Enjoyed reading about the journey with your new dog. My wife convinced me to get a male GWP pup this Feb. Our 3 yr old GWP female took to him immediately. Now they play together and hunt the property. Looking forward to the quail opener this Oct. Lots of training to do in the meantime.
Snake avoidance training next saturday.

I would encourage you to get a tracking collar. I realize they are pricey but should you loose a dog, as I did before those collars were available, the agony of trying to find the dog makes the collar worth far more than any money you have to spend. Dealing with a lost dog for a few days will turn you inside out. This is something no one needs to endure any longer. Sure your dog won't wander off but all it takes is once! Heck he could fall into a mine shaft (as a friend's did in Montana) or some other strange situation. How would you find him?

It can be an invaluable tool as you will know if the dog is on point when out of sight and you won't encourage him to return via buzzer or whistle. In heavy cover you will know what the dog is doing and if he has suddenly come across a deer and is chasing it.