I ran into a couple of folks this fall at the local Sportsman Warehouse who were looking for moose and or all-purpose loads for their rifles. It was pretty obvious that they were probably going to be pointing their rifles at flesh before paper under the circumstances at the time. One was a woman who had her 'nephew' on her cellphone and was contemplating whether to get the 150 or 180 Core-lokts for her 308. I did my best to convince her to go heavy, but....the 40 pack of 150s were a good deal.

And then there was the fellow who had a brand new 300 Win Mag. He had been to the range once and had shot 150s of some flavor -(more of which weren't on the shelf). He wanted to get a load that would be a versatile, all-purpose moose/caribou load. He was looking at some plastic tipped, thin jacketed 150. I tried to explain that it would work fine on his caribou, get real messy of he ended up poking a moose in a big bone, and might ruin a bunch of edible meat on a caribou that he had to hike at least 5 miles of tundra just to shoot. I tried to get him to think heavier ("But those 150s really shot well! And, my gosh, those Federal 180 Partitions or TSXs are spendy!"). I think I convinced him to at least buy some kind of bonded 165 grain bullet.

All that said, my partner this fall had 175 Core-lokts in his 7 Rem Mag, and one of those big slugs broke both heavy femurs. The problem in a lot of small places (here in Alaska anyway) is that they might carry a single bullet weight in a given cartridge. That could easily be 100 grainers in 270, 175s in 7 Mauser, and 140s in the 7 Rem Mag. That's a tough way to compare cartridges.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.