Being from PA,I've sat in on several conversations regarding "elk" rigs. Unfortunately here there are folks that believe if the only opportunity they have is a quartering away shot at 800 yds,they have to take it.There are a lot of old pissed up notions still floating around about heading "out west". Fortunately sites like this one are getting things turned around through discussions like this one. I've been to the Gunny National twice now. I've had one shot opportunity at a running herd bull. I passed. To our camps credit,we have taken 5 bulls out of there in 2 trips. All shot within 100 yds,and all good clean kills. Not all easterners fit the profile. I may never be up in there again,or connect on an elk. I have the satisfaction of knowing I did the right thing. The idea that one HAS to be success full because they may never be back,or the folks at home are watching,still exists. I have 2 pristine elk tags in the gun safe. Never used and in good condition. It doesn't keep me up at night because I got to experience the Rockies. There is nothing like that for folks that live at 2,000 ft.

On a lighter note. It just may boil down to a good reason to go shopping. Fill the time between the tag and the trip. We all know the prep for a hunt is half the fun. Buying rifles is just plain fun all the time. Kinda makes an event out of it. "Yep! Headed to Montana for elk." "You need to come over and see the new rifle I picked up to take." "Pretty sweet!" You get the idea. Justification and lots of fun to boot.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."