Originally Posted by RickF
Jeff and Brad, I won't disagree with any of what you have said. But for me, ultimate lightweight and ultimate lightweight hunting rifle are not close to the same thing. I have had the Montana 7mm-08, no thanks.

The green stocked 280 above is 7 pounds 0 oz with a 6X36 and 7-4 with that Kahles CL. It was designed for lightweight backpacking but more importantly hitting in the field. When I spec'ed it I didn't go all-out for lightest weight, obviously. That is a kevlar stock, 22.9 oz with alloy trigger guard and blind mag. DD rings which are in every way superior to LWs except for a couple ounces, a barrel 23" with a .575" muzzle which could have been slimmer but was designed to be slightly muzzle heavy. A Leeper-tuned original pre-64 trigger which is safe, 2 pounds and dead crisp. And yes Brad, the bolt modified to clear a super low ocular, not that you can tell (the 6X36 is in super-low DDs). smile

I could have easily dropped a half pound but designed it for hitting in the field and backpacking durability. And like yours my rifles see mountains every year.

I don't post as much here anymore but shoot a lot more. In excess of 10 000 rounds a year, 2/3 of that in silhouette. You want to learn hitting in the field which at its essence is trigger squeeze and more importantly follow through, take up silhouette. There is no replacement for actual trigger time. I know what fits, and hits, for me. You want to see a backpacking AND hitting field rifle, look again at my pic. smile i will carry the extra half pound. Been there done that.

The thread was about "ultimate lightweight", so I offered my opinion and experience.

As devoted an M70 fan as I am, I just don't think they belong in the category. IMO however, they are a superior all-around wilderness wandering rifle when properly kitted.

I do think, to fully qualify, they need detachable scope mounts and open sights. And yes, I will take the M70 open trigger over any closed trigger for a hard-duty rifle. I'll disagree about your DD's being "superior in every way" to Talley Lwt's. I see it exactly the opposite. To each his own. Will add, I fully believe the plain-jane Weavers superior to the DD's in every way for a rifle in this category.

Here's one of my M70s... a 270 with 6x36. As shown, 7lbs 1.9oz's. Same as yours, just that the McMillan is 24.0 oz's, hence the difference. It will eventually get open sights. It's a superb midweight "practical rifle" that settles down easier for the shot than my Kimbers... but I'll always take one of my Kimbers for mountain hunting, BTDT.

Differences make the world go round, and there are many paths to the same end.

[Linked Image]

Its older, heavier brother:

[Linked Image]

To me, the "ultimate" is still a muzzle heavy, sub 7lb all-up rifle, but with a no.2 contour (.600+ @ 22")... I'll eventually own such a rifle when one of my Kimbers gets rebarreled.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery