I've read that piece by Gale,numerous times. I'll not argue with the man,we all see things differently.
<br>
<br>I break in my Custom barrels,but tend to hammer away with the Factory tubes. The reason,is because you can easily have $500 wrapped up in a good barrel and installation. An Ape could do much harm to even a mediocre barrel,with a cleaning rod. I subscribe to the theory of common sense.
<br>
<br>I'd not buy a new brand new motor for my truck,install it and hop it in it with the first turn of the key,to see how fast she goes. Others might. I would not.
<br>
<br>I've seen the effects of fouling and SEVERE fouling. I too use a Foul Out,because on a severe bore,I don't like to use the manual method,due to imparting even more wear and tear.
<br>
<br>In my experience,monitoring fouling is easy. Accuracy declines and that is a red flag,that your bore needs attention. Some brand spanking new barrels,are smoother than others. I've had enough to see that,for my own eyes.
<br>
<br>So I don't used a carved in stone cleaning regimen,nor break in procedure. I tend to shoot,until fouling is evident. Then I tackle it. With a proper sized patched jag and a deft touch,you can feel troubled areas of the bore.
<br>
<br>Like anything else,there is a lot of Smoke and Mirrors,but as always. Common sense will prevail. Use the method,you are most comfortable with..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."