave
Offend me? Na I just don't think you should take every thing said by steelhead as an insult to you.

Guess I could move.
Offend me? Na I just don't think you should take every thing said by steelhead as an insult to you.

Even when it was meant as such?

A Christian?

Dave

GFY
I don't drink & drive, but if I ever encounter a cop who asks me "Have you been drinking?" I'm going to say "Yes SIR, about 12 beers!" and let him put me through the silly people tricks (failing, on purpose) and when he lets me blow in the breathalyzer I'm gonna start laughing in his face when it keeps showing "0.000000" (do you think he'll be pissed when he realizes I've been jerking him around? smile )
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...-federal-roadside-checkpoints-increasing
Pay someone and they'll do the dirty job.
Pay them and they'll come door to door for your guns. They say they won't but the majority are just GD liars
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I don't drink & drive, but if I ever encounter a cop who asks me "Have you been drinking?" I'm going to say "Yes SIR, about 12 beers!" and let him put me through the silly people tricks (failing, on purpose) and when he lets me blow in the breathalyzer I'm gonna start laughing in his face when it keeps showing "0.000000" (do you think he'll be pissed when he realizes I've been jerking him around? smile )

NO! You'll be a dumass carted off to the ER for "further testing".

He will get you for impaired driving. They will believe you have taken some other kind of drug and treat you the same as a full blown drunk. Yeah it could be funny, but I'll let you go first.
Especially if you are interfering with his doughnut time.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

With the right attorney, it'll be $$$$$$$$$ in my pocket for a few hours inconvenience grin Can you say "D'Arcy Echols Classic Light Sporter in my safe!"??
Originally Posted by vabeachman
Especially if you are interfering with his doughnut time.

....and his wife out shopping for shoes-again, instead of makin' his gawdamed dinner.
Can you say "D'Arcy Echols Classic Light Sporter in my safe!"??

Not at a DUI check point.

With the right attorney, it'll be $$$$$$$$$ in my pocket for a few hours inconvenience grin Can you say "D'Arcy Echols Classic Light Sporter in my safe!"??

Nope charges dropped, no money!

Mike

Mike

No charges to begin with.
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Pay them and they'll come door to door for your guns. They say they won't but the majority are just GD liars

I wont argue your point of view as I have spent very little time in your State. LEOs, generally speaking, are drawn from the AO they work in and are generally representative of that AO. It sucks that you live in an area full of weak-willed folks without the personal pride to do what is right.

It appears, though, that they'll have an easy job as most of the folk around them will just buckle and 'hand 'em in ". They'll say they won't but the majority are just GD liars.
Originally Posted by NH K9

I wont argue your point of view as I have spent very little time in your State. LEOs, generally speaking, are drawn from the AO they work in and are generally representative of that AO. It sucks that you live in an area full of weak-willed folks without the personal pride to do what is right.

It appears, though, that they'll have an easy job as most of the folk around them will just buckle and 'hand 'em in ". They'll say they won't but the majority are just GD liars.

Spot on!

It also sucks that so many areas of this country are seeing an influx of that mentality in law enforcement.

I made the choice to live in an area that supports our local Sheriff.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
[quote=gonehuntin]I don't drink & drive, but if I ever encounter a cop who asks me "Have you been drinking?" I'm going to say "Yes SIR, about 12 beers!" and let him put me through the silly people tricks (failing, on purpose) and when he lets me blow in the breathalyzer I'm gonna start laughing in his face when it keeps showing "0.000000" (do you think he'll be pissed when he realizes I've been jerking him around? smile )

Mike

No charges to begin with.

I agree would be filed in pending crime lab results or something, was referring to the other poster assuming he was going to get paid for a wrongful arrest or charge or something.

I don't really concern myself with them until after the Court sentences so don't know the specifics of each requirement.

Mike

Spot on!

It also sucks that so many areas of this country are seeing an influx of that mentality in law enforcement.

