Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Spot on Doc, but what I can't figure out is why conservatives have been so unable to win the war of persuasion. Is it because we have the naive idea that good ideas have to win out on their merits, alone? Is it because enlisting the ad-men is beneath our dignity? Why can't we figure out how to sway the gullible?

Or is it that no-one can beat a permissive Santa Claus?

The composition of our society frightens me most.

The Right is horribly bad at self promotion whereas the left will fed you chickenpoop and tell you its the greatest chicken salad on earth.

Something I'm sure you can relate to is that you and I have colleagues that are crappy clinicians, don't know occlusion from Bolean Algebra, leave margins that you can stick a fork into, yet have the entire community convinced they are L D Panky reincarnate.
They sell themselves whereas I'm old school and think your quality will speak for you. Sometimes not blowing your own horn hurts you, but compared to a self aggrandizing incompetent, I sleep well at night.

Same with the GOP - no self promotion of their merits.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo