Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DF,

While new barrels are usually pretty clean when new, most still have the remnants of proof or test-firing in the bore, so need to be cleaned before installing DBC. In fact, the bores of the unnamed rifle brand known for barrels that foul considerably often have enough copper in 'em to be very visible at the muzzle, just from test-firing a round at the factory.

Aside from instances like that, I give 'em all a chance to prove whether they're going to foul or not before installing DBC. We own one very accurate .223 that has gone 500+ rounds without cleaning, with no deterioration in accuracy, and has never been DBC'd. Have several other rifles that will go around 200 rounds without cleaning, and don't bother cleaning them either.

But then, aside from when installing DBC my normal cleaning routine is to run a loose patch soaked in Montana Extreme through the bore, wait overnight, then push a couple fresh, tight patches through.

John, I have a Model 70 375 H&H from 1997 or there about. I don't think it's been fired so I cleaned as I would a new rifle and the blueing is obviously still present in the bore. Two questions. Will the blueing affect the DBC application, and how long can I leave the DBC in the bore without curing with sending bullets down the barrel. IE can it sit in there for a month?
Thanks.