So, Hank and I got a bit of "work" in this weekend. Bought him a couple of bumpers so he's using something other than a toy when we are "working". Thanks for the suggestion of fitting one with some wings. First time toss he wasn't quite sure what to do with that. He ended up picking it up by the non- wing covered part! laugh He doesn't seem to mind now.

So yesterday, we got a few free hours so I took him and my 5yo over to a fish and game area for a walk around and to toss some bumpers. Going by myself would have probably been better from a training standpoint, but I couldn't say no and I'm tickled I didn't!

For the most part it was a new place for Hank and I wanted him to get into the grass, weeds, brush, etc and just have fun. Every so often I tossed a bumper for him. I did not have the newly purchased check cord on him and he did find and bring nearly all of them back to me...or at least close to me. We are far from retrieving to hand, but I did have to go after him a time or two to get the bumper from him. I think using the check cord on some short throws and getting more diligent with obedience work we can get over that low hurdle. Here's a not so good cell phone video of him retrieving a toss down off the pond's levee.
Hanks Video

A couple of times I tossed the bumper out of his sight or line of sight. He would go looking for it and it was cool to see him turn into the wind to try to scent it (used quail sent). Couple of times it took some coaxing to get him to head in the correct direction, but he did find them! I could tell when he was smelling something by his body language and intensity. I wouldn't call it "birdy" just yet as I'm not sure it was birds or poop or rabbits he was excited to smell. wink But, I can't wait until I know and can call it that!

All in all it was a good day outside with a 5yo boy and a 5mo old pup. We brought home a 1/2 box of empty shotgun hulls that my son found. I think he liked finding those more than Easter eggs! Hope to have many more in the near future.

Since this is supposed to be a running post about my dog training here's my next week's to do list.
1. Keep tossing bumpers with wings
2. Keep reinforcing commands is pretty much knows (Come, Give, Kennel)
3. More work on getting Stay, Whoa, and start on Heel.
4. Work on my tone of voice and body language. I can be bit too much when correcting him.

Now for some pics from the day!
Super K and Hank at the start of the "hike" as K called it.
[Linked Image]
Super K figuring out how to navigate a wet spot.
[Linked Image]
Hank doing what dogs do...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hank's carrying a stick and so will I! Gotta build those muscles for his last two wrestling tournaments. wink
[Linked Image]

Last edited by pointer; 03/07/16.