Ken,
<br>
<br>My adult children (Julien born before 1970 and Amy born two months after the shooting) would have been here anyway. I got to see them grow up, graduate from college and become fine adults. I have three grandchildren who give me great pleasure every day.So I do get that kind of pleasure at surviving. Along with the friendship and companionship of many friends including my wife of 38 years.
<br>
<br>But the life-long loss of that day coupled to the extraordinary circumstances that put Jim where I would have normally been, have made this day a ponderous burden.
<br>
<br>Jim and I were both reserve lieutenants on the Marion County Sheriff's Reserve. That night I was helping a friend who was Town Marshall in Ravenswood, Indiana by patrolling his town in the town's car. Jim was patrolling for the county in another district. I was never more than one mile from the scene of the shooting all night. Jim was never closer than ten miles from the scene all evening.
<br>
<br>Toward the end of the shift Marion County dispatch contacted me to see if I could check an alarm at a Washington Township School about five miles south. the WTS Police on duty that night were at other schools.
<br>While checking the alarm the robbery alarm went off.
<br>
<br>Jim and his partner moved out of their district toward Ravenswood toward the end of the shift. Jim and I had riden to work together in his car.
<br>
<br>We were the second car to arrive because of the logistics of the situation. Any other time that night we'd have been first car. I wonder what difference that would have made.
<br>
<br>Jim was a law student who would have been a great lawyer. His goal was to be come county prosecutor.
<br>He'd have a good one, too.
<br>
<br>As for me I got no enjoyment from the fight or the aftermath. One of the three robbers died at the scene compliments of Lee Jurras' SuperVel administered by Deputy Emery Summers who was also seriously wounded. Two others escaped temporarily. Later one was acquitted based on testimony of six witnesses who said he was playing card with them--all fine citizens, I'm sure. The other served four years for first degree murder.
<br>
<br>Interesting aside. The one convicted was found guilty mostly on the basis of the bullet from Jim's gun removed from his leg. Later he was freed because his fifth amendment rights were violated by the removal of that bullet.
<br>
<br>For a year after the shooting I'd wakeup nearly everynight to the sound of gunfire and I could actually smell the gunsmoke even after waking up. I'd just reach down to the floor and touch the Rem 870 and go back to sleep.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966