Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by mudhen
Lots of research has proven that the more coyotes you kill, the more offspring they make, and they make them a lot faster than you can kill them.

I'm not sure about that. An adult pair breeds once a year, period. And that pair are only capable of rearing/feeding so many pups. Just like any wild animal the size of the litter is controlled by the availability of food.
That they would or could "make more off spring and make em faster" sounds more like an old wives tale than science to me but I'm not a biologist...just a old guy that's been hunting Coyotes for 50+ years so what do I know.
The simple explanation is that the two factors that contribute the most to coyote numbers are female age at first breeding and litter size in females. In stable populations, it is rare to find a female breeding before the age of three, and litter sizes (in utero) average a little more than two per female.

When you start removing animals from the population, the social structure breaks down, and the more animals you remove the more it is disrupted. In heavily harvested populations, virtually all of the one-year-old females will have bred, and the average litter size for all age classes will be somewhere around six. So, you have more than three times as many females breeding (because there are a lot more young females than older ones) and each female is putting more than twice as many pups on the ground. Even with an increase in the mortality rate of sub adult pups, population growth increases dramatically.

No old wives were involved or consulted in any of these research projects. grin

Well then....explain to me why when a good ADC man that knows Coyotes and how to use snares is hired to go into an area the Coyote population not only drops but also takes years (sometimes a decade) to recover. Not science or wives tales....just real world first hand experience with some simple math thrown in for good measure...:)

We have trappers on our lease. Snares and cyanide guns. I"ve only seen them take more and more coyotes the longer they've been there? Wouldn't that indicate increase rather than decrease? Of course useing cyanide guns is lazy to me, but it seems to work on lots of critters. Makes me have to be really careful with my trailing dog...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....