Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Is there any major disadvantage to using 150 grain bullets for elk hunting. It seems the .308 users like them but the consensus is that 165 and 180 grains are the Holy Grail for the odd6. Seeing is that they are closely related is there a disadvantage?

FWIW, here's a quote from Dogzapper, a guy with one or 2 elk under his belt...

Originally Posted by Dogzapper
Are 165-grain Hornady Interlocked bullets adequate for elk? Yup, I've killed a few score with them; never had an elk need two of them and more elk dropped at the shot than not.

The 150-grain Hornady Interlocked is also an incredible elk-killing bullet. Not a classic elk bullet, perhaps, but if anything I've experienced BETTER KILLS with them than any other bullet ... .30-'06 or .308 Winchester, pick your poison.

Note: Elk killing is considerable different than writing stuff in the gun-funnybooks. Also, frankly, it takes many, many years of elk killing to understand what works, what kinda works and what is gonna leave you following a long blood-trail with quite possibly a horrible evening at the end of it.

The Hornady Interlocked 165s and 150s work very well on elk and I prefer them to the 180s and 190s. (That was the next question and I saved someone from asking it)

Steve

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC