Originally Posted by bonecrusher338
For Elk and Moose, there is only one right choice;

200 Grain Nosler Partition.

Undoubtedly a good bullet for elk and moose, but I wouldn't call it the "only one right choice."

I have been lucky enough to have lived in elk country most of my life, and have hunted them for most of the past 50 years.

In the late 60's and early 70's I lived in Steamboat Springs, Colorado which was in the heart of some of the best elk hunting in the world. Five of the first seven elk that I've killed were while I was living there, and I killed them with a .30-06 using 180 grain Sierra GameKing bullets.

In 1975 I moved to Northwestern Montana, and the three elk that I killed there were also with my .30-06 and 180 grain Sierra GK bullets.

I moved to my present home near Bozeman, Montana in 1978, and 21 of the elk and the two Shiras bull moose that I've killed while living here were with my .30 Gibbs (an improved .30-06) and 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets. The last two elk that I've killed were with my .300 Weatherby using a 168 grain Barnes TSX and a TTSX bullet.

Both of my moose and most of my elk (including the elk that I've killed with sub .30 caliber bullets) were one shot kills, and I've never felt that I needed more gun or a heavier bullet.

Accuracy and bullet placement are the most important. Any of the three bullets listed in the original post will easily kill any elk or moose IF they are put in the right place. I'd pick the one that shoots best in MY rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member