Originally Posted by Dogshooter
"Ultimate" actually leaves a lot of room for interpretation...

The "ultimate" custom lightweight is really anything your heart desires... you'd have to be very specific to come up with a winner here.

The "ultimate" factory Lightweight is undoubtedly the Kimber Montana...

The "ultimate" value Lightweight is probably the Tikka SL...

The "ultimate" Custom/Semi-Custom is probably the NULA... or the Rifles, Inc. Strata...

Is it the "ultimate" LW Deer rifle... or Elk rifle... or Sheep rifle? Because those can certainly be different in dimension, weight, and caliber.

Here's my "ultimate" Lightweight... and pretty much "ultimate" hunting rifle in general. It's not the lightest "Lightweight" on this thread... but so far, it's the only one you can shoot without plugs and/or muffs...

Kimber Montana in .300 WSM, cut to 17" for use with a suppressor. With the can attached: it's the same length as your average 24" barreled '06. It only weighs 7.5lbs all up, with rounds, sling, optic, and suppressor. It shoots 200s/208s at 2750 and 155s at 3050... does it easily sub-moa, with recoil similar to that of a .270 Win. It sounds like a .22 lr when you shoot it... but it's fully capable of clobbering any critter that I ever hope to hunt.

[Linked Image]

Shoots several bullets like this... at 100

[Linked Image]

... to 700

[Linked Image]

Good thread.

This suppressed Montana is a very interesting take on a lightweight
hunting rifle.

I think for true wilderness backcountry use, such as a backpack type hunt the pr-64 M70 with open sights and quick detach scope mounts makes a lot of sense to me.

Many of these types of hunts take place in grizzly country, so a long action round also makes sense.

If packing in by horse you can skip the open sights a just carry a Leupold fixed power spare in q.d. rings for a back up. Never know when a horse wreck could damage your scope.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.