Same here. Our county and state offers don't bat an eye over open or concealed carry. All contact I have had have been professional and respectful. You drive drunk and you have a good chance of getting caught but it won't be because of a road block, it will be because you can't stay in your lane and maintain speed.

Even when it was meant as such?

And it is meant to insult. No one else post that kind of trash about others here.
I don't know what Steelhead posted, and ain't going back to see, but I don't recall him being wrong about anything before.
I don't know what Steelhead posted, and ain't going back to see, but I don't recall him being wrong about anything before.

Basically all yankees are liberals.

Spot on!

Same here. Our county and state offers don't bat an eye over open or concealed carry. All contact I have had have been professional and respectful. You drive drunk and you have a good chance of getting caught but it won't be because of a road block, it will be because you can't stay in your lane and maintain speed.

The local "city" has the paintball shop next to the Police station. laugh
Must be a full moon
Must be a full moon

In Cabin Feverville�...

Wow.

I bet he had you at the wolf in the pink canoe pic.... blush

JK, SH is a great 24hr original... Even if he does use such terms as "Yankee" and such. smile
Originally Posted by MarlinMark

Don't reckon I know what that means.

Mike

Ok. So you agree that since the state funded the road and the citizen acquired a license, the state has a right to stop anybody on that road, and with that license, without cause?

Travis

I should point out the the "State" didn't fund the the road, "Citizens" did...curious that people lose track of what the "State" really is...carry on sheeople...

Don't reckon I know what that means.

Now that is perfect. Maybe Steelhead will post the pic up so you can know.

Just a few recent.

There are a bunch of hot chicks everywhere, I'll pass on the liberal, carpet munching bitches.
says a lot about our wives and daughters. this was from a post on people in Oregon

Nothing would be better than to see all those liberal ass, pot smoking, cock sucking, gun hating left coasters rot on this one.

So Pat, are you saying he right, we in the PNW are all like this? If it is the general consensus I will bow out of this conversation.
What is "this one"?
What is "this one"?

You lost me my friend. Explain your question please.
He said he'd like to see these people rot "on this one".
OK got it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Here_s_to_the_Saints_gettin#Post8457251
So...this is about talking smack over a football game?
Tells me all I need to know. Steelhead is good to insult us in the PNW and yes that one post was about Seattle football but the others aren't.

Good night Sir.

It's just that it's getting dam difficult to find a cop these days that honest and upholds the Constitution without the excuse"I'm just following orders".
Read here what your pals in blue, now black op suits are being told what to do and "following orders"
http://www.rense.com/general54/oshkoshpoliceconduct.htm
And thank you Madison PD for harassing the Open Carry group at Culver's. They hastened concealed carry rights to be passed quicker
Kind of like what happened after the Boston Marathon. Damn shame to see this happen. The cops are just looking to get along and get promotions and stay on the force. Its just a job mostly to them. See the same thing in the military. I feel bad for what the USA is coming to when I look at my Children and Grandchildren.
Kind of like what happened after the Boston Marathon.

What happened?
martial law.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...e-had-martial-law-out-there-its-criminal
When I was growing up I always heard that the people in the south had such good manners.

Is that a myth or were they taught that?

Not from the south originally. Retired from the Navy here and decided to stay for awhile. Did I do something to offend you?
When I was growing up I always heard that the people in the south had such good manners.

I've worked all over..The biggest collection of [bleep] I've lived among were in the NE. I could never live in the south, but do like certain area's, and for the most part the people are great.The south is pretty much the only place you will hear a youn'un address you as Mr.

Its taught
Tells me all I need to know. Steelhead is good to insult us in the PNW and yes that one post was about Seattle football but the others aren't.

Good night Sir.

I live in the PNW and all I can say is, there's the ugliest bittches I've ever seen in my life here. I don't know if it's the water, the end of the highway, inbreeding or what, but that's a fact, Jack!
Good lord. DUI check points have come to this.
WTF seriously thinks its a good idea to force people to submit to random, warrantless searches?

Fact- It's a mystery why Canada has smoking hot chicks, and just a hundred miles south, not so much. Many exceptions, but not to a rule. I think it has something to do with the way they have manipulated bacon.(it's really ham, don't be fooled.)

Fact- DUI check points suck azz. There ain't a damn thing good about 'em.

Fact- 50% of the time Steelhead is funny, 40% of the time he is a douche bag, 10% of the time he could pass for a southerner......100% of the time it don't matter for chit, it's just the innanet.
The point Mike was trying to make about driving being a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT may be true.

But the fact is, we aren't talking about driving. We are talking about an illegal stop of one and an illegal search and seizure and detainment without PC. I don't give a rat's butt if you are walking, driving, or riding your tricycle, when the cops stop you without PC for a general purposes, it is ILLEGAL. This is exactly what the 4th Amendment was designed to protect the citizens from. It is an infringement.

I apologize to anyone here who lost someone to a drunk driver. I ask in all honesty, what does your loss have to do with illegally stopping and detaining me?

How does your loss equate to me giving up my explicitly defined right? It doesn't and you guys are allowing your emotions to cloud your judgment.

You guys need to grow up and drop the fricken emoting and remember what the hell this country was founded upon.

Originally Posted by Tarkio
The point Mike was trying to make about driving being a PRIVILEGE and not a RIGHT may be true.

But the fact is, we aren't talking about driving. We are talking about an illegal stop of one and an illegal search and seizure and detainment without PC. I don't give a rat's butt if you are walking, driving, or riding your tricycle, when the cops stop you without PC for a general purposes, it is ILLEGAL. This is exactly what the 4th Amendment was designed to protect the citizens from. It is an infringement.

I apologize to anyone here who lost someone to a drunk driver. I ask in all honesty, what does your loss have to do with illegally stopping and detaining me?

How does your loss equate to me giving up my explicitly defined right? It doesn't and you guys are allowing your emotions to cloud your judgment.

You guys need to grow up and drop the fricken emoting and remember what the hell this country was founded upon.

Ever been stopped, detained and searched by game wardens because you look like a hunter during hunting season?
Seems Fish & Game officers have some of the widest reaching leeway when it comes to probable cause searches.

Ever been stopped, detained and searched by game wardens because you look like a hunter during hunting season?
Seems Fish & Game officers have some of the widest reaching leeway when it comes to probable cause searches.

They do, in many states.

Travis
Originally Posted by chas05
[

I should point out the the "State" didn't fund the the road, "Citizens" did...curious that people lose track of what the "State" really is...carry on sheeople...

Try again.

Travis

Are you kidding? People from the south can't even read.

And the weakest of humans congregate in warm climates because they're too stupid to survive in the cold.

Fact.

Travis

PS-Good morning.
Good point.
Good point.

I normally make fun of people from Oregon as well, but I was going to ask you to take me fishing off the coast some time so I'm not going to.

Travis
Talk about them southerners all you want............... just DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS.

BTW...... I've been meaning to mention this for awhile...... I can tell by the way you type that you talk funny.

Cap'n Pat will give you lessons in diction.

See'n as how you're a LEO, he'll probably do it pro bono.

I expect to see improvement shortly.

Carry on.
Texas? Are you kidding? Texans are so stupid the south won't even accept them as their own.

Travis

Are you kidding? People from the south can't even read.

And the weakest of humans congregate in warm climates because they're too stupid to survive in the cold.

Fact.

Travis

PS-Good morning.

So....... we can expect to see lots of Eskimos in the Olympics?
And you are right about my speaking different. Whenever I have Coleman on the line the conversation takes an extra 20 minutes on average.

"Huh?"

"The what?"

"I have no idea what you're saying Mickey."

"Travis you need to learn how to speak properly."

Travis
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I believe eskimos are extinct.

Travis

Travis

Same thing down here with Bigfoots.............. I think it was the liberal bag limits that done 'em in.

Travis

Same thing down here with Bigfoots.............. I think it was the liberal bag limits that done 'em in.

Can't be Gene. Saw on the internet where a fella shot one in in Texas just a week or so back
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Can't be Gene. Saw on the internet where a fella shot one in in Texas just a week or so back

Yeah. This is the same group of people that refer to La Pryor as "God's country."

