Almost any bullet will kill elk ( or moose) if they are shot broadside through the forward ribs. Things get more interesting when the shot is not so perfect.
I've twice seen 150 grain cup and core .308" bullets stopped dead by the humerus/ scapula joint when elk were angling 45° towards the hunter and were shot at the point of the shoulder at moderate range. Both those elk would have escaped and would have been lost if they hadn't been shot again while they hobbled off. One was a small calf.

I have never seen a more substantial bullet of more weight stopped dead in a similar manner, a dozen other elk and moose shot with .308/180's or other heavier / larger bullets placed similarly were quickly killed when the bullet continued through that hard bone and into the vitals. However, no bullet is a sure thing.

One bull I shot at the point of the shoulder with a .375 H&H and 260gr. NP ran off as if nothing much happened. Another quick shot to the spine dropped him. That first big, strong bullet entered the point of the shoulder, broke the joint, pulverized the scapula, and exited out the same side without ever penetrating the chest cavity. Improbable, but true.

I'd hunt elk with a .308/150 cup and core bullet if that's all I had available, but I greatly prefer something heavier and stronger.

the bull that deflected the 260 gr. NP...
[Linked Image]

and the calf that stopped the 150 grain ...
[Linked Image]