Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Bag limits on tree rats are a joke. But, rules are rules...and must be enforced.

About thirty years ago I know of two old timers around here that got into an argument about who was the better squirrel hunter. They decided to have a squirrel tournament and went to the woods together one cool October morning. Once there they split up agreeing to meet back at the truck at noon straight up. I don't remember exactly which one won the event but the thing that stuck with me was that one of the old guys killed 68 squirrels with a single shot Winchester M37 12 gauge. This old man always bought a 30" full choke, then sawed off 2" of barrel claiming that gave him the perfect amount of choke for squirrels and rabbits.

I remember they said they cleaned squirrels from noon until dark. The one said he killed so many that he made two trips back to the truck to unload his harvested squirrels because they were getting hard to manage. I assume the other guy killed about as many or more. Like I said, I don't remember who won. I do know these old fellers cleaned them the hard way by splitting the hide across the back and pulling from there. I'd bet those squirrels were a mess by the time those old geezers got done wrestling them around.

Last edited by MOGC; 09/05/16.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.