Originally Posted by Jeff_O

You guys are starting from the premise that the ultimate rifle is a LA M70, then building light from there, then calling that the ultimate lightweight hunting rifle. If viewed more correctly for the purposes of this discussion then maximum utility per pound is the metric.

By the way I think those M70's are great looking and well thought out packages. I just think you are trying to shoehorn them into the category. Take the word "ultimate" out of the title and replace it with "excellent" or "classiest" and you might just have it.

With due regard to my good friends Bob and Rick, I agree 100% with everything you wrote there Jeff.

For my definition of "lightweight" (sub 7lbs, scoped with sling and rounds - it doesn't make sense to talk about a rifle any other way), most M70's just can't get there. Not really.

Case in point, I have a superb little SA M70 Classic Stainless 308 Featherweight. It's in a McMillan Edge with 1/2" Pad. Replacing the all-steel versions, it wears PT&G aluminum bottom metal, and a graphite follower. With a 6x36 Leupold in X-Low Talley Lwt's, 4 rounds and an Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling (about the lightest functional sling out there) it still weighs 7lbs 3.5 oz's.

That's 13.2 oz's heavier than my Kimber MT 308 with the same scope...

While I wouldn't call my M70 an "Ultimate Lightweight," in some ways its extra heft is a good thing, and I sure as heck like M70's. But I can promise 13 oz's less weight on a BP hunt makes a difference.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery