I have owned magnums in every diameter between .257 and .375. I think I shot them pretty well. Problem was, when I got to the uneven terrain, they always got left at camp or in the truck in favor of something lighter.

The magnums are all gone. I mostly use either one of my .30-06s or the .308. I have done OK on deer with a .243, but I think I have better for elk, should the occasion arise.

I will tell this story since all of the participants, including the landowner are deceased. Cousin, Uncle, and Friend, drove to CO to hunt elk on private land. Arrived way late, got up late, and were finishing breakfast at host's house at dawn. The party had two bull and a cow tag.

Cousin saw a band of elk, from the kitchen window, on a ridge top moving away from a hunter who seemed unaware that they were there, moving toward host's property. Cousin grabbed his rifle, a BAR .30-06, hiked out, hid behind a rock and waited. The elk passed by at about 75-80 yards. Three shots, all three tags filled, hunt over.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero