My wife and a few friends all killed their elk 2 seasons ago with Winchester 150 Gr Power Points. I was very pleased and surprised at how well they worked on elk. Breaking major bone (upper leg) on 2 elk of the 4 elk killed with them, 2 bullets didn't exit, but the recovered bullets weigh 134 and 129 grains each.
That's as good as a Nosler partition.

The heavier 180s in the tougher bullets penetrate better. In the trees an exit wound is a BIG benefit leaving a blood trail to follow. I am usually a fanatic about my rifle loads giving me exits on elk. But with that said, I still have to praise how well the standard WW 150 gr worked and how accurate they are I get sub MOA out of my 308 with them.
Bullet weight is a bit less important then bullet construction.

In my experience my daughters 257 Roberts with 115 Barnes TSX bullets out penetrates 180 grain Sierra 30 cals in 30-06, and 300 magnums. The holes are not as big around with the 257, but they go clear through, and the Sierras don't about half the time.

I have never seen a Burger get through an elk yet regardless of caliber, rifle cambering or bullet weight.

Bullet toughness is what you want to look at first and then weight.

Last edited by szihn; 02/28/17.