Start at the top champ.

Secondary Pressure Spikes

Originally Posted by thread
I started loading up with a load from a popular manual. Went all the way to max load with no typical pressure signs.
My computer was showing a primary pressure of about 65000 psi and a secondary of about 80000 psi. Well I didnt believe the secondary spike.
So I decided to keep going up until I say something happen. When I got to about 67-68000 the pressure stopped going up on the primary spike, and was going off scale on the secondary. I kept going up on the powder charge, nothing out of the ordinary, no extraction problems, no sticky bolt, nothing.
Kept going up and on the next shot the rifle kicked like he##! Pressure was still off scale, round ejected nicely, no flatened primer, nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the graph, same things only a little longer off scale on the secondary. Chronograph showing the same readings.
Fired once more.....kicked like #$%^ again ! Still cant find anything wrong ! Brass looks good, speeds are the same, everything is normal.Pressure goes off scale at about 90000 and is staying off for a while.
Fired once more......kicked like !@#$ again .
Whats going on here ?
I looked down at the muzzle and I had blown the muzzle brake completely off the rifle.....blown it off at the first row of ports... ..blew the brake completely off the barrel.

Course I don't expect a guy like you to get it - after basically calling out Ken H. I'm not one of his largest fans but the guy was generally considered an expert on the matter - given the books he's written and published on the topic and his time as an editor. Fact remains - Charlie had the equipment and ran the tests - went hot enough to blow the end of the barrel off the gun and ZERO typical indicators on the brass.

IMO - brass condition isn't a guarantee that you're under max.

Me