I don't shoot coyotes when deer hunting except when fur prices are high or I feel like shooting a coyote.

Years ago when coyotes were sky high money I hunted the last day of mule deer season with an older friend who was a crotchety pro wolfer, and his son-n-law. We wanted meat and he forbade his son-in-law and me to shoot a coyote unless it was a sure thing shot. As it got light I was hiking up a pine timbered ridge and spotted a pair of coyotes in a pasture far below. Too far. Not a good place to call. Kept climbing.

I came to an ideal calling ambush. Hmmm... Called with my old Weems and both coyotes disappeared. A few minutes later they both showed up 75 yards below me in a steep meadow. Not a sure thing. They came on and a third coyote joined them. At 15 feet I decided that this was pretty close to a sure thing and shot two of them.

I've shot them and not shot them. One day still hunting deer I paused on a timbered bench and while I stood there a coyote walked past within 20 feet of me. I let it go, then regretted it because coyotes have been hard on fawns in that area. About that time its mate came along following the lead coyote's tracks. Bang.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/07/16.