Originally Posted by SBTCO
I have to admit my wife and I have had at least one discussion advocating the use of e-collars for child rearing but acknowledged the "legality" of it would be difficult to defend! Now on the other hand, some of these dog owners.....

Love coursing dogs. Never owned any, just didn't live any place where they would be practical but your example above of running children causing instant albeit potentially deadly prey drive hits it hard on the head. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these dog attacks, including deaths, start out as just that scenario, like wolves going on "surplus killing" spree in a flock of sheep.

The bigger point here is that most if not all breeds of dogs are capable of mayhem, including death. Singling out certain breeds, yet discounting others just leaves innocents vulnerable to a lot of pain and suffering. Just like guns, dogs are, one way or another, only as legitimate as their owners/breeders.

Not sure if you've been around a Pitt in "berserk" mode. Send a few of them as catch dogs in action while chasing hogs with dogs. Not much will deflect a Pitt with blood in his eyes. I've seen them bite off 2" thick tree branches in their attempt to get at a hog. 5 minutes later they are meek & mild. Too much Jekyll & Hyde for me to trust them.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12