Travis
It never made the rounds here. B&C score was probably not noteworthy.
How do they score a 'squatch
Pecker length or tit size.

This is the last weekend of deer season. It's about warmed up enough for me to head out, so I'll see y'all later.
What is "this one"?

You lost me my friend. Explain your question please.

Wow Scott, you are a puzzy hurt chick ain't ya? Always have been.

If it applies to you then get puzzy hurt, if it don't then move along.

Looks like the Kamo Victim's R' Us list continues to grow.
Yep. You are a hundred present right and I was wrong. I have learned my lesson and I offer this former apology. You can say anything g you wat about me, my family, or the state where I live and I will agree. You are right all the time.

See my tag line.
"See my tag line."

Just as an aside, since some may not be aware of it, the 'fire allows me to block out ALL tag lines and it is a function I employed as soon as I learned of it.
Texas? Are you kidding? Texans are so stupid the south won't even accept them as their own.

Travis

This is true. Texas is just Mexico with more blonde hookers.

That's its one redeeming value.
martial law.

Horseschit.

As to the original question: no, we don't. I've never seen one in 30 years of driving here, anyway.

Funny that some of those who talk all kinds of smack about MA live in states where their cops can haul them over for a random DUI search.

Travis, a pity more don't share the mindset of you, Lt. and a few of the other JLs here.

Looks like the Kamo Victim's R' Us list continues to grow.

Why so cranky today, Sweetie? You get a day off from 'work' tomorrow, and should be psyched to be able to spend a whole other day doing what you love so much: sitting in front of the computer, doing absolutely [bleep] nothing. Unless being a sour, miserable little bitch counts.
He just still passed because the south lost the war. Southern bigots miss the days when they could rape their woman slaves by night and whip the men by day so they take it out on those in the north. *

* The above does not apply to most of the fine citizens here who live in the south, just the drunken bigots who like to brag how much they hate anyone who lives north of some invisible line.
Now we will see if Rick bans me for talking back to all the crap some folks like to spread.
Hey, my ancestors didn't contribute to the slavery in this country... they picked their own cotton...

guess that is why I occasionally able to get along with some Yankees... whistle

besides Leighton isn't some Yankee, he's some Japanese Scottish guy who lives in Boston...doing undercover work for the Conservative Rednecks of America Foundation.. the CRAF...

not to be confused with the Confederate Redneck Air Force.. (CR-AF ) or CRAP... which stands for what you Yankees call Scheiss...
State Trooper: Sir have you been Drinking this evening?

Seafire: Yes sir, quite a bit...

State Trooper: how much did you have to drink tonight sir?

Seafire: 3 Lemonades and a Root Beer chaser...

whistle

Just a few recent.

There are a bunch of hot chicks everywhere, I'll pass on the liberal, carpet munching bitches.
says a lot about our wives and daughters. this was from a post on people in Oregon

Nothing would be better than to see all those liberal ass, pot smoking, cock sucking, gun hating left coasters rot on this one.

So Pat, are you saying he right, we in the PNW are all like this? If it is the general consensus I will bow out of this conversation.

He also said there are a lot of hot chicks everywhere. You could have applied the compliment OR the insult to your wives and daughters. You CHOSE the insult.
Steelhead is right and I was wrong. I have learned my lesson. Steelhead is always right.
Choosing to hear the insult rather than the compliment was chickish.

Steelhead is right and I was wrong. I have learned my lesson. Steelhead is always right.

That's even more chickish.
OK. I will try this. Steelhead is a drunken fool who is drinking his life away. As far as I am concerned he can go funk himself. I am sick of is putting other folks down because they are Steelhead. It is sad because just like Stick he aSked a great guy.

I generally try to keep from putting other folks down even if I hold a different opinion. He seems to take much pleasure in it.

That better?
That second line makes no sense, but it doesn't sound like a thirteen year old girl typed it.

So yeah, I'd say it's better.
Spelling f u c k doesn't work on the Fire.

Look, you having a problem with me? I get sick of someone talking trash because I no longer live in the south. Is that the problem?
No I don't have a problem with you. I'd have to care to have a problem with you.

I am sick of is putting other folks down because they are Steelhead. It is sad because just like Stick he aSked a great guy.

This ^^^ is what doesn't make any sense.
I always thought you were a nice guy.

Thinking weabout my future here. Sure not the Fire I joined. Maybe I not the kind of guy the fire wants.
Scott,

Speaking for myself, I enjoy the hell out of most of your posts. The pics of your place there in WA and the stuff you do with it is really neat. If I find a reason to be in your neck of the woods I'd relish the opportunity to buy you a cup of coffee, if for no other reason than for some of the posts you've made about guys you'd have coffee with.

That being said, you do play the victim card pretty hard sometimes, this being one of them.
I am a nice guy.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm a bad guy. And that line of reasoning is what I'm trying to explain sounds very feminine.
Originally Posted by garyh9900
Yep, we have "road checks" pretty routinely throughout the warm months, and occasionally during the cold months.

If you are traveling on the memorial day weekend, 4th of July holiday, Labor Day weekend, Thanksgiving Day weekend, Christmas and New Years weekend, you can expect to see Road checks.

Do I agree with them? Not necessarily.
Holy sheet. I only read the first few posts back on page 1 then typed a reply. I had no idea where this windbag, shovel of sheet thread had progressed to before my post.

My apologies.
I am a nice guy.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm a bad guy. And that line of reasoning is what I'm trying to explain sounds very feminine.

Never said or thought you were anything but a nice guy. If that is the way it sounded then I wrote it wrong. Got my computer out and quit trying to use the cellphone with fat fingers.
My nice guy was in reply to your not caring.

I am obviously in the wrong here, way to many I respect saying so.

From now on I will leave Steelhead alone no mater what he says. I will do my best to take nothing personal.

Lesson learned.
He just still passed because the south lost the war. Southern bigots miss the days when they could rape their woman slaves by night and whip the men by day so they take it out on those in the north. *

I was playing holdem in Las Vegas in 98. One of the players who was black was being obnoxious and confrontational. At the end of one hand he got extremely pissy towards the player who won the pot. As the winner was stacking his chips he addressed the ass. He stated, " it's people like you that make me proud my grandad was a slave owner" It took a good five minutes before the laughter died down enough to continue play.
OK. I will try this. Steelhead is a drunken fool who is drinking his life away. As far as I am concerned he can go funk himself. I am sick of is putting other folks down because they are Steelhead. It is sad because just like Stick he aSked a great guy.

I generally try to keep from putting other folks down even if I hold a different opinion. He seems to take much pleasure in it.

That better?

It's not if but it's WHEN the so called 'Christians' will crack.

You've always been a victim, and I thank my upright walking God that I ain't you.

Laffin

Thinking weabout my future here. Sure not the Fire I joined. Maybe I not the kind of guy the fire wants.

Sweet Louise, douche already. I'm sure Kamo has a long list of feminine products that will help you.

* The above does not apply to most of the fine citizens here who live in the south, just the drunken bigots who like to brag how much they hate anyone who lives north of some invisible line.

I'm no more a drunk than you are a Christian. Been driving lately, laffin
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Just by reading this thread everyone should clearly know why Obama got elected twice and Hillary will be next. People everyday are ready to give up their liberties for a just a little more what they think is safety.
Yep...

laugh laugh

There it is, the dreaded, "someone on the 'net hurt my feelers, so I'm taking my ball and going home" post. That ain't chickish.......lol
Yep.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

There it is, the dreaded, "someone on the 'net hurt my feelers, so I'm taking my ball and going home" post. That ain't chickish.......lol

Nope.

I'm no more a drunk than you are a Christian. Been driving lately, laffin

Nope. But that is related to an injury and does not enter into this.

How about this, I apologize for my words and actions. Can we get back to at least neutral ground?
© 24hourcampfire