Thanks for your kind words. It's easy to be "eloquent" when you have good material and good memories. All you have to do is "tell it like it was."
<br>
<br>Bill had a special talent for eloquent, memorable inscriptions in the books that he signed. Long before I met him, I wrote to thank him for something he'd written about our friend Elmer -- and while I was at it, sent him a check for a copy of NSPW and asked him to sign it. I also knew that he'd worked a number of cases with my U S Marshal uncle and mentioned that uncle in my letter. Bill inscribed my copy of his book
<br>"Any friend of Elmer Keith and nephew of Stanley Fountain is automatically a friend of
<br>Bill Jordan"
<br>
<br>My son -- to his intense disappointment at the delay -- didn't get to meet Bill until he was eleven or twelve (Bill put his arm around Ben, called him "Pard" or "Amigo," and treated that delighted boy as an equal as they walked around together all evening). When he learned that Ben had read NSPW more than once, he said "You need a copy of your own" and gave Ben a copy inscribed
<br>"If you turn out the kind of man your dad is, that will please
<br>Bill Jordan"
<br>
<br>You can no doubt understand my boy's near-worship of Bill!
<br>
<br>... and imagine how his friends miss him

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.