Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I live and hunt in Oregon myself for years now.

And I don't know for sure what it takes to kill an elk every time but I have killed plenty with a sharp broadhead on an arrow. I have seen teenage girls kill elk dead in their tracks with a .243. At distance.

I think the whole magnum thing is a phase most go through. If you are only shooting a couple times a year you could surely handle it right?

My group all went through it about 15 years ago. They all went out and bought 300 mags in different configurations. After getting beat to death by factory stocks and heavy loads they all switched back to their .270's

I shoot a big mag on critters I want to stay where I shoot them. I do not have a bunch of rifles that are heavy hitter because I do not feel I need them in most situations. Some situations, I do feel, require a thump to get the job done fast.

I have shot heavy loads accurately in rifles designed to shoot that type of load for a long time. No they are not light mountain rifles, they weigh in at nine pounds plus, the stock is designed to fit me, and they have great triggers.

So when you decide to "come out west to hunt elk" worry about shooting whatever you bring - well. Expect to fail at finding elk and have to work harder than you ever had to at being successful. Have good boots and a backup pair. Be ready for any kind of weather. Have trusted and tried gear. Bring an attitude that shows a sense of humor and tenacity and you will have a great experience.

Oregon is beautiful and bountiful take the time to enjoy it.

Excellent post spoken from the heart. I can appreciate that